Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: lumia 920 Battery Issues

i was having really bad battery life so i reset the device yesterday.

today, i took it off the charger at 6:!5am. browsed the web for maybe 20mins in the evening, played word with friends for 15mins, wordament another 5mins..had a 20mins call + 4 emails set to sync every 30mins,15mins,1hr,1hr interval + 4-5 Photos in night mode.

No facebook live tile, no weather tile.
NFC, Supersensitive touch = NO
Disabled background tasks
Killed all the apps from background.

Now @ 8:00pm, the battery is down to 7% which is far far better than what i got before the reset but still i feel like the battery life is not that great. I'm still inside the 14 days window and i wonder if i should exchange for another. what do you guys think ? Am i expecting more ? it was on LTE whole day.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

i was having really bad battery life so i reset the device yesterday.

today, i took it off the charger at 6:!5am. browsed the web for maybe 20mins in the evening, played word with friends for 15mins, wordament another 5mins..had a 20mins call + 4 emails set to sync every 30mins,15mins,1hr,1hr interval + 4-5 Photos in night mode.

No facebook live tile, no weather tile.
NFC, Supersensitive touch = NO
Disabled background tasks
Killed all the apps from background.

Now @ 8:00pm, the battery is down to 7% which is far far better than what i got before the reset but still i feel like the battery life is not that great. I'm still inside the 14 days window and i wonder if i should exchange for another. what do you guys think ? Am i expecting more ? it was on LTE whole day.

Yeah that's about what I get on some days. Not abnormal, I think. LTE is a battery killer especially if you are not always in a strong area or you carry your phone inside something that could lower signal level. I believe Nokia put a large battery just for this reason.

I think the real battery issue people are complaining about is when it just drains fast without any use over 4-6 hour period. My wife saw it happen twice with her 920 in early days (both times LTE was very weak in the area and her phone was deep inside her handbag) but hasn't seen it happen since. It doesn't seem like you fall into that category.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Yeah that's about what I get on some days. Not abnormal, I think. LTE is a battery killer especially if you are not always in a strong area or you carry your phone inside something that could lower signal level. I believe Nokia put a large battery just for this reason.

I think the real battery issue people are complaining about is when it just drains fast without any use over 4-6 hour period. My wife saw it happen twice with her 920 in early days (both times LTE was very weak in the area and her phone was deep inside her handbag) but hasn't seen it happen since. It doesn't seem like you fall into that category.
yea, i keep the phone on the table and i get good signal.

I haven't used the phone since my last post and its down to 4%.

Edit: i see that my last post was 1hr 40mins ago...i think 3% drop in that period is normal but i feel like as soon as i use the phone/browse, it drops the battery life inconsistently.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

Just thought I'd post here to help out people with battery issues narrow it down to a hardware malfunction.

My friend bought a White Lumia 920 from an AT&T store on 11/24 during their sale and he reports that he has excellent battery life. He hasn't gone a day of usage without it going under 70%. He says he doesn't really need to turn anything off and its pretty much the same way he got it from the store other than his Microsoft account and Facebook account and a dozen apps. He also, however, does NOT use Skype. Perhaps the White batch somehow escaped manufacturing defects? Hope this helps you guys. -

-a friendly Android user curious about Windows Phone

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site

Just thought I'd post here to help out people with battery issues narrow it down to a hardware malfunction.

My friend bought a White Lumia 920 from an AT&T store on 11/24 during their sale and he reports that he has excellent battery life. He hasn't gone a day of usage without it going under 70%. He says he doesn't really need to turn anything off and its pretty much the same way he got it from the store other than his Microsoft account and Facebook account and a dozen apps. He also, however, does NOT use Skype. Perhaps the White batch somehow escaped manufacturing defects? Hope this helps you guys. -

-a friendly Android user curious about Windows Phone

I have a white and my battery sucks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Was this discussed here?

Reviewer from Mashable ran into the battery issue and asked Microsoft about it. MS's response was to try reinstalling Facebook and Skype and it apparently fixed the problem for her. Something to do with those apps constantly trying to reach Microsoft's servers. Might be worth trying if your battery drains in 5 hours with no usage. See this thread:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...sts-living-lumia-update-battery-fix-tips.html

TanQuoc

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before but Nokia support told me to reset my phone, beside turning off some background app, to see if it will fix my battery problem.

anon(5352752)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Well I've had this phone now 3 weeks and I'm getting between 12 hours to a day's battery.

wp_ss_20121204_0001.png

Normal Sensitivity
Normal Brightness
WiFi and Mobile networks on
30 emails a day on push
Tweeting and Texting
15 mins calls
IMDB, Rowi, TheChive, People, Pictures all live tiles on
Watched Dark Knight Rises in 720P

Can't really grumble on that!.

Mike_J

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I am also getting great battery life - phone easily lasting a full work day - not even going under 60%. On 3G, wireless, syncing emails and facebook but seems to last really well. I did notice on my Lumia 900 and 920 once you use Nokia Drive it start heavily using battery life - if you wanted it use it for any extended time really need to be plugged into power.
lumia battery.jpg

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

Had mine for a week and I started off by completely draining the phone ie start it after it shuts down and after that charge it fully. Did that 2 days in a row to make sure it was all synced up between battery and OS. Having great battery life. Last charge had me at 40% after around 27 hours with normal use (no music though). Right now I've been off the charger for almost 6 hours and im still att 98% after some email, texting, app downloads and a 10 min phone call, I expect this to go down quickly now that I will start listening to music though.

Normal Sensitivity
Auto brightness
Bluetooth off
NFC off
Wifi always off except if I need to upload a picture to skydrive (I do everything on LTE)
LTE always on
1 email account on push (receive 10-20 emails a day and I send a few)
Battery saver off
SMS backup off
All feedback/send information to MS/Nokia is off

NinjaPenguin777

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

It happened again. Monday my phone was perfectly fine. 100% charge. Went through the day only texting and not much else. Battery was perfectly fine Tuesday as well near full charge. Went to bed Tuesday, woke up today and the battery was down to 28%. Checked my email and 30 minutes later its down to battery saver level.

zetetikos

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site

My 902 loses ground even when plugged in when watching netflix or using drive. I had my phone go dead twice while trying to navigate last weekend with it plugged in. starting at half charge about only made it 1.5 hours through a movie. Anybody else notice this. That seems crazy to me.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

I've read about the drain even when plugged for nokia drive, i find that ridiculous.

Haven't read anything regarding watching netflix though, i would that ridiculous as well, those should not happen when your phone is charging.

un hombre

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

No matter if your battery is very good or bad, GPS nav apps will demolish it very quickly. This phone is very inefficient when it comes to sat nav. None of my previous phones - iPhone 5 or Galaxy S2 was using so much battery in so little time, when using sat nav.

In fact, it uses around 12% in 20 minutes which is a bit ridiculous if you ask me considering, that my screen is set to auto with min as a preset...

I am a bit dissapointed with this phone when it comes to battery life and my battery is fully settled after 2 weeks of use. I have no battery draining problem, though.

loukkis

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

wp_ss_20121202_0002.png

I have great battery life, Wifi on, NFC on, Email sync always on, high sensitivity on, brightness auto, facebook tile on, few news site active tiles on, weather tile on, everything on, so i have not made any compromises.

For non finnish dudes out there some translations: p?iv? = day, tuntia = hours.:evil:

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

I was having bad battery life, (as you can see about 1-2 pages back a post i made a few days ago here). I downloaded the battery discharge app from the store and let my battery die 100% over night to the point where when i woke up i couldn't turn the phone on at all.. I took the phone to work with me at 8 am and started charging it there... at 1 pm i took the phone off the charger at 100%.. i have used moderate use.. texts, phone calls, games, web browsing, used the camera.. I showed the phone off to some friends last night at dinner so they were playing around with it.. I do have NFC off and my email updates every 2 hours, and bluetooth is off. I have wifi on and using 4G LTE. Without having recharged it, i am at 41% battery left and it's 8 AM the next day.. so not a full 24 hours yet technically but it seems like it may last until then.

It says it has 1 day 9 hours left but i don't know how much i trust that evalutation...

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

My 902 loses ground even when plugged in when watching netflix or using drive. I had my phone go dead twice while trying to navigate last weekend with it plugged in. starting at half charge about only made it 1.5 hours through a movie. Anybody else notice this. That seems crazy to me.
Ya.. the power adapter must be rated at at least 800mA output, and if it is, its likely that the phone is capable of receiving it. So.. for that to happen Drive and Netfilx must be using more than that at the same time you are charging it.. and that is crazy :) Check your car charger and see what they have rated at .. it might be too weak ..

I just tested Nokia Drive on my 808 and it averages around 150mA .. the GPS receiver and the app are running, but I am standing still so.. I don't know if that makes a difference. Will test later

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...VI/AAAAAAAAD28/YGxw3gLYSAw/s512/scr000032.jpg

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday, I used my 920 for 30 minutes straight and the battery dropped 10%. Last night I worked on my iPhone 4s for 30 minutes straight and it dropped 10%.

I would guess for a non-defective battery, this might be normal for a smartphone. Not scientific, of course, and your mileage may vary.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon