Nokia Lumia 920 Damaged

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
A few weeks after having convinced my brother to purchase (from AT&T) what I feel is the most technologically advanced and durable phone in the market, he somehow found a way to "break" the device that some people have put labels like "a tank," "brick," and "invincible" on.

My brother, a MechE at UVA , was riding a bike down a hill on campus going "full speed" with his phone in his jacket pocket. Somehow, the phone fell out of his pocket and landed full force on to concrete - unfortunately, screen down. Disappointingly, after having convinced him that his phone would probably never damage, it did. It should be noted however, that though I use the word damage, I am specifically referring to the screen, as the device remains fully functional.

I have posted pictures below to show the extent of the damage, it seems that there was a concentrated impact area on the upper left corner of the device that resulted in a few cracks running a short ways down the screen. The body of the device seems to be in good shape, with minor damage in the upper left corner. The cracks seem to be very deep, but remain concentrated on a small portion of the length of the screen. *** The device did not have a case on, however it did have a screen protector covering both the full screen and back of the device.

I have not seen the device in person, nor do I know the full extent of the "accident," so I can not speculate on how well the Lumia 920 held up, but it is obvious to assume that glass will crack when dropped with enough force. NOTE: What look like scratches on the back of the device are only on the screen protector.

If you have any remarks on what could have happened (where specifically the device landed), what to do next, how to replace a screen, or the most price efficient way to repair the damage that would be greatly appreciated. I am 100% sure that had the device landed on it's back the damage would be significantly less, if noticeable at all.

Note: Bit of a catch 22 here: the pictures my brother sent me are of average quality largely due to the fact that his subject is what he would normally use. Lumia 920 1.jpgLumia 920 2.jpgLumia 920 3.jpgLumia 920 4.jpg

Last edited:

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Think somebody posted somewhere they can fix the screen, but it was pretty pricey.

No phone is damage proof, mine has a slight scratch on the screen, very hard to see, but there. Not sure how it go there either since I never drop my phone.

I told my parents about the phone and i said, if you dont like it, not my fault. I never convince people to get certain phones because im not a salesman, if i was, MS would need to pay me.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Think somebody posted somewhere they can fix the screen, but it was pretty pricey.

No phone is damage proof, mine has a slight scratch on the screen, very hard to see, but there. Not sure how it go there either since I never drop my phone.

I told my parents about the phone and i said, if you dont like it, not my fault. I never convince people to get certain phones because im not a salesman, if i was, MS would need to pay me.
I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to cellular devices so I felt confident in recommending him a phone, I laid out all the options and gave unbiased pros and cons for each device. It just so happened that the Lumia 920 fit his lifestyle better than others (though he was on the verge of buying an Iphone)

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I hope your brother wasn't convinced that the device was as invincible as mjolnir. If he was, his future as a mechanical engineer is questionable. Any time you carry a 600 dollar device you take care with it or you risk losing 600 bucks.

Get him to buy a new LCD with digitizer and he can replace it himself. Consider it part of his education in mech eng.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
The initial point of impact was clearly the top left corner of the phone. Corner appear to be a weak point for this device.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I hope your brother wasn't convinced that the device was as invincible as mjolnir. If he was, his future as a mechanical engineer is questionable. Any time you carry a 600 dollar device you take care with it or you risk losing 600 bucks.

Get him to buy a new LCD with digitizer and he can replace it himself. Consider it part of his education in mech eng.
I'm not sure where you got the idea that he thought his phone was invincible - I merely said it was labelled by some to be invincible, an obvious overstatement. Your comment would have made more sense had he neglected his phone, but the situation described was an obvious accident and he of course took care of his phone as best he could with the idea that a cover was not needed (with the addition of 2 screen protectors (back and front). It is also rude and unnecessary to attack him as a person. I think people are seeing this most as if I am writing it in a disappointed and negative light, I am simply stating what happened so there is no need to be defensive about the device.
Also, just so you know - his MechE career has just begun with him being hired as an Engineer for Chrystler (3.9 GPA), his dream job, thank you for your concern.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
The initial point of impact was clearly the top left corner of the phone. Corner appear to be a weak point for this device.
A useful reply, thank you. I haven't been following this device on forums much lately so I did not know that the corners are susceptible to damage.

DNTracy

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Dude was totes just joshin'. Slightly annoying humor, but not rude. His suggestion of hands-on work as a form of education is much appreciated: lord knows our engineers don't get enough hands-on time, particularly in academic settings.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Dude was totes just joshin'. Slightly annoying humor, but not rude. His suggestion of hands-on work as a form of education is much appreciated: lord knows our engineers don't get enough hands-on time, particularly in academic settings.
Sounded rude to me, I didn't hear any relieving qualities in his comment, but I guess it doesn't matter what I think anymore lol.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Honestly? Your best bet would to be to Craigslist the broken L920 for the best offer, which will be like around 350 or so depending on the repair shop quote or how much it costs for a digitizer on eBay. Then you use that $350 for a BB10. :grincry:

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. No need to cite GPAs, other people graduated top of the class all the time.

At OP, hopefully he can actually make Chrysler better, considering I've rebuilt several Chrysler engines because they don't last at all, they could desperately use it.

*Edit - I'm serious about the Chrysler part, unfortunately :(

Last edited:

DNTracy

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
My Cherokee has 228,000 miles. The ol' 3.3 and 3.8's out of minivans used to post mileage upwards of 300,000. The modern HEMI is very reliable. I'm a big fan of Chrysler engines. There have been a few misses, but overall, I dig em.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Been many misses in the modern generation. I've had GMs fall apart around me before the engine died yet every 4 cylinder Chrysler (the v8s aren't plagued by this problem it seems) I've had the unfortunate pleasure of owning or working on was awful. I actually had a piston collapse at 130k on the 2.4L.

Meh, when it comes to engines, sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

DNTracy

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Which 2.4? We talkin' the PT Cruisers and Neon SRT4s, base minivans, Cirrus, Stratus, etc? Or are we talkin' the 2007+ "World Engine" found in Calibers, Compasses, and other Mitsubishi-based Chryslers?

bushkilla

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

Mine also landed a short distance onto the top left corner & it completely destroyed the screen. Had mobiles since forever (I'm 40) & have never seen a phone as easily damaged as this.

This is a well known (to a degree) issue that Nokia would rather everyone never knew about (mainly given the extent that they marketed the phone as so solid & sturdy) There's even videos of people running over one in a car & hitting it with a hammer.

In my (apparently typical) case, I was simply getting out of my car & it fell out of my pocket & onto the ground. It instantly shattered the screen. It's happening because 920s are so heavy & that's the main reason why they brought out the 925 (it's considerably lighter) But that's too late for all of us...

Nokia 920 heavily cracked screen after short drop ... - Page 3 - Nokia Support Discussions

As you can see there's many people who are in the same situation & I was also discouraged from the shop I bought it not to worry about a case (there was none even available at the time) because the Gorilla glass 2.0 was meant to be so sturdy. Today I was quoted by the same shop & a replacement screen would be ?150. And my Xenon Flash has already previously packed in. If I was to have it repaired elsewhere for any cheaper then they could no longer fix my flash as it would have invalidated my warranty.

You only find all this stuff after it's too late. Don't trust either Nokia or a Salesperson. I won't be buying another Nokia after this. This was their last chance from my last 3 phones which have became increasingly dissappointing for lots of reasons. This being by far the worst by a country mile.

elyodeel

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Obviously this comment won't help the OP, but I'm not convinced that the 920 is going to break automatically when you drop it on the corner. I've dropped mine once, and it was about four feet, onto concrete, it landed straight on the upper left corner. The phone was naked and the only damage is an indentation in the plastic. That being said, when I am at work, it is in an otter box because I work at a refinery and this is a perilous place for mobile electronics.

bushkilla

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Obviously this comment won't help the OP, but I'm not convinced that the 920 is going to break automatically when you drop it on the corner. I've dropped mine once, and it was about four feet, onto concrete, it landed straight on the upper left corner. The phone was naked and the only damage is an indentation in the plastic. That being said, when I am at work, it is in an otter box because I work at a refinery and this is a perilous place for mobile electronics.

There must be at least a 50/50 chance it would break as I've only dropped mine once & that was enough

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo