Why do pictures look better while focusing?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed than when the camera focuses, the photo looks really nice and clean. But when the photo is actually taken, it changes. It's not the same. The lighting may change or the focus (in close up shots more than regular shots) is not as crisp and clean.

Here is an example:

While focusing.

while focusing.jpg

Actual picture.

after focus.jpg

Why is there a difference in both shots?

Attachments

• while focusing.jpg
    while focusing.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 11

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
It's the active noise reduction they use at all times while processing the pic in the phone. I think it makes it softer. It's not a TERRIBLE, but it's also not exactly good.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
That's Nokia and their camera software. It actually applies filters and post processes pics. The softness helps with low light pics. But from what I've seen, it makes all my pics useless without more post processing I have to do manually. I could live with softness if they removed the glowing eyes from all my low light/indoor pics. Until then, camera is useless for taking people pics.

Rickosw

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
if u like the first pic ... u can always "sharpen" by using Nokia "Creative Studio" - Native App - found within your 920 ...

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
if u like the first pic ... u can always "sharpen" by using Nokia "Creative Studio" - Native App - found within your 920 ...

That's my whole problem with Nokia camera. I shouldn't have to post edit 90% of my pics to get them clear and sharp. I shouldn't have to edit out glowing eyes on every indoor pic I take. I shouldn't have to delete half of them because they can't be salvaged. Its a camera phone, point, click, done.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
2nd picture is a much higher resolution picture. First one is a low resolution viewfinder image. Believe it or not, sometimes low resolution image without proper scaling filter CAN look sharper when viewed in low resolution. That's all you are seeing here. This is not unique to L920. Bump up sharpening a bit on the 2nd image and you can get the 1st image look. I think 1st image also has contrast a bit too high. Note shadow (lower left) and highlight (H letter) details are lost there. If you like that look, increase the contrast setting on the 2nd image. It takes less than 20 seconds.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed than when the camera focuses, the photo looks really nice and clean. But when the photo is actually taken, it changes. It's not the same. The lighting may change or the focus (in close up shots more than regular shots) is not as crisp and clean.

Here is an example:

While focusing.

View attachment 27940

Actual picture.

View attachment 27942

Why is there a difference in both shots?

Just curious, can you tell us which one looks more real, while focusing pic or actual pic ? - only you know it ...

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Lumia Camera is overrated, it only works better than all other camera phones in low light situations (night shots), but for 95% of the time that one will use the phone as a camera is just ok, is a hit and mis to get a really good shot... unless you are an owl or a bat, there is no much use to the lumia camera.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The actual pic looks "more real"

Thanks ... well, "actual pic" start looks like "while focusing pic" pic just by adding high contrast, but then the details will start disappear from the down left area, just like can be seen "while focusing pic" - I did not notice that until TK2011 mentioned that ... more contrast and more gamma will make a pic look better, but unreal ...

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This is a problem with Nokia cameras, I didn't have this problem on Samsung Focus before. But HTC's have had the pink blob on center, which was gone since the coming of the Titans.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I am really happy with my Lumia 920 camera ... I feel that it gives more blur-free photos and that it is a great for low light, sun light and back light (with backlight scene) pics as well as videos ... it makes a job that I am expecting from it ... well, it is not an miracle camera - it is really good phone cam with OIS

There is a lot of great pics in a sticky thread: "Pictures/videos taken by your 920" ...

Here is a good review about it:

Nokia Lumia 920 Camera Review: Connect

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Lumia Camera is overrated, it only works better than all other camera phones in low light situations (night shots), but for 95% of the time that one will use the phone as a camera is just ok, is a hit and mis to get a really good shot... unless you are an owl or a bat, there is no much use to the lumia camera.

Strictly speaking about image quality...The problem is that you can't expect amazing quality/performance from such a small sensor... and that is where the misunderstandings about this come from. All the current "top" smartphones use 1/3" sensors.. which yields either 1.4 micron pixels @ 8Mpix, or 1.1 micron pixels at 12-13Mpix. No matter what you do.. the image quality will be ****ty. That is why the difference between a ip5, gs3, and a 920 is.. negligible.

The fact that Nokia managed to get a much better performance at night out of this small sensor is something to be proud of. When you add the HAAC mics, and the OIS effect during video recording, you have something to separate yourself from the rest.

If you want consistent real image quality.. there is only one phone currently on sale that would provide you with that, and that is the PureView Phase 1 system offered by Nokia.

sanders2232

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
For the comment that lumia cameras are over rated, you are incorrect it takes better pictures in almost all situations better then any other device except the Nokia 808. Look at any picture you take on the 920 and any other device on your PC and you will see the truth! Samsung fools you with their screens, photos look amazing on the phone then soon as download onto PC different story.

I have two phones for work and personal cause it's required. S3 work and 920 personal. But if your only a mobile person and don't care what your picture quality looks on PC Samsung devices are fine.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss