my screen goes black during a call and it doesn't come back on until i hang up the phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Davis4

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
This sounds right. When I turn on the keypad, for example to press 1 for English, the screen goes black as my finger approaches and almost just touches the keypad. To paraphrase the old story about the greatest invention, I was wondering "how does it know?"

houstonrahoyt

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
This is usually caused by something obscuring the proximity sensor such as a screen protector, dirty smudge or more commonly dust particles under the screen. If it is dust then give the ear piece a couple of strong blows or use a can of compressed air if you have one. You might want to submit your phone for repair if a lot of dust is gathering under the screen. You can tell this by looking at the front camera to see if there are any dust particles in there.
Would you people stop saying this - this probably happened ONCE and people just keep repeating this as a solution. This is a SERIOUS defect that needs to be addressed. I have had my phone for 12 hours so I doubt it's too dirty and it has no screen protector. I'll be trying the crazy pressure technique. But please stop repeating the silly solution because it is really annoying to those of us who are ticked over this problem.

houstonrahoyt

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
No, when it's working it's normal. When I take the phone away from my ear and stare at the annoying black screen, I expect the keypad to reappear - just like on my SamSung S4. On the otherhand, it appears this problem has been on these Nokia phones intermittently for quite some time - so maybe that's what you mean by normal. PS - THIS IS NOT NORMAL.

Brian St Thomas

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I recently dropped my Nokia 920 and cracked the glass on the upper right side of phone. Since then I've noticed all the phone functions worked, except the blackout during phone calls. Entering a voicemail code becomes extremely difficult in this situation. Playing around with it, I discovered putting your call on speakerphone will re illuminate your keyboard, so you can enter your password. Unfortunately, getting your phone on speaker mode requires a quick hand, and timing between the power button and the speaker icon. I will be ordering a new phone anyways, I've noticed too many glitches with the 920 series.

iamrobertkrogh

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I recently dropped my Nokia 920 and cracked the glass on the upper right side of phone. Since then I've noticed all the phone functions worked, except the blackout during phone calls. Entering a voicemail code becomes extremely difficult in this situation. Playing around with it, I discovered putting your call on speakerphone will re illuminate your keyboard, so you can enter your password. Unfortunately, getting your phone on speaker mode requires a quick hand, and timing between the power button and the speaker icon. I will be ordering a new phone anyways, I've noticed too many glitches with the 920 series.

I dropped my phone and cracked the screen too. Having the same issue. Is there not a way to tell your phone not to turn the screen off in a phone call? Or at least there should be an app for this, right? Missing my Android more and more every day... Love Windows phone, but it's the little things.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I dropped my phone and cracked the screen too. Having the same issue. Is there not a way to tell your phone not to turn the screen off in a phone call? Or at least there should be an app for this, right? Missing my Android more and more every day... Love Windows phone, but it's the little things.

In your case, the problem is due to the physical damage. Do you have a Nokia Care Center nearby? They would be able to repair the device if you are not getting a new device.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I've been frustrated with the same issue of the screen going black, and unable to do button presses while using my Bluetooth on calls. That means I can't touch the End Call button, can't switch to Speakerphone, can't dial "0" for customer service, nothing.

So I came here to search for a solution. I didn't have any dirt issues, as I make sure I use a can of air once a week, and it isn't possible for dust to get under my tempered glass screen protector.

However... upon reading this thread, I took my cleaning cloth and cleaned over the sensor area. Voila! Everything works now as it should. Turns out I just had a bad fingerprint smudge over it.

Thanks for the help to everyone that has given input.

ThankGod Nii

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Am also having the same problem, and my HTC Titan keep going off when i one it, have try a new battery still it keep going off, please someone should help me out.
thank you.

ValuableCross

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I would like to add to the possible list of solutions, this was for a nokia icon, but hopefully it adds some value.

Short story:
I began having similar issues after plugging my phone into a windows 7 pc. I tried everything listed here and nothing worked. I was able to get my phone fixed by just replugging the phone into a windows 7 pc and making a call. After unplugging it, the phone worked fine.

Long story:
I have a Nokia Icon and the screen would go blank when trying to make a call. I could not even check my voicemail as I was unable to enter the password. My problems began after the phone failed to save a video I took of my son's piano recital:)angry:). I looked on some forums and there was a tip that I should see if I could see the video by plugging the Icon into a computer(windows 7 with windows phone client app installed). I was able to see the video, however it only recorded 5mb worth. On subsequent tests this same thing happened with other videos I tried. I rebooted the phone, and videos began saving properly and showing up in the camera roll again. However, that is also when the blank screen during phone call issues popped up. After trying many things on this forums and others (including a soft reset), nothing worked. I was about to give up when I decided that maybe its just a software bug and I should try re-connecting it to a pc. I noticed when I did the the screen went from dark to bright to normal. I tried placing a call with the phone plugged in.. no blank screen. I unplugged the phone.. no blank screen! :cool:

Last edited:

Patty Sowards

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
so this just happened out of nowhere. it's never happened before. but now it happens on every call.

the second i make a call, the screen turns off and it doesn't come back on until the phone call is over. i push the power button and the screen would momentarily turn on but it goes back to black in a split second.

anybody have a fix for this?

juan rucker

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Yes,, I was experiencing this similar issue.... which i knew for a fact.,., was a issue.. the light & info would always be available for Viewing..(duh, who am I calling,, do I want to use the speaker, or even add a call).., but, recently it's been Black Screen as soon as I make a outbound call..
So,, yes clear the the front eyes of smudges & blow hard (lol) into the top front ear piece or speaker..,.. My phone is back to being Lit Lit Up, and i am relieved,., i made 3 practice calls to assure this,, before I replied with a comment.. good luck

Siva Mahamkali

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Great!! it really worked for me. I had the same problem, was thinking clearing simply dust from the ear piece really solves the problem but yes, it did. I did couple of blows at the ear piece and simply rubbed on the sensor next to the ear piece just so that it will be cleaned. Now it's working like normal phone...hehhee. It was very annoying before. Thanks for the help

livelonger

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: my screen goes black... A: CALIBRATE THE SENSOR

A little bit of comedy on my part. I tried to find where the proximity sensor was by looking at LG306G manuals; couldn't find it anywhere. I then took a label off the upper left of the screen in the black area that I had put there to identify my identical phone from my wife's. Voila! the blanking from the proximity sensor stopped so I could get to the dialpad for added selection numbers like "2 for service." Removing the label on her identical phone covering the sensor also solved her problem.
The proximity sensor is an almost unseeable pinhole in the black area at the upper left. Problem solved - for me.
Lesson learned, use a magnifying glass over the whole surface to look for little pinholes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa