Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

Gambit11B

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: lumia 920 Battery Issues

Well, given the fact that there is hardly any mention of battery issues in the HTC 8X section, I say it's pretty safe to assume this is a Lumia 920 issue, not an OS issue. Meaning, the battery life of the Lumia 920 is garbage......simply put.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Well, given the fact that there is hardly any mention of battery issues in the HTC 8X section, I say it's pretty safe to assume this is a Lumia 920 issue, not an OS issue. Meaning, the battery life of the Lumia 920 is garbage......simply put.

... or maybe HTC 8X is just an 3G phone, not 4G (LTE) phone, in the most countries .. well, Nokia Asha 2G is the best for battery :)

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

OK at this point I've tried everything including a replacement phone. Yesterday I installed Battery because it has an alert that tells you when the battery is darning abnormally fast. In the last 8 hours the alert has chimed three times. I'm done with posting and complaining, I'm done with WP8 and I'm one with the Nokia 920, it and WP8 are dead in the water.

Take care and goodby.

Andre.

As annoying as this random battery drain can be, there's still no other phone I'd rather use. Sorry it didn't work out for you, good luck.

Jeremy Milstein

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Fed up with Nokia 920 battery issues

Hi,

I know there have been a lot of threads about the battery life on this phone (I've read them all). I have been very patient with the product (actually went through 3 exchanges due to strange one-off issues: warped screen, broken keyboard, etc.) and finally got a phone that I thought worked. Had it for about three weeks and the battery was fine. No issues at all. Then, about three days ago, battery issues starting cropping up. Right now, the phone will basically drain if I were to use the internet for 2 hours straight on wifi. I have NFC off, Drive, etc. background tasks off as well as all of the other things which are often the culprit (brightness of screen, a million apps open at once, etc.). Nothing has changed with my phone over the last week. I'm not going to go to 3G only or disable the 3 live tiles I use.

The battery is not really experiencing any drain when not in use and did quite well playing a few podcasts on my drive. However, using IE or any other app just seems to really be knocking it down. I tried a soft reset two days ago with no success and want to avoid a hard reset but am willing to do it if it'll solve the issue.

Just trying to see if anybody else has any ideas? I will be glad to provide any additional info.

Thanks.

KAI3R

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Fed up with Nokia 920 battery issues

Yes, after installing and going through 3 different battery apps, I have found that each show drastically different times and aren't very reliable which probably explains why I only get 1 hour of battery in the 90-80% range but 5 hours in the 20-10% range.

Baryex86

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Hi,

I know there have been a lot of threads about the battery life on this phone (I've read them all). I have been very patient with the product (actually went through 3 exchanges due to strange one-off issues: warped screen, broken keyboard, etc.) and finally got a phone that I thought worked. Had it for about three weeks and the battery was fine. No issues at all. Then, about three days ago, battery issues starting cropping up. Right now, the phone will basically drain if I were to use the internet for 2 hours straight on wifi. I have NFC off, Drive, etc. background tasks off as well as all of the other things which are often the culprit (brightness of screen, a million apps open at once, etc.). Nothing has changed with my phone over the last week. I'm not going to go to 3G only or disable the 3 live tiles I use.

The battery is not really experiencing any drain when not in use and did quite well playing a few podcasts on my drive. However, using IE or any other app just seems to really be knocking it down. I tried a soft reset two days ago with no success and want to avoid a hard reset but am willing to do it if it'll solve the issue.

Just trying to see if anybody else has any ideas? I will be glad to provide any additional info.

Thanks.

Factory reset helps. Make sure to have full battery charge and backup before doing it. Also, uninstall Skype and make sure to have Stop the Music app if you are using WhatesApp since it uses the music to stay on and it streams data.

Jeremy Milstein

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

Thanks. Don't have Skype, any battery apps or Whats The App. I have tried draining the battery completely a couple of times. I have to test this for a few days, but my battery life seems much better in my apartment than in other locations. I played around with the phone for half an hour and the battery life dropped maybe 5% which is just fine. Everywhere I am in is covered by LTE as I'm in a major city so the phone looking for a connection constantly shouldn't be an issue but very well may be.

I'm hesitant to do a full reboot unless it is my last option as I have hear things about the phone getting stuck and honestly, I don't want to deal with reinstalling everything right now.

I just don't understand why it would work just fine for about a month and then go south when nothing has changed. I like this phone but issues such as this are unacceptable and make me wish I had just got an IPhone5.

sawnduz

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

You may not have to do a full reset. I had a very similar problem, and what worked for me was to delete all of my accounts and then re-log into them. Some of these accounts would constantly be syncing and draining the battery. I also tried all the other suggestions you had indicated you already did (delete skype, other apps) and that didn't do the trick. I would try the account reconciliation.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

Two hours of internet use would drain my battery too. We have two current 920's and I have had one replaced. The battery acted the same on all of them. Internet use drains the battery. Games drain the battery. I have a feeling that is just the way it is.

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

Two hours of internet use would drain my battery too. We have two current 920's and I have had one replaced. The battery acted the same on all of them. Internet use drains the battery. Games drain the battery. I have a feeling that is just the way it is.

Unrelated. Your avatar looks like Joey from NSYNC. LOL
04BobbleheadsNSyncJoey01.jpg

Last edited:

abek0

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
RE: Fed up with Nokia 920 battery issues

Normally when you get a new phone, you should let the battery drain all the way, then recharge it fully without turning it on until fully charged about 3-5 times, so that the battery recognizes how long is should last no matter how much you use your phone daily. Exchange the phone once more and try that. If that does not work, the only thing I can think of is that Nokia just makes a ****ty battery.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

Jeremy,

What you are talking about is a fairly heavily discussed issue on the Nokia forums, and no one has yet figured out what causes this. I have had this happen on two Lumia 920s, and the solution so far has not been great: replace them under warranty.

The possible causes usually discussed are :
  • Skype. This is not the case. I did not install Skype on my 2nd Lumia.
  • Battery checking apps. This also does not seem to be the issue, since many reporting haven't used them.
  • NFC. Not the case. Did not have NFC enabled.
  • Location. Maybe? But what good is my phone without location? Even if this is the problem, I can't use my phone adequately without it.

The problem will not solve itself through a full battery drain. And, when your phone is in this state, a Hard Reset (usually recommended by the phone provider tech support) will likely brick your phone. That's exactly what has happened to me twice in a row.

Wish I could offer something more helpful for you, but that's the current state of things, and yes, I too am wishing I had gotten a different phone. I may try to sell this to pick up an HTC 8X and see if that WP8 variant is any better.

Laceym

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

I've been cursing the poor battery myself. If I don't use the phone at all, I can make it through the day. I've done all of the tips including 3G only which helped because I live in a weak LTE area. However one day I was killing time on the internet and thought I was connected to wifi but wasn't. I'm on a limited data plan so I turned off cellular data for a few days to avoid going over my limit. After doing that, my battery life was crazy good. I was looking for excuses to drain the battery after that. Now I turn it off whenever I can.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

I've been cursing the poor battery myself. If I don't use the phone at all, I can make it through the day. I've done all of the tips including 3G only which helped because I live in a weak LTE area. However one day I was killing time on the internet and thought I was connected to wifi but wasn't. I'm on a limited data plan so I turned off cellular data for a few days to avoid going over my limit. After doing that, my battery life was crazy good. I was looking for excuses to drain the battery after that. Now I turn it off whenever I can.

Not having a data connection defeats having a smart phone I want to receive important e-mail's and messages through whatsapp. I have my data switched on but use 2G so I can receive messages. But even on 2G the phone still has battery drain issues.

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Well, that's the way WP8 works.... Moving to WP 8X may not change much because it has similar battery issues... I'm getting really great battery life when I turn off the data. I play Wordament a lot. Playing it on cellular data lasts like a couple of hours max... on wifi I can pull it to 4 hours. But, yet both browsing and playing games is battery intensive.

I have one more observation to mention. I have a Lumia 800 which I bought an year ago. One of the first app I fell for on WP 7.5 was Wordament and I used to play it on 3G. It hardly lasted for 2 hours. But interestingly, after an year I can play for nearly 4.5 hours on 3g now. I don't know what things changed. But I can sure say the battery life estimation has improved or 3g coverage in my area must have improved. Nevertheless, I'm hoping using it further would make battery better on these devices. Trust me I felt really crap in battery department on Lumia 800, now it is always on 3g mode and is constantly used for whatsapp and games and it gets me about 12 hours. Whereas, my 920 is not that good at this point...

HM02

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

Been almost 2 months and my battery has been awesome. I unplug my phone at noon, almost every day and it lasts me until about 4 or 5 in the morning. That's moderate use (texting, push email notifications, checking Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr). Only a couple of background tasks running-- Battery Widget and Amazing Weather HD (set to update every 2 hours). Brightness is medium. NFC, Bluetooth-off. Wifi on constantly.
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who actually has a perfect handset. Everything works flawlessly.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

@ Jeremy Milstein

My 920 was giving me in the region of 9 - 11hrs battery which I more or less just got used to.
I was forced to do a full reset the other day and my battery life shot upto 36hrs. Why, I don't know.
I reinstalled more or less all the same apps and use the phone the same.
Following the next charge though, it has gone back down to it's usual 10hrs battery.
I remember reading back in an N8 forum that some batteries have cells in them that just don't charge.
A dominant cell may take all the charge and indicate full on the phone when it's not. Only way to get over that was to unplug and turn and charge til full charge was reached.
With the Lumia taking control of the charge cycle(hence turning on when charging) I'm beginning to think there may just be problems with the batteries themselves.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss