Personal email and push sync

jh20001

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
So I have an email account on my on cpanel backed server. I have my emails coming to the phone but it only allows your typical 15 min+ checks. It doesn't give me an option for "as it arrives". What measures do you have to take to push your emails to your phone when you have a custom email.

jh20001

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
You would need IMAP, rather than POP3.

Yep. I have it on IMAP4 (vs POP). I even have the ports and the checkboxes set for SSL as well. Mail comes and goes perfectly fine but in terms of sync options, it only gives me the usual 15min, 30min, hourly, every 2 hours and manually. No option for "as it comes" or "push". What is wrong? I even deleted the account, went to settings, Add Account, Advanced and re-entered it in as IMAP4 with all of the settings. Sill the same. Am I doing something incorrect?

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Check out Nuevasync . I use if for my work, imap email and it is great. It will set to get as items arrive. It costs $ 30, but well worth it for me.

jh20001

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Check out Nuevasync . I use if for my work, imap email and it is great. It will set to get as items arrive. It costs $ 30, but well worth it for me.

Ya lol, I'm not going to pay $30 when my phone *should* be capable of doing it by default.

I just added one of my gmail accounts and it allows me to use it. So they don't want to allow 3rd party mail servers access to push mail feature??

Last edited:

jh20001

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
most of the mail service out there are allow to push mail into the client, what are you talking about?

Not if you own your own domain appearantly. You have to be using one of the common branded services it seems (Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook, etc). If you hit Other or Advanced as an option to add your account instead of one of the branded giants, you lose the ability to push email. Correct me if I am wrong but I have tried it a dozen times now.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Not if you own your own domain appearantly. You have to be using one of the common branded services it seems (Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook, etc). If you hit Other or Advanced as an option to add your account instead of one of the branded giants, you lose the ability to push email. Correct me if I am wrong but I have tried it a dozen times now.

then it depends how your providers setup, i used to have a domain for my blog, not problem with that one, its bluehost btw.
i remember the setting was adding email, select advance, setup domain and other info, will have the push option below. Imap and active sync is supported.

yaashul

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a Yahoo Plus id but I am not able to setup even yahoo mail for push mail on nokia 920 it only gives 15 minute 30 minutes and so on timing rather than push mail. Is anyone able to successfully able to push mail for yahoo?

uswebworx

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I run my own servers and have this issue on POP haven't tried Imap yet as I just don't like imap, no reason why. But I cannot push it immediately or as it arrives either.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a Yahoo Plus id but I am not able to setup even yahoo mail for push mail on nokia 920 it only gives 15 minute 30 minutes and so on timing rather than push mail. Is anyone able to successfully able to push mail for yahoo?

dont you have something like "as item arrive"?

uswebworx

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
You would need IMAP, rather than POP3.
Just set up a brand new account on my server and using imap4 doesn't give the option either and nowhere to make these changes server side, it is not that big of a deal though, just link the email inboxes and manually hit the refresh button.

jh20001

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Ya. I added mine via advanced and I can once again say with 100% confidence that there was no option for push or "as it arrives". The full details of how I added was mentioned a few posts of mine ago. :( Shame on you MS

I have an account on bluehost, so I have added an email account and then added it to the phone as imap. Nothing there either. That makes 3 domains now and 2 servers.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yahoo Plus only supports POP3, not IMAP or Exchange ActiveSync.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ya. I added mine via advanced and I can once again say with 100% confidence that there was no option for push or "as it arrives". The full details of how I added was mentioned a few posts of mine ago. :( Shame on you MS

I have an account on bluehost, so I have added an email account and then added it to the phone as imap. Nothing there either. That makes 3 domains now and 2 servers.
guess is a regional thing again? I have them after portico, US ATT btw.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
But Yahoo do support Imap in case you don't know that
"Although they are both based on IMAP, the Yahoo! Mail and MobileMe push email services for iPhone do not use a standard form of P-IMAP. Yahoo! Mail uses a special UDP message to trigger an email synchronization, while Apple Inc.'s MobileMe push e-mail uses a variant of XMPP.[1]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push-IMAP

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&locale=en_US&id=SLN3255&impressions=true

yaashul

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb