Lumia 920 reviews

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nokia/MS/L920: I *want* to love you but ...

I can honestly say I haven't had a single issue with my phone, nor the OS. I came from a long line of Android phones (OG Droid -> HTC Thunderbolt -> Galaxy Nexus -> HTC One X) and can honestly say that this phone works (for my purposes) more smoothly and better than any of these listed. I'd say, take off Nokia Drive and see if you still have some of the problems. As for the backup, well, it backs up pretty much everything I could by default on Android (Titanium Backup helped me switch from ROM to ROM without worrying about losing too much).

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

just switched from 900 to 920 yesterday. So far the only issue has been that I can no longer connect to the secure wifi at work. It just will not allow me to connect. Strange.

The other things that changed I realize are by design, like no more radio, no iheartradio, no tango?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Windows Phone 8 Backup feature savaged, and rightfully so | WMPoweruser

And one might enquire why you've had to restore 8 times in two months!

That's exactly what I said - game saves and achievements. App data can be backed up. There is an opportunity for that. Only if the developer chooses to let us back up app data. WP devs are taking the piss. Most of the apps are developed with such an ill effort - whatsapp, viber, eyeem, etc. If you want to look at an example of how an app is able to back up and restore in app data using Skydrive - get 6 weeks training.
That is how an app should use back up and restore and that is exactly how ALL our games should be made.

The other lame point is - I want it on my USB, I want it local. That's just a spoilt child shouting out first world problem. Anyone buying a Windows Phone should know that Microsoft's three screen one OS vision depends totally on a cloud. A cloud is constant EVERYWHERE, no matter what device. Hence encouraging back up and restore via cloud, storing music on cloud, storing docs on cloud and storing photos on cloud. They start everyone off with 7 GB free space. They know eventually people will find it much easier to have it on cloud that saving local copies. That man who wants a back up on a USB during his holiday - is he going to carry his back up USB along with him everywhere he goes?!! No. But cloud will be available everywhere. Yes the only instance when it can be done is at the start up where no WiFi is available, 3G data will be used. That needs to be fixed, just like Windows 8 restore and back up feature where WiFi is set up at the boot up stage.

Why I restored so many times in 8 months? Because I changed my carrier 2 times, hence swapped my phones. I changed colour thrice because I couldn't decide which colour I really wanted. And the other 3 times, it was because whatsapp and other apps disappeared from marketplace randomly and I hoped each time I would be able to restore it, only to later realise that it just won't be possible. So yeah, 8 restores and I am still happy.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
RE: Nokia/MS/L920: I *want* to love you but ...

I have to say 98% of the issues you're having I'm not experiencing. My phone only froze once after portico update
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

AussieMatt

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Improvements,
Lower the touch sensitivity just for the bottom few buttons as they get hit all the time causing apps to close or back to start menu, making for very bad user experience. Better yet lock them out when in apps for brief touches… give option to need to hold them for 1-2 seconds to make them work.

Microsoft OR/& Nokia Improvements,
1) Start screen display more info about who you missed calls from or received messages from, include an “option” to display the message.
2) Give an option to keep status bar at top active, instead of tapping it to see battery usage and network type.
3) Tapping the status bar at the top should give drop down menu of toggle on/off switches for: Bluetooth, Network Data, Wireless, NFC, and Flight Mode (silent mode).
4) The bing search button seems a bit of a waste of space, possibly in windows 8 or especially 9 this should be used for settings in apps, so as not to waste screen real estate with a big black bar, hit the search key and the settings menu or bar can then come up…. Such a waste of screen with the black bar for settings or options or search bar always static at bottom of screen…. Learn from other big companies don’t go backwards please. (Keep search bar at bottom of page not screen or top of page not screen… get it?
5) Start screen to also have option to use camera flash as torch…. This is not done on any phones but could be the most useful feature.
6) For some reason the proximity sensor on the Lumina 920 doesn't prevent the phone opening when covered (in pocket) allowing for screen always on in pocket… FIX IT properly please:straight:.

I am sure there is more but that's for later....

For now the Lumia 920 is awesome, add the above fixes some day sooner rather than later and it will be a kickass phone.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I really enjoy the Lumia 920. I have had little to no technical issues with the phone save the following: the Bing search 'button'. Maybe I'm just ham-handed but I tend to accidently start Bing searches ALOT. Sometimes wish the capacitive button could be disabled that's how often I've reached for the phone and inadvertently started the search screen.

Similar situations when I'm on a call. I tend to use the speaker phone option to keep my hands free, (cause the external speaker on this phone is OUTSTANDING easily best in class), but I've found that from time to time it flips back and forth from the speaker to the headset speaker depending on how I'm handling the phone. MINOR issues if issues at all. Overall the phone has Excellent construction, snappy performance, beautiful screen I can't stop looking at. The phone feels good in the hand & its weight is FINE. The camera is solid, video recording is great, and the OS is fluid and functional. Games look GREAT on the phone and play without a hiccup. Battery life is GREAT with a mix of news heavy apps in use, constant podcast listening and netflix watching. I usually carry a top end Android phone as well simply because I need more apps but overall the Lumia is an outstanding piece if tech and I hope Microsoft really steps up and supports a great handset.

lindhmik

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

phander;18635664) said:
Nokia Drive - this was working perfectly until I actually REALLY needed it this weekend. Then the app was freezing/not updating.

I had this problem too after last Drive update. Go to Drive + settings and take your battery save mode off. That worked for me and no problems after that.

cuzincurly

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
another issue, I can't like comments or tag people on non photo facebook/twitter posts on the native people hub...I hope they fix it and do something like rowi

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have only had my 920 for about 24 hours. So far its great! The main issue is figuring out how things work one w8. It is way different then Blackberry. The more I work with it the more impressed I am with how it pulls all info together so you do not have to search for it, info meaning contacts, social, etc... I am pleasantly surprised with the communication and multitasking abilities of this devise. That is something that is not promoted enough with this phone. One thing is going from a regular sim to a micro I need to figure out how to get all my info off my old sim! It will take me I while to figure out all this phone can do but I am looking forward to utilizing it fully.

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Switched from an 8X after using it for 2 months. While that phone wasn't bad, the Lumia 920 is in a different league altogether. The camera.... WOW!

p13bruce

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
With almost everyone around me having a Samsung Galaxy or an iPhone it was a leap of faith for me when I decided to go ahead and purchase a Nokia Lumia 920. My decision was heavily influenced by the positive reviews that I read about it online.

I have had this phone for about a week now and I am liking it more and more every day. I have had an ipad and few android devices earlier and always ended up buying few apps and games in the first few days. But this phone comes with so many freebies that so far I have not felt the need to purchase anything. Earlier my contacts were in a mess but now with different profiles (Linkedin, Corporate directory, Facebook etc) interlinked on a single card it is so much more convenient.

I have downloaded few stuff like mix radio albums, few apps and games and it was as easy and simple as it could possibly be. I was little disappointed by the quality of free games but then I have not really put in efforts to look for some cool ones. Also the battery life is not what I was expecting it to be but I do understand that I have been using it quiet extensively and with usage coming down to normal levels I hope it would improve.

Also I am hoping Nokia would soon come up with some accessories (so far they are not available in India) that would give some protection in case of a fall as the phone is slippery and looks too delicate to go unscathed in case of a serious fall.

But the bottom line so far is - I am really happy that I chose to be a maverick and went ahead with Lumia 920 inspite of contrary advise from users of other phones.

pepimacho

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I love my phone!!! The battery does seem to run down quick but I read where I need to turn off all the background apps so I will do that! What is the best the $9.99 Rhapsody or the Xbox Music or another??? Best smart phone I have ever owned.:winktongue:

WittZi

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Complete List of Lumia 920 pros and cons - feedback welcomed!

After owning my Lumia 920 for over 2 weeks I can safely say that it is one of the worst phones that I have ever purchased. Only a Sony Eriksson phone I bought in the early 2000's has proven worse than this offering. There are little touches of genius thrown in there too, but overall this feels like a handset that is 2 years out of date and too buggy to release to market.

Also, I appreciate that half of this will be down to WP8 and not Nokia, but as they decided to go with that Operating System then it’s all part and parcel of their offering. This is not to knock WP8 for the sake of it; there are some nice innovations and I think Nokia's decision to move away from Symbian and MeeGo was a good move.

The good points:

1. Nokia Music is amazing at finding new music, it’s free and the presentation of it is really well done.
2. Nokia Maps is fast and accurate.
3. The video recording on this device is second to none. I am literally amazed at the quality of the clips that I am shooting. Absolutely amazing.
4. It looks great and is very different from anything out there. I epsecially like the way that the cursor falls down to the next line and the app listings letters bunch up and the top.
5. Some of the live tiles are useful.(ish)

The bad points:

1. Nokia Music is useless, because you can only download 4 playlists onto a 32GB device. You cant forward more than 6 tracks an hour and it doesn’t display a track listing. I know Music+ is meant to address this, but it should be like this out of the box. Plus it’s available on all WP8 devices now – why not get an 8X?!
2. Nokia maps is the least user friendly piece of mapping software!! Google Maps and Apple Maps are both so much more accessible and useful when you’re out and about in a city and looking for somewhere. No compass is another amazing omission. Plus it’s available on all WP8 devices now – why not get an 8X?!
3. The photos are soft and lack sharpness or clarity. Stupid things like not being able to enable / disable location tagging from the actual camera app also makes me realise that they just don’t know what they’re doing.
4. The fact that it freezes monumentally, frequently and in different ways. So far the hardware buttons at the bottom have frozen, but the screen is useable or vice versa! Either way you have to press volume down and power for ages and then it finally resets itself as you can do nothing else.
5. The brightness ‘pulse’ that has been mentioned elsewhere. Unbelievably annoying and terrible.
6. No ability to lock the orientation of the phone. As I often like to read articles in bed this is an absolute nightmare for me.
7. The browser is so bad that it actually makes me want to punch the handset in the face. I can’t even be bothered to go into the various reasons that make it bad, but it is awful. No back or forward buttons, terrible rendering, incompatibility with EVERYTHING … I could go on.
8. Often when using a WiFi connection at a hotel there is a requirement to log in using their custom web login page. Of the 3 hotels that I have had the handset, it has only worked with one. My workphone (Samsung Galaxy S2) worked with all of them, and I have never experienced the issue when I had my iPhone previous to this handset.
9. Runs hotter than Hades in many different situations.
10. No fixed status bar if you would like it to be fixed. Battery indicator is woefully inadequate and third-party apps that address this do not update reliably.
11. On / off button is placed perfectly for me to accidentally press it whenever I pick the phone up. Never experienced that with any other handset that I have owned.
12. Terrible integration of external services. Can’t push to G+ for most apps and often can’t even push to email and only get the facebook option.
13. No unified notification area. I cant even ask for a different tone for WhatsApp which makes it all the worse.
14. Outlook.com account doesn’t allow you to import your addresses from your address book! WTF!? Also the mail client looks awful and I find it totally unusable. I’ve barely checked my email on the move since owning this phone as it’s so bad.
15. Cant turn off ringtone and vibrate from the main menu. You can obviously turn one of the other off from the volume menu … but who cares if you want to turn both off it’s a boring 7 presses, touches or swipes!
16. When in a call, if you try and switch to another app (to find a contact, etc ...) it throws you back into the call screen without any warning. Infuriating.
17. WiFi switches off when the screen is off (with not Portico update), meaning missed notifications if mobile data is turned off.
18. Calendar is relatively primitive, with month view showing just a few letters rather than highlighting events.
19. Sharing a contact via SMS fails. I only tried this twice, but both times the message would not send and I had full signal.
20. Windows Store appears to be down with relative frequency. If it happens regularly with Google Play or the AppStore it's not something that I have previously witnessed, but have done on numerous occasions within the short time I've had the Lumia (I appreciate that this is not a Nokia issue, but it's continues to detract from the overall package).
21. Native media players are awful. No ability to drag the progress bar to fast forward videos or songs, although this is inconsistent. You can drag the progress bar of locally saved videos, but not streaming videos. Completely unable to do so on XBox Music or Nokia Music though; whether local content or streaming.
22. XBox music has a really attractive interface but it's almost unusable. It doesn't display track listings, you cant navigate around quickly, etc.
23. Lack of volume control within Apps vs notifications / ringtones. It's almost unworkable if you use your phone as a true multimedia device.
24. No indication of which Apps you have purchased on the Windows store. If you buy lots of Apps (as I do), you forget which ones you have bought / downloaded.
25. No ability to kill apps. I don't care how clever the OS thinks it is, if I want something killed - let me do it! Even if it's just removed from the running list as it's a core App or service.
20. White or Black solid backgrounds are too limiting. I struggle to read white on black, but the black on white just makes the interface look atrocious. That means I have to choose between either usability or my friends ruining me for having a phone that looks ridiculous!

I could go on, but this is the biggest technological let down for me in many years. I really, REALLY wanted to like the Lumia 920 and WP8 but I'm afraid that (for me) it is completely unsuitable for either personal use or work use ... which basically makes it a complete failure in my eyes!

I hope you can see that this is not a troll post and maybe I’ve missed the point here but I would love to get people’s opinions on my feedback and see how they feel about their handset.

Last edited:

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Complete List of Lumia 920 pros and cons - feedback welcomed!

I have a 920 and a Galaxy S 3 but prefer the 920 any day of the week. You're entitled to your opinion but all those cons you've listed really don't bother me apart from the useless camera. I can only agree on that one point, the camera is a major disappointment. Other than that, I'm very happy with the 920.

WittZi

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

That's really interesting as I thought the S3 would have been a close contender, thanks Worzel! I'm surprised that the screen brightness changing all the time doesn't bother you, although maybe it doesn't happen on your handset?

maroonedWP

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site

My Lumia never freezes btw. Maybe your device is faulty? Also Internet Explorer is very useful i've never had problems with it.

The brightness ‘pulse’ is a big problem.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

My screen doesn't "pulse" so that's not an issue for me. This is my second 920 because the first one would constantly freeze but the replacement one doesn't freeze at all.
The S3 is a nice enough phone but the Android/Touchwiz interface is getting a bit long in the tooth for me, even though it's been modernised it's still looking dated. This is why I prefer the WP8 interface. It's really nice to use and operate and very fast too. I was very surprised that the S3 has lag despite the hardware running it.

Actually, while I think about it, the calendar on the 920 is pretty useless and needs some work. For instance, switching to month view doesn't show us any upcoming events but some ineligible random words. And, because I still haven't got the Portico update my WiFi switches off when the screen is locked which means I miss Viber notifications etc if I've turned off 3G as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb