Do you use NFC for anything on your lumia 920?

Mr Manson

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I know what NFC is and stuff but can't thing of something to put it into use. Do you guys use it? if yes, how and what?

P.S. A colleague of mine owns a Samsung S3. He showed me some NFC-sticker he bought. As soon as he puts his phone on the sticker, his phone reconizes the sticker and activates what he has put on the sticker (Wifi On, Volume OFF, GPS On... ). At home he puts his phone on sticker number 2 and it activates new settings. Its so cool. Do you guys happen to do similar stuff with your Lumia 920?

Thanks

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
No use for it at the moment. No plans to buy one of those stickers. I know Sony gave some away with their first NFC phone, to encourage adoption.

I won't be buying any, just don't see the point. Perhaps when you can use them to buy stuff with it will come in to its own.

Daniel Edwards

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nokia 360 wireless speaker with NFC, put my 920 on top, connects and the music is transferred to the speaker. Its early days but no doubt like my contactless payments in Starbucks, my 920 will be charged simply by using the nfc..

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I also don't see much use for NFC atm. I personally don't ever see myself using NFC for paying transactions. That entire concept has abuse and theft written all over it.

Pedro Hicken

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I also don't see much use for NFC atm. I personally don't ever see myself using NFC for paying transactions. That entire concept has abuse and theft written all over it.

Im probably going to go for Orange for that very reason. NFC was one of the main reasons (if not THE main reason) why i bought the 920.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
You can't transfer media files with other platforms, just text files, you can transfer media files though with another wp8, just an fyi

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I tried it with my hubby who also has a 920 and it works great for transferring files and such. Only weird thing was that the 920 wants you to have your BT turned on (Tap and Send). The Galaxy S3 doesn't require that. NFC is still very new and there are just a small number of vendors utilizing it (CVS Pharmacy for one) so it's just to early to tell. Nice idea though

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Had a quick read of all the comments so far... Seems I won't be changing my opinion of it any time soon. So far I cannot see any advantage over a Bluetooth connection. In fact it appears to be somewhat inferior based on the comments above.

rajkumr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Had a quick read of all the comments so far... Seems I won't be changing my opinion of it any time soon. So far I cannot see any advantage over a Bluetooth connection. In fact it appears to be somewhat inferior based on the comments above.

NFC is more like an initiator for the actual Bluetooth connection.
Instead of typing pairing codes for Bluetooth connections, NFC takes care of it automatically by transmitting a small quantity of data or instructions in a short burst rather than a continuous stream.

All NFC phones with tap to send like features use NFC for initial pairing and then switch over to Bluetooth for the actual transfer. Ditto for speakers and such.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I've used it to transfer contacts with S3 and it worked fine. But media files just couldn't get through.

I tried it with my hubby who also has a 920 and it works great for transferring files and such. Only weird thing was that the 920 wants you to have your BT turned on (Tap and Send). The Galaxy S3 doesn't require that. NFC is still very new and there are just a small number of vendors utilizing it (CVS Pharmacy for one) so it's just to early to tell. Nice idea though

Samsung uses a propriety system to transfer media files on the S3 called S-Beam. The S3 uses WiFi-direct for the pairing process and only connects to other S3's. The Lumia 920 uses Bluetooth OBEX for the pairing process which is why Bluetooth has to be enabled.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
NFC is more like an initiator for the actual Bluetooth connection.
Instead of typing pairing codes for Bluetooth connections, NFC takes care of it automatically by transmitting a small quantity of data or instructions in a short burst rather than a continuous stream.

All NFC phones with tap to send like features use NFC for initial pairing and then switch over to Bluetooth for the actual transfer. Ditto for speakers and such.
Cheers for that, I didn't realise that... That now means I am even less impressed than I was previously.

Really looking for someone to sell me on how it is a benefit. I see the fact that I will not have to enter a passcode, but is that it?

Not hating on any that use it, looking to be educated and impressed.

Corey

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a pack of stickers and am just waiting for them to arrive. I've been kind of digging the idea of setting up different profiles on different stickers for different environments (car settings, home settings, work settings, school settings). I've read that there's a limitation in WP8 on what can and can't be done, though, so I'm curious to see what the limitations are. I've also been keeping an eye out for what others are doing with them.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a pack of stickers and am just waiting for them to arrive. I've been kind of digging the idea of setting up different profiles on different stickers for different environments (car settings, home settings, work settings, school settings). I've read that there's a limitation in WP8 on what can and can't be done, though, so I'm curious to see what the limitations are. I've also been keeping an eye out for what others are doing with them.

This is something I hope gets fixed in the next update. AFAIK you can only open 3rd party apps via NFC. If MS opens up the profiles to NFC it'll be a huge plus and I would definitely buy a bunch of tags for home, work and my car. It would be great to 'tag' my phone when I enter my classroom and have it turn email to manual, phone to silent, etc. and then tag it when I enter my office and have it change the settings.

I also don't understand why Nokia put NFC on the bottom of the charging stand. When I bought it I thought when I put the phone on the charger it would activate the app of my choice (like exhibition mode on webOS) as opposed to having to tap it to the bottom. I'd like to put a tag on the actual charging area if MS opens up the protocols.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I know what NFC is and stuff but can't thing of something to put it into use. Do you guys use it? if yes, how and what?

P.S. A colleague of mine owns a Samsung S3. He showed me some NFC-sticker he bought. As soon as he puts his phone on the sticker, his phone reconizes the sticker and activates what he has put on the sticker (Wifi On, Volume OFF, GPS On... ). At home he puts his phone on sticker number 2 and it activates new settings. Its so cool. Do you guys happen to do similar stuff with your Lumia 920?

Thanks

Only use ive found for NFC is to turn it off. One less thing to drain the poor battery. Im feeling quite sorry for the battery, seems to be taking a pounding for no reason.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Ayush, interesting, not doubting you, but this was not supposed to be possible, are you sure you used NFC and not Bluetooth? Media transfers with NFC was not supported between platforms, maybe something changed with portico's update

J Hisham

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I transfered songs with a symbian phone.. and a video from an S3 a fw day back. Own a Lumia 920

Tried it this afternoon with a buddy of mine who's using S3, and the only thing I could transfer with him was my contacts and vice versa. Both of us couldn't send pics thru NFC.
When he tried to send the image to my NL920, it kept prompting "the recipient cannot receive huge file size", and that image was just like 2MB in size.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion