No option to set upload quality

eehsun

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I have recently purchased the Lumia 920. Today I was jogging around the settings and I have noticed that I have no option to set the photo/video upload quality to "Best"
The phone did not come with the SkyDrive app preinstalled so I've installed it from the store but that does not seem to have made any difference

Under
Settings > Applications > Photos+Camera >Autoupload
I only have a SkyDrive toggle (on/off)

Under
Settings > System > Backup > Photos
I only have two options
- Do not upload
- Upload (may use data plan)
(I have translated the expressions so they may not be 100% accurate)
which is again, only a toggle.

So I don't seen to be able to find the setting for photo/video autoupload quality. The device has the latest Portico update. Any advice?
Thanks!

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
That is because it uploads your photos with the quality, size and aspect ratio that they're taking in. The quality settings of your photos, is optional from within your camera settings.

eehsun

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response!
I have let the phone autoupload a test photo that I have taken to SkyDrive, and the photo on SkyDrive has a resolution of 1278*720, which appears to be downsized from the original photo taken from the camera. And I do not have any option to change this :(

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Ah, my bad!

Look, go to SETTINGS -> APPLICATIONS -> PHOTOS + CAMERA look down and click on "auto upload - SKYDRIVE"

There you can choose "Good quality" and "Best quality", as well as video upload quality.

I've never paid attention to the quality of uploaded images, took it for granted I guess. But, now I am aware, so thanks for asking for help - it helped me as well!

eehsun

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Glad that I could be of help :)

However, that option is precisely the option that I am missing

Under
Settings > Applications > Photos+Camera >Autoupload
I only have a SkyDrive toggle (on/off), so no option to set the quality, just a switch

Same for
Settings > System > Backup > Photos

@James
That is what I am trying to get (I am on wi-fi most of the time)

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
That is quite odd. Are you singed in to your SkyDrive app?

After clicking on "SkyDrive turned on" I get to that next screen ------------------->

wp_ss_20130131_0001.png wp_ss_20130131_0002.png

pewpewbangbang

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I think you have to be in the US region to be able to set upload quality.

I heard someone mention it before that when they set region to US that it allowed them these backup options.

I'm on AT&T so mine under backup and auto upload says I can do best quality only on wi-fi

eehsun

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses!

I have found a thread that gives the same reason for the missing option.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/210781-automatic-upload-skydrive.html#post1842907

So I have changed the region and language settings to US and US English, restarted the phone, and here is what I see in the option page:

wp_ss_20130131_0001.png

So this something that I'm going to have to live with, I guess, right?
Utterly ridiculous move by Microsoft. As if I am in some disadvantaged region where Wi-Fi does not exist :D lol I can't think of anything that would justify this.

Not a dealbreaker but it would be nice to have a full-quality autoupload option. At least I can set the quality for manual uploads (via the SkyDrive app)

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This is strange... Microsoft's skydrive app for the 808 allows full resolution/original quality images to be uploaded to skydrive over mobile.. no need for Wi-Fi.. why would they limit this on the 920 ? I bet AT&T had to do something with that one... Is it the same on international/unlocked units ?

hamzie11

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
are you in australia?

This setting is not avail in aus.. so im assuming some other regions (such as yours) will not have it either (unless you flash a different ROM)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I think you have to be in the US region to be able to set upload quality.

I heard someone mention it before that when they set region to US that it allowed them these backup options.

I'm on AT&T so mine under backup and auto upload says I can do best quality only on wi-fi

This is correct. The options for upload quality and video backup vary by region. Lumias in other countries, like Australia for one example I'm aware of, don't have the best quality option I think.

Not sure if changing your phone region yourself if going to remedy that, it could be a small difference in OS versions.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
If you upload manually (as in go into the pictures hub, select pictures, and hit save to SkyDrive) it is ALWAYS best quality either wifi or over the carrier...makes no difference. Literally the only way to not get best quality is to set it to auto-upload and choose one of the other options besides best quality.

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
If you upload manually (as in go into the pictures hub, select pictures, and hit save to SkyDrive) it is ALWAYS best quality either wifi or over the carrier...makes no difference. Literally the only way to not get best quality is to set it to auto-upload and choose one of the other options besides best quality.

That has been my method, and obvious reason why I did not notice any difference in quality after uploading.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers