High cellular data consumption

rollo.martins

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

With my Lumia 920 I have a daily data consumption of several dozen megabytes, up to 100 sometimes. I regularly exceed the 500 MB bucket I subscribed to, which I never did with the iPhone before. This will cost me 250 $ extra per year and is inacceptable.

Does anyone have an idea where this excessive data usage could stem from. Similar experience? Is this a wp8 problem?

Regards and thanks

R.

rollo.martins

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Just found another posting which says it is related to the fact that WiFi is switched off as soon as the screen goes off. So background data is always transferred through the cellular net. Looks plausible to me. Hoping for the portico update now which will allow data to use WiFi with the screen switched off.

R.

bganesan

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the Portico update and it doesnt make sense when I see 20MB of data being uploaded at night. My wifi is on always ( enabeld ON when screen is off). I got over my limit again this month because of 4 chunks of 20 to 30MB data usages.

franmav4

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
This morning, I found that my data does not switch over automatically to my Wifi at home even though it shows connected. This explains my high data usage as you would think that once you are connected to wifi, that is where your data is coming though. Unless I am doing something wrong, I still see that my data icon is running as well as my wifi. (this wasn't the case on my previous andriod phone). I do not want to keep switch my data on and off everytime.

I checked this by going to check my external IP on my device which shows that it is connected to my phone provider and as soon as I connect at my home wifi, this IP remains the same. As soon as I disable my data, the IP immediately changes to my home broadband. Switching the data back on will leave it on my home broadband until I disconnect.

Has anyone else found this? I do not have the portico update as yet!

DFB

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Of course it can. What type of streaming wouldn't make use of any type of connection? Why don't you try turning one of the options off while using the other? It's great for battery draining issues to. There are dozens of shortcut apps for connectivity, pin 2 for the connections and turn them on/off accordingly

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos