Battery down 13% in 2 hours!!

ryanj04

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have had amazing battery life with my Lumia 920 and considered myself lucky I didn't have any of the battery drain issues or anything else for that matter. But come this morining I took my phone off the charger just made one quick phone call (literally like 30 seconds) and sent one text. I picked it up two hours later and it is down to 87% and as I am typing this it went down another 1%... I did a "soft reset" about 30 minutes ago but that didn't seem to help. I also checked the background tasks and I have the same two apps running in the background as I did on day 1 of getting the phone... I don't know what is going on or what else to do. Any suggestions?

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I have had amazing battery life with my Lumia 920 and considered myself lucky I didn't have any of the battery drain issues or anything else for that matter. But come this morining I took my phone off the charger just made one quick phone call (literally like 30 seconds) and sent one text. I picked it up two hours later and it is down to 87% and as I am typing this it went down another 1%... I did a "soft reset" about 30 minutes ago but that didn't seem to help. I also checked the background tasks and I have the same two apps running in the background as I did on day 1 of getting the phone... I don't know what is going on or what else to do. Any suggestions?
There is defiantly something strange going on with either software or hardware, My phone was in my pocket and it went into battery drain while not in use it drained from over 90% to needing to be charged in less then 2 hours. the day before it had only dropped to 70% after 8 hours of use.Its Just impossible to work out how long it is going to last on any give day.

ryanj04

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
There is defiantly something strange going on with either software or hardware, My phone was in my pocket and it went into battery drain while not in use it drained from over 90% to needing to be charged in less then 2 hours. the day before it had only dropped to 70% after 8 hours of use.Its Just impossible to work out how long it is going to last on any give day.

Yeah it is very odd... I never had any problems and would normally go through a whole day and there would be 60% left over so my battery life has been stellar up to this point.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
you guys do aware that the wp8 infamous crazy battery measurement right? try to reset it sometimes will show you the right battery level. Sometimes even after battery died, you force a restart, it magically shows another 20% juice in the jar. Bottom line, it might just broken.

ryanj04

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
When you select Battery Saver, does it show you the days since last charged?

No it does not give that information... But it says I have about 1 day and 16 hours left which cant be right when it is dropping by 2% every 10 minutes... I have also done a soft reset so would that "reset" the battery indicator as well?

Raduc78

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Have you installed any new apps, some apps do not install correctly which can leave wasted CPU circles which translates to sucky battery life.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
you guys do aware that the wp8 infamous crazy battery measurement right? try to reset it sometimes will show you the right battery level. Sometimes even after battery died, you force a restart, it magically shows another 20% juice in the jar. Bottom line, it might just broken.
My phone was very hot when I picked it up. It has been doing this on and off since new. And no I do not think it should be necessary to have to reset the phone every time this happens. Win phone 7.5 was bug free for me. The problem now is trying to get it to replicate the problem in front of the Nokia Care Staff.

ric2001

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
No it does not give that information... But it says I have about 1 day and 16 hours left which cant be right when it is dropping by 2% every 10 minutes... I have also done a soft reset so would that "reset" the battery indicator as well?

I recently posted about this. When I have great battery life, I see that information. When I don't, the battery drains faster, initially. It's almost like the charging never got to a certain point to trigger that, even when it shows 100%. So maybe it "feels like" it's draining faster when it's really catching up to the actual battery level which is lower and then it stabilizes. That's just my experience... As others have said, the battery reporting is faulty and hopefully it will be fixed soon.

ceraf

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar issue today.

Last night, I used my phone until the phone turn itself off automatically. I put it on the wireless charger, but noticed that it did kept turning on and off, presumably because of the low battery level, and the wireless charger doesn't charge as quickly. I then plugged it into the standard wall charger, charged it to about 15%, and then disconnected and put it on the wireless charging plate.

The next morning (after 8 hours), I noticed the battery level was 16%. Using one of the battery status apps, I noticed that the charge level stayed around the 15-17% range. I then plugged it into the wall charger until it was about 80%. Two hours later (while at work), it's down to 60% charge left. Normally, It would only discharge about 10%. I generally have decent reception at work (no wifi), so I'm not sure what's going on.

I hope a full charge cycle will fix the problem.

Omega Point

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed it happen twice, both times shortly after taking the phone off charge I notice it was noticeably warm and the battery level had dropped (normally stays at 100% for an hour or two). Both times restarting (simply powering it off and on, not a soft reset) the phone fixed it. Normally I can get about 12 hours before it drops below 70%.

jpw21683

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I've had my AT&T Nokia Lumia 920 since launch day, and never had any battery issues...until today.

I do not have the wireless charger. I charged the phone for 6-7hrs overnight with a wall charger (like always). It was at 100% this morning. Five hours later (which DOES appear on the battery saver page) I'm down to 34%. I've literally made 1 10 minute call and sent two text messages, that's all. It's been sitting on my desk otherwise, so when I woke it and saw the low battery level I couldn't believe it.

So in my case, I've dropped 66% in 5 hours, without really using it at all. Phone does not feel warm, either.

To anyone having problems, do you have an app called "Battery Level for WP8" installed? I do, and had a live tile. I removed the tile and have disabled it from running in the background...and I think that fixed it. The battery level hasn't noticeably dropped since. It seems like this app is updated 2-3 times per week, so maybe there's a bug in the latest version? Can't remember when the latest update was.

Attached is a screenshot of the app...you can see how the battery level has tanked. wp_ss_20130131_0001.png

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I notice that occasionally my phone goes through the battery quite fast. Last night from a full charge at 10PM it was dead by the time I woke up at 8AM. I can usually go more than a day and a half without a charge.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and if you think an app uninstall fixed anything, it wasn't that app because if it was then every app is the cause.

edit: I do actually love my 920 other than the battery operation. I know I sounded a little annoyed with things. Trying to be patient until they fix this.

jpw21683

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Oh, and if you think an app uninstall fixed anything, it wasn't that app because if it was then every app is the cause.

LOL...no worries. And it's not the battery app anyways. An hour-and-a-half later, and I'm down to 26%. So the rate of decrease has slowed, but still discharging too fast considering I'm not even using it.

BUT WAIT!!!! I now recall pinning the WPCentral app to my start screen yesterday, enabling the live tile and changing the image download options. So it MUST BE the WPCentral app!

Just kidding! :excited: No idea. Won't be able to test as my phone will be going into battery saver shortly. I'll keep monitoring the next few days to see if it keeps doing this.

ryanj04

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Have you installed any new apps, some apps do not install correctly which can leave wasted CPU circles which translates to sucky battery life.

No I have not installed anything new recently and I checked the background tasks and there are only two things on there that have been that way for months.... I am down to 64% with VERY limited use today. I took the phone off the charger at about 6am this morning. I hope this does not continue because if I actually start using it it will probably be dead in no time.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
wp_ss_20130201_0002.jpgwp_ss_20130201_0003.jpg
I have one weather app set to update every three hours. Both days the phone only had light use. This is getting frustrating.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99