Battery issues... Microsoft & Nokia developers...read this......

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
aye, with that in mind I wouldnt mind carrying a spare battery, but where does it go..hmmm, a solution might be to make jean pockets wireless chargers, charged by walking action hehehe

Napocensis

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Microsoft & nokia developers...read this......

I wanted to test this...im sitting here at 11am..all lights are on, every gadget and device is on, ive hooked up my exercise bike with a dynamo feeding extra into the mains...i am getting tired...
It?s just an analogy with your house wiring. Your house may have 42 circuits of 15 Amp each, but it does not mean you can use all of them to capacity. You will exceed your panel capacity with few circuits only.
Same with your phone, just because Nokia gives you every feature there is, it does not mean you can run all of them without affecting the battery life.

Once you grasp the concept, do some power management rather than complaining here because I don?t think it?s going to solve anything.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Are you in the USA on AT&T? I've read some stuff indicating that there is something about AT&T's implementation of LTE that can negatively impact battery life. Whether or not that's true, I have no idea. I do know that when I spent a couple weeks over Christmas in an LTE area, I was surprised at the impact it had upon battery life. It literally felt like there was something sucking the juice out of it, particularly if I was actually using my phone. But the drain was also rather dramatic when I wasn't doing anything with the phone. Under normal use in a non-LTE area, I can probably get two days out of a charge.

I'm on ATT. Its almost always an LTE signal. Now, I'm almost always at work or home, so im usually using my WiFi for data. Maybe that's why I do so well on battery. But I gotta be honest, I'm don't understand how some people have so many issues with battery. Mine does drain more prematurely than my L800, but I would expect that from a far more powerful phone.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

It’s just an analogy with your house wiring. Your house may have 42 circuits of 15 Amp each, but it does not mean you can use all of them to capacity. You will exceed your panel capacity with few circuits only.
Same with your phone, just because Nokia gives you every feature there is, it does not mean you can run all of them without affecting the battery life.

Once you grasp the concept, do some power management rather than complaining here because I don’t think it’s going to solve anything.

Obviously you have no sense of humour. Anyway, what is the purpose of a forum? to discuss issues and guess what, if NO ONE complained enmasse about something then how does that something get fixed? Some people believe that no one reads these forums from Nokia/MS, nothing could be further from the truth. These forums are the pulse of product development as WE are the test monkeys. Newspaper and media journalists are alwasys looking for 'issues' to write about, where do you think they go to get this information? They certainly read forums and if many people complain about the same thing then they write about it. DO you think Nokia cares about whats the media is saying about them. Of course they do!

However, some people just troll and thats part and parcel of the very nature of forums, accept it as it is not going to change. Really..it just isnt..

bashbaliga

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I have been using Lumia 920 since one month..

Heating is there but battery life is around 10-12 hrs

I have heavy 3G usage...some gaming and music..

I keep my NFC disabled, Nokia drive is off and switch off wifi when not in use..

Any smartphone with such a high resolution screen, live tiles, always on WiFi...should have rapid battery drain

This should definitely improve with future updates...I feel being patient and judicious use of your device will help..

How was your battery life when it was 5 days old, I have to charge thrice a day to keep it going for now.

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
With a lot of frustration, I have been experiencing high battery drain also, with the phone staying warm even while idle.
Following various comments, fixes, could be' on various forums, I hard reset my new, less than one week old, phone.
I was kind of annoyed, surprised it took a very long time to recover, with a picture of gears churning on the screen.
Finally it booted up with a message, reset or restore. Wasn't expecting the choice. I chose restore to see what's up.
There was an amazing amount of stuff to restore.
After restore completed, my phone was still having battery drain issues. I decided to check out what this back up and restore thing was.
Pardon me I never read the manual. No need to go into discussion of the process.
I then chose to disable back up and restore, soft reset, and boom. Battery usage is now at -2%/hr. instead of -12-20% idle.
Have any of you tried this?

originally posted on: lumia 920 Battery Issues
Well it has been over 24hrs. since I did this procedure. My battery usage is still low. I got 22hrs. of uptime on the same charge yesterday, using the phone moderately, push email for two accounts and a couple of long phone calls. Battery Sense was reporting -2.2% drop most of the day. Battery drain went up a bit on the evening to -4% playing games. The most important thing I noticed though was the phone was no longer staying warm when idle, an indication of high current usage.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Not true. My Lumia will get scorching hot and burn through its battery in 4-5 hours. My iPhone will last 12-18 hours. There's a bug in either the OS or the firmware that causes Lumias (maybe other WP8 too, not sure) to spin out of control and run at 100% for unknown reasons. This isn't just a settings issue.

You have summed it up well. some days I get 12+ hours next day with the same setting and use I am looking for a charger after 4 to 5 hours.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

Does iPhone have:
live tiles? NO. really do not think the live tiles a causing any battery drain.
NFC? NO.
4G? only one model has it. No 4G here in Thailand so I can not blame 4G but on 3G the batter life is no better.

so it isn't a fair comparison at all.
even microsoft and nokia says to turn off unneeded background apps.
do you actually use NFC regularly? if not, it should be turned off obviously.
also, always on wifi is available with lastest Portico update. if you're not updated, it's your carrier's fault. I do not have this update, my phone was brought outright so no its not the carriers fault everywhere I blame Microsoft and Nokia for not releasing this update to all unlocked phones at the same time.

MJS9

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I've made some headway at last. I've just hit 24hr's since the last charge and have 62% battery remaining. That's 2 hours streaming music on the tram (headphones), just over 2hrs voice calls, a dozen texts, 3 email accounts sync when arrive (22 emails total around 12mb), just over an hour with Proshot, perhaps half an hour with Pictomaphone, photo sync with skydrive, time browsing photo's on the phone, and maybe nearly an hour's light browsing on Internet Explorer. Not intensive use by any means, a quiet couple of days as work goes, but it's a marked improvement regardless.

I have no background tasks running, Wifi On, Bluetooth Off, Tap + Send Off, EE network (3G), Backup Off. I close tabs on exit from IE. I have Drive beta uninstalled and Skype is installed.

I've had the phone for 2 weeks, and it's been draining very quickly. The only thing I've changed in the last 24 hours is my constant fiddling with the tiles. After I finally settled on a tile arrangement I really like yesterday morning (while on charge), I did a soft reset. Haven't touched the tiles since (apart from to open applications) and here I am, 24hrs later, apparently over 24hrs remaining. I don't know if that's what's helped the battery, but I haven't changed anything else. Perhaps the indicator is out of sync with the battery and will turn off any minute? I'm suspicious and paranoid. I'll post back if that happens.

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have no background tasks running... Backup Off. I close tabs on exit from IE...

^this. I have found that when I disable all background tasks (no Live Tiles as a result) and have backup off I get more than double the battery life I normally do.

In both cases I have x3 push email accounts, WiFi always On, NFC off, BT off, on 3G network and close apps properly after use (inc IE tabs).

With background tasks and backup on the drain is between 4%-5% per hour with moderate/heavy use, it goes down to sub 2% when background tasks are off.

The point is though that one should get a full day (and some) using the majority of the advanced features without having to resort to a charger so I fully understand the frustrations of the OP.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
The heat is from the processors which is not normal not when you are just browsing or if you go back to your home screen. But the Lumias get stuck running at full tilt for some reason.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've made some headway at last. I've just hit 24hr's since the last charge and have 62% battery remaining. That's 2 hours streaming music on the tram (headphones), just over 2hrs voice calls, a dozen texts, 3 email accounts sync when arrive (22 emails total around 12mb), just over an hour with Proshot, perhaps half an hour with Pictomaphone, photo sync with skydrive, time browsing photo's on the phone, and maybe nearly an hour's light browsing on Internet Explorer. Not intensive use by any means, a quiet couple of days as work goes, but it's a marked improvement regardless.

I have no background tasks running, Wifi On, Bluetooth Off, Tap + Send Off, EE network (3G), Backup Off. I close tabs on exit from IE. I have Drive beta uninstalled and Skype is installed.

I've had the phone for 2 weeks, and it's been draining very quickly. The only thing I've changed in the last 24 hours is my constant fiddling with the tiles. After I finally settled on a tile arrangement I really like yesterday morning (while on charge), I did a soft reset. Haven't touched the tiles since (apart from to open applications) and here I am, 24hrs later, apparently over 24hrs remaining. I don't know if that's what's helped the battery, but I haven't changed anything else. Perhaps the indicator is out of sync with the battery and will turn off any minute? I'm suspicious and paranoid. I'll post back if that happens.

Want to swap phones? :p

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
With a lot of frustration, I have been experiencing high battery drain also, with the phone staying warm even while idle.
Following various comments, fixes, could be' on various forums, I hard reset my new, less than one week old, phone.
I was kind of annoyed, surprised it took a very long time to recover, with a picture of gears churning on the screen.
Finally it booted up with a message, reset or restore. Wasn't expecting the choice. I chose restore to see what's up.
After restore completed, my phone was still having battery drain issues. I decided to check out what this back up and restore thing was.
Pardon me I never read the manual. No need to go into discussion of the process.
I then chose to disable back up and restore, soft reset, and boom. Battery usage is now at -2%/hr. instead of -12-20% idle.

Have any of you made any progress with this?

After the Hard Reset, disable back up, restore, my battery life seems to b stabilized. Most importantly, the constantly device warm issue is gone. Touching the back of the phone and feeling cool gives me assurance the device is not running amok..
I tried posting earlier, was distracted by work.
Previously, my phone, according to Battery Sense, was consuming between -22% to -11% per hour idle. After the applied procedure, power consumption has been at a high of -11% per hour to as low as -1.1% per hour, with the average being around -2% per hour with use.
I am thinking Back up, Restore is the culprit. I does not show up in your idle process and is configured on by default.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

Have any of you made any progress with this?

After the Hard Reset, disable back up, restore, my battery life seems to b stabilized. Most importantly, the constantly device warm issue is gone. Touching the back of the phone and feeling cool gives me assurance the device is not running amok..
I tried posting earlier, was distracted by work.
Previously, my phone, according to Battery Sense, was consuming between -22% to -11% per hour idle. After the applied procedure, power consumption has been at a high of -11% per hour to as low as -1.1% per hour, with the average being around -2% per hour with use.
I am thinking Back up, Restore is the culprit. I does not show up in your idle process and is configured on by default.
I will give this a try today and see if it makes a difference to my phone.

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure some of out there are quiet thinking now, ?
My stuff is stable, not perfect
Give me some credit as this plays out. K?
Battrey Sense10-14-13.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb