Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

DAIMONDY

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully when i get the new update (UK) it will sort it out. Fingers crossed as its the only issue i really have with the phone now.

rareohs

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: lumia 920 Battery Issues

some interesting data i just collected. No phone charging during this time. I recorded the time/relative activity in between checks / reported battery level / reported use time left

start test @ 11:45am / 67% / 19 hrs 30 min

minimal use >> 12:00 / 64% / 9hrs

minimal use >> 12:10 / 60% / 8hrs

modest use >> 12:25 / 58% / 5hrs

no use >> 12:45 / 58% / 3hrs 10 min

minimal use >> 1:00 / 56% / 13hrs 30 min

no use >> 1:30 / 55% / 19hrs 20 min

On the one hand, this is only a 12% drop in 1hr 45min which is great, but also note that was with what i'd consider to be very mild use.

More odd is how rapidly the time use left prediction dropped, and then what the **** with the sudden uptick??

kennethsd

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

drain it, drain it until it literally won't turn on, until u get a black dark screen, past the battery low icon that appears, and you will have great battery life. I went from 7 to 18 hr usage, and then Charge all they way up and then use:)

How long does it usually take it drain completely? o:

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
How long does it usually take it drain completely? o:

stream a video or watch alot of YouTube until phone dies or so it at the end of the day when battery is low, and then keep draining and battery icon will appear, keep doing soft resets or keep turning it on and eventually it will die completely, took me about 30 min after I got to the battery icon screen. And don't be surprised if it comes out of the battery icon screen and phone turns on and battery goes to like 10 percent, drain it again until dead, kind of an annoying process but it helps

kennethsd

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

stream a video or watch alot of YouTube until phone dies or so it at the end of the day when battery is low, and then keep draining and battery icon will appear, keep doing soft resets or keep turning it on and eventually it will die completely, took me about 30 min after I got to the battery icon screen. And don't be surprised if it comes out of the battery icon screen and phone turns on and battery goes to like 10 percent, drain it again until dead, kind of an annoying process but it helps

Hmm.. My phone has been dead for more than an hour now and it just shows the battery icon. x:

Edit: Ohh! I decided to soft reset it and now it's back on with 5%. Thanks :)

Louis Lau

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site

Lithium-ion polymer battery doesn't hold on charge that well but has a better aging effect. The Lithium-ion, on the other hand has a better hold on charge but battery aging is increased. And to note returning your phone because of battery standby times wont solve your problem. Even when i got my phone the battery standby time was unreal. I use to get like 2-3 hours of use with everything turn off and only used the internet. Battery are like cars they need a trial run in time. Just like a car. The longer you us it and charge it the better it becomes. Now my phone averages 1day 6 hours everyday on standby for almost a month now. Consistently!

And also if you download all the battery indicators apps you will see that all apps show different battery times (inaccurate readings of battery times). I think unstable apps are main problem to fast drain in battery But i know Nokia gathers these information and will soon fix problem or reduce it substantially.

Last edited:

magmo

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

I bought my Lumia 920 yesterday, when I put it to charge it was 10% left, and when I started using it today it was on 100%, after 4 hours I got a warning that there was only 10% left. Now that is not ok, the phone should at least last 8 hours.. And I thought my iPhone had short battery life.... I will do some more testing this weekend otherwise I have to return it and get another one.

Reylas

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I've been having serious issues lately, too. I have the latest portico update, and have noticed with minimal use the battery drains quick. 100% after an all-night charge, unplugged at 6am, by 10am typically down to 60%, by noon 30%, and this is really, really not using it much. Not totally idle, but checking email a few times, a few short phone calls, a little surfing. No gaming, no videos, nothing straining, and I've never had Skype on there. Here's what I've tried so far:

-turned off wifi and bluetooth --> no improvement
-uninstalled gMaps --> no improvement
-uninstalled Facebool --> no improvement
-background tasks running: limited to Battery Level for WP8, CNN, WeatherFlow, WPCentral :) --> no improvement but haven't tried turning those ones off yet
-powered phone completely off for 5 min, restarted --> no improvement
-yesterday, for 1st time ever, drained battery until the phone turned off, then charged back. today will let it run down to 0% again and recharge. plan on doing that cycle 3 full times. So far, after 1 cycle, no big changes.

-if that fails, I was going to do a soft reset.
-if THAT fails, hard reset
-if THAT fails, uninstall other apps?!?!?!

Uggh, this is frustrating, i have this bomber phone that I'm afraid to unleash to it's full potential. :eck:

Out of curiosity, did you try to turn off the top two settings in Xbox Music settings? It has been working for some people including me when all other suggestions failed.

Try that and the battery conditioning as well and see if it helps.

rareohs

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Out of curiosity, did you try to turn off the top two settings in Xbox Music settings? It has been working for some people including me when all other suggestions failed.

Try that and the battery conditioning as well and see if it helps.

You know, that's something that never occurred to me. Both of those were ON. However -

After 1 conditioning cycle I saw HUGE improvements. Yesterday at 6:00am I pulled my phone off the charger at 100% after having let it drain to 0 and auto-shutting off. (I've had the phone for 3-4 weeks and foolishly never did this before yesterday)

With moderate use yesterday, I was still at 20% or thereabouts at 8pm when I got home, no charging during the day! In fact, it was at 11% when I was ready for bed at 10:30 last night, and I let it sit idle overnight without charging. This morning at 6:00 am it was still at 5%. 24 hours!!

I used it heavy until it drained and turned off, so I'm now charging it back for conditioning cycle #2. Hopefully this does the trick. If not, I will turn off those Xbox Music settings like you suggested, thanks I really appreciate that tip. In fact I did go ahead and turn off the 2nd one, since I don't even have music stored on the cloud. I like to see album art and use the DJ mixes sometime, so for now I'll leave that 1st one on and see what happens.

magmo

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

My Phone seem to be something wrong with.... it use about 3% every 5 minutes (even after turning off everything you guys suggested). According to the phone it has 4 hours left (1 hour since last charge), thats only 5 hours until its empty, thats terrible, I called my store and will get it replaced. One question though, When I received it I did not start off by charging it to 100% but used it imidiatly instead untill 10% remained, when I get the new phone, should I start off by charging it over night or does that not matter?

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
My Phone seem to be something wrong with.... it use about 3% every 5 minutes (even after turning off everything you guys suggested). According to the phone it has 4 hours left (1 hour since last charge), thats only 5 hours until its empty, thats terrible, I called my store and will get it replaced. One question though, When I received it I did not start off by charging it to 100% but used it imidiatly instead untill 10% remained, when I get the new phone, should I start off by charging it over night or does that not matter?
haha u start off by draining it dead, not up. Smart one;)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

? I didn't see anywhere in the manual that one was supposed to charge the phone to 100% before first use

[h=3]Charge your phone with a USB charger[/h] Your battery has been partially charged at the factory, but you may need to recharge it before you can switch the phone on for the first time.
Make sure you use a compatible USB charger to charge your phone.

Nokia Lumia 920 User Guide - Charge your phone - Nokia - USA

magmo

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

[h=3]Charge your phone with a USB charger[/h] Your battery has been partially charged at the factory, but you may need to recharge it before you can switch the phone on for the first time.
Make sure you use a compatible USB charger to charge your phone.

Nokia Lumia 920 User Guide - Charge your phone - Nokia - USA

Yes, "You may need to charge it" I don't read that as I have to charge it otherwise the battery lifetime will suffer. If one must do that it should be written in the manual.

un hombre

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I don't think you can manually switch off live tiles update.

Guys, I have an interesting battery drain problem that happened for the first time on my phone. I was having a 45 minute phone call over the provided in-ear phones, and after it finished I had the phone very warm and down from 100% battery to 81%! In 45 minutes...

I had no applications run in background, the only processes that are allowed to run in background are Accuweather, Battery widget and Nokia Drive. Nokia Drive hasn't been a problem for me so it is not that, but I have been using the Accuweather and Battery drain for over a week.

My guess is Battery Widget, which I now uninstalled, because I think it was gathering info not every 30 minutes but every minute or sooner, if your phone was active.

What do you think?

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Yes, "You may need to charge it" I don't read that as I have to charge it otherwise the battery lifetime will suffer. If one must do that it should be written in the manual.

couldn't someone make the argument in the other direction too? if one must completely discharge their battery, then it should be written in the manual...?

magmo

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

couldn't someone make the argument in the other direction too? if one must completely discharge their battery, then it should be written in the manual...?

Update, after completely drain the battery yesterday and then start the phone this morning I have now run the phone 7 hours and still 67% left. Thats an amazing change, if that continues I have nothing to complain about the phones battery time at all

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss