Worth updating to Portico?

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My 920 has NO reboot issues or freezes.

Ive read that after the update people seem to have gotten freezes/reboots even when not experiencing them before.

So should I ignore the update or do the update?

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Of course. Its worrying that so many are reporting issues post update when their device worked flawlessly before the update.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
if your device is working the way you want it to and you dont need the wifi always on option, daytime photo's fix or reply to caller with text, then i'd say dont get it.

i didnt have rebooting issue before and dont have it afterwards.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Update. If it changes nothing or gets worse, perform factory reset with fully charged phone. Portico didn't do me any favors, but after factory reset, no reboots and excellent battery life. It will flash to Portico with factory reset, but a clean install seems to have resolved all issues I was having. I also reinstalled all my apps manually. Don't know if it had anything to do with it.

xWisp

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
My lumia 920 has been fine if not even better after the update, definitely noticing the battery improvements.

tositem

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Update. If it changes nothing or gets worse, perform factory reset with fully charged phone. Portico didn't do me any favors, but after factory reset, no reboots and excellent battery life. It will flash to Portico with factory reset, but a clean install seems to have resolved all issues I was having. I also reinstalled all my apps manually. Don't know if it had anything to do with it.

That's the part i don't like: reinstalling apps & re-configure the settings.

Or maybe there's a way for windows phone to re-download & re-configure itself like in its previous state before portico-updating?

Really appreciate it if anyone can share the tips & maybe link.

Thanks!

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That's the part i don't like: reinstalling apps & re-configure the settings.

Or maybe there's a way for windows phone to re-download & re-configure itself like in its previous state before portico-updating?

Really appreciate it if anyone can share the tips & maybe link.

Thanks!
The restore setting action needs the help of the pc client. Unfortunately the current windows phone app is still in beta state. One of the worst client I have seen in so many years.
As it is the only sensible to update your phone, I would suggest you to do it, while preparing yourselves to troubleshoot all common errors reported here in the forum.
And the only way to fix them is to flash a fresh copy of portico, no way around.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I guess Ill update and if it goes south I'll ship it in and get a replacement.

Now I just have to wait for the update. Unbranded and bought from Clove in the UK...

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
if you end up resetting your phone, dont forget about windowsphone.com. you can get all you apps that you previously purchased sent back to your phone pretty fast. it's alot better than searching for each one in the store through your phone. on windowsphone.com its just 1 click for each app. make sure you have "find my phone" in your phone settings enabled. then after you're done you can turn it back off.

mitixx

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I hadn't any strange and annoying bugs before the update, anyway I decided to install Portico. It's working perfectly, I used it for a 2 days now: no battery drains, no reboots or anything strange.
I wanted to update because, living in Europe, it added also the LTE connectivity to our networks and in the official changelog it said it would also increase the battery life.
It kept all my apps and settings saved/installed, but I let the update goes for quite some time, maybe 30-40min, which is lot more than the 15min prompted when you decide to start it. Have to say I feared a freeze after some time, but I decided to wait and (maybe) I was lucky.

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My (4th) 920 phone was working perfectly for the last month, 2 days battery life (light use) and never had a random restart.......That was until i downloaded the update 2 days ago and i have just suffered my 1st flat battery whilst at work today for no known reason, also, i just also experienced my first random restart!!

Hopefully, there will be another update along soon to sort out the bugs in this update!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs