Horribly inconsistent battery life on lumia!

KAI3R

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
So I've had the phone for 2 weeks now, and I have gone through literally every range of battery life. At some times I've gotten estimates of 3 day battery life, and have taken photos and played games constantly throughout the day... at other times like today my phone looses 25% in 1 hour and all I've done is rearrange live tiles and used the internet to search for what the heck my battery problems are from. Then just a few minutes ago that estimate jumps up from 5 hours to 12 hours for absolutely no reason, there are no apps running in the background (atleast not that its letting ME SEE) and I have Bluetooth off, wifi off, tap and send off, email synch set to 2 hours, location off, brightness on low, and all backround tasks disabled (that I CAN DISABLE) and the phone is completely up to date. I have no idea what to do, at some times I absolutely love this phone, but then every once in a while I take it out of my pocket at 7 in the morning and only have a quarter of my battery life left... I have heard some people saying that you need to cycle the battery (I have no clue what app to use in order to do this) so maybe its just giving misestimates. I also might add that the problem seems to have nothing to do with the heating issues. At some times after wirelessly charging I have a hot back, but extraordinary battery life, at other times I have a cool back and horrible battery life, and at others the thing is burning up in my pocket with nothing running and is draining my battery like heck. I attached a picture below just to show a short-four day-or-so span or my battery life showing the various extremes.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130210_0001.png
    wp_ss_20130210_0001.png
    119.5 KB · Views: 6
  • wp_ss_20130210_0002.png
    wp_ss_20130210_0002.png
    114.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
first you must understand how battery measurement works. Then according to your describe, your phone should last about 9hr average, which I think its ok to see a quarter left at 7pm. According to your graph it seems like average 12-14hrs, pretty good I say.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I feel for you.

Oddly my phone has been having a 'good' weekend. Meaning it currently shows 47% and has been on for 16 hours.

And yes, I hate it when people post and say they are getting great runtime when my phone sucks... but this is just how random this phone is. Sometimes mine looks like yours.

Your discharge rate looks like the GPS is stuck on - I only see what you are getting when Nokia Drive is running hidden. Make sure that is not set to run in the background. (IMO it's kind of stupid that it uses GPS when no route is active... but it does.)

KAI3R

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
first you must understand how battery measurement works. Then according to your describe, your phone should last about 9hr average, which I think its ok to see a quarter left at 7pm. According to your graph it seems like average 12-14hrs, pretty good I say.

No I mean at 7AM, as in I get it fully charged at night and after doing nothing its gone by morning. Also The problem isn't the averages, as yes on the whole I get good battery life... but then there is those days like today where I get a top of 7 hours without being able to do anything on it besides check the time.

... For nokia drive... I don't think I have ever actually opened that app, however, I did turn the background task off today and hopefully that might help. So far it doesn't seem to have changed anything, but i'm going to keep checking.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The question I have is the 920 any worse then the 900 in this regard? I've had ZERO battery life issues with my L900, but it's a simpler OS too.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like a bug with Nokia Drive, why should the user have to fiddle around with settings?

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I get the same issue, it's very inconsistent. Regarding Nokia Drive, this has been pointed to as a culprit before.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Uninstall Nokia Drive first and foremost. Next, fully charge device and perform a hard reset. It sucks, but it fixed mine. It took me 3 months to get good battery life. 12-14 hrs is about all you can expect on LTE with moderate use. Don't even pay attention to expected battery life meter until you have about a month of using phone. People who say they can go 2-3 days on one charge aren't using LTE or don't use their phone. Trust me, I've asked. You either have a process hanging, which soft reset should resolve, poor lte coverage, or you are using phone a lot. Also turn off connect for Xbox games. Gmail sync has also been an issue. Process of elimination. See what works.

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Been having battery life issues too. I uninstalled all apps, and turned off everything that is automatically done (syncing, etc.) and will see how long it lasts. I'm keeping wifi on and speeds on 3G. Hopefully I can find out if there was one culprit app or if the phone's battery life is ****ty in itself...

nbktonic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
16 hrs with what kind of service on always? 3g/ 4g / wifi?

I feel for you.

Oddly my phone has been having a 'good' weekend. Meaning it currently shows 47% and has been on for 16 hours.

And yes, I hate it when people post and say they are getting great runtime when my phone sucks... but this is just how random this phone is. Sometimes mine looks like yours.

Your discharge rate looks like the GPS is stuck on - I only see what you are getting when Nokia Drive is running hidden. Make sure that is not set to run in the background. (IMO it's kind of stupid that it uses GPS when no route is active... but it does.)

nbktonic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I get a mere 6-7 hrs battery life with HSPA+ on always with about 10 phone calls lasting only a few minutes, gaming a total of about 20-30mins and browsing twitter feeds and bloomberg most of the time. Background apps only Bloomberg on with live tile. Tell me this isnt good, someone? So I can go ask for a replacement!

w_byrnes

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you have already tried this. The solution to my battery draining problems was: close the tab(s) first before you exit Internet Explorer.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
16 hrs with what kind of service on always? 3g/ 4g / wifi?

When I first got the phone and was disappointed about the battery life (actually, I likely still am,) I tried turning everything off to see whether it made any real difference... NFC, no Wifi, Only Wifi etc. I concluded that nothing really made a big difference other than the Nokia Drive app. And note that I have Drive installed, but disabled as a background app.

My phone is currently set to 4G (fixed by AT&T), Wifi only when the phone is on, NFC on, location service on, Bluetooth is off though. I have 5 email accounts syncing and Twitter, Linked In.

Up to about 4 days ago the phone used to struggle to make it through a day and then it's suddenly doing much better.

At this point I would normally try and analyze what changed... but the evidence so far is that I've tried everything on this phone and it just has a mind of its own. If there is one thing that changed, and this may sounds far fetched, its that I used it quite a bit as a phone for a few days. It's mostly likely that this is nothing to do with the change and that today will be a bad day, but have you ever made some good telephone calls on the phone?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I get a mere 6-7 hrs battery life with HSPA+ on always with about 10 phone calls lasting only a few minutes, gaming a total of about 20-30mins and browsing twitter feeds and bloomberg most of the time. Background apps only Bloomberg on with live tile. Tell me this isnt good, someone? So I can go ask for a replacement!

I find it unlikely a replacement will help. It will likely improve as OS updates are released.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yep - im giving MS/Nokia 1 last chance - 8.1 or Blue (whatever its going to be called) had better fix my phone or im smashing it to bits and creating a nasty letter (mosaic style) using the pieces to Stephen Elop, thats if I can brealk the damn thing. Now I know why they made it so strong - so it doesnt break when people get pissed off with it and throw it against a wall. clever thinking and good anticipation!

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have had my phone for just under 2 weeks and was experiencing the same thing. My wife has not been, but she doesn't use hers as much. I turn things on and off, shut off the network and just ran wifi, yakati yak yak. What I discovered in my case is if I downloaded anything or got on the internet it would jump to 20 to 30% drain and stay there unless I did a soft reset, but not always??. My conclusion is it was a software problem some where. I reset the phone (about-reset phone, back up first) and that leveled out the battery drain. The battery stays at about 2.5%. It will obviously jump when using internet or any app that reqiures data, but it doesn't "stick". One thing, before the hard reset when the phone was idle it would maybe drain .5 % an hour, my wifes still does this, so if I didn't use it it would last for ever on standby. Now 2.5% drain is it always. That will still last at least a day though.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Yep - im giving MS/Nokia 1 last chance - 8.1 or Blue (whatever its going to be called) had better fix my phone or im smashing it to bits and creating a nasty letter (mosaic style) using the pieces to Stephen Elop, thats if I can brealk the damn thing. Now I know why they made it so strong - so it doesnt break when people get pissed off with it and throw it against a wall. clever thinking and good anticipation!

When is this update supposed to hit?? I feel ya. The battery sh!t is frustrating. Bad azz phone, but need a couple of tweeks. (playlist anyone?)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss