Gorilla Glass 1, 2, or 3?

gman1868

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I have now had 4 phones with Gorilla Glass. Both phones with version 1, Lumia 900 and iPhone, and they both did very well resisting scratches. The Lumia after a year of use doesn't have any :)

I recently purchased a couple of new phones, the iPhone 5 and Lumia 920, both with Gorilla Glass 2. I have exercised extreme care but both of the phones have gotten a number small surface scratches on the screen.

It seems the v2 has been a downgrade in quality, which I don't care if it's cheaper because it doesn't seem to be as good. It's very disappointing.

I see they have announced Gorilla Glass 3. Maybe they put the quality back in? Your thoughts?

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Gorilla Glass 2 is not a downgrade in quality. Compared to the original Gorilla Glass, it is 20% thinner but with the same scratch resistance and strength.Gorilla Glass 3 will be even better - it will be stronger than GG2 and be 3X more scratch resistant.

I'm not sure why people keep complaining about the Gorilla Glass in the Lumia 920 and 8X. I've used them both for the past few months and don't have a single scratch.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
You didn't scratch the glass. You scratched the oil resistant coating on the glass. The coating is nowhere near as scratch resistant as the glass.

The 900 and older generation phones with gorilla glass 1 often didn't have an oleophobic coating.

gman1868

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Yup, the scratches are superficial but they are still there. Hopefully the coating will be better on v3.

Thanks for all the replies :)

Dalibor Slavenski

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I was recently got ( bought ) Galaxy Note 2, and I order a folie ( screenprotector ).

The folie was on it about month or two, and after that I removed it cause it has a small burn from cigarete ash. I watch carefully after that on my phone glass, to not put it with keys in pocket, and other stuffs like that.

After just couple of weeks, I noticed scratches... So, I beleive that's true about what they said for Gorilla Glass 2. It's less strong, and less durable .
:unhappy:

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, as mentioned by Immortal, you're scratching the oleophobic coating.
I had a teeny tiny scratch on mine, pasted a screen protector and when I removed it, the scratch was gone. I think my screen protector had removed the oleophobic coating and the scratch I made in it.

Honestly, I think all gorilla glasses are the same. They will get scratched. They will crack. Whatever they claim, it is all lab tests and not real world usage.
I just slap a SP on all my phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3