Horribly inconsistent battery life on lumia!

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
w_byrnes, so your lumia with the internet explorer tab open drained the battery? My wife, twice, has woken up now to a completely dead battery on her white lumia 920. My Red lumia never suffered this issue until this morning, I always use my phone as my alarm but when my cat started nudging me to wake up, I was wondering what time it was and when I went to check my phone(went to bed last night with maybe 75-80 percent life) I had to turn my phone on and it was completely wiped. My wife was using my phone last night so Im not sure what she used or left open but your saying it could have been the internet? Any other possible scenarios? I always maintain my background tasks, only having photostream(for wallpaper) and Imdb tile on and its never drained with them before so Im thinking maybe she left the internet or an app open? Need help, is there a better thread with this exact issue? Cannot wake up like that again...

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Apparently some ppl have had issues and after analysis they pinpointed it to IE not closing properly. The way to do it is to close all tabs and then exit out of it. Another tip is to switch your phone off and on (swipe down) after a reset.

Tbh i think a lot of it is luck until they fix it.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Apparently some ppl have had issues and after analysis they pinpointed it to IE not closing properly. The way to do it is to close all tabs and then exit out of it. Another tip is to switch your phone off and on (swipe down) after a reset.

Tbh i think a lot of it is luck until they fix it.

IE made no difference for me. I agree that what works for one person is different from another (luck). Waiting for a fix.

nbktonic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
When I first got the phone and was disappointed about the battery life (actually, I likely still am,) I tried turning everything off to see whether it made any real difference... NFC, no Wifi, Only Wifi etc. I concluded that nothing really made a big difference other than the Nokia Drive app. And note that I have Drive installed, but disabled as a background app.

My phone is currently set to 4G (fixed by AT&T), Wifi only when the phone is on, NFC on, location service on, Bluetooth is off though. I have 5 email accounts syncing and Twitter, Linked In.

Up to about 4 days ago the phone used to struggle to make it through a day and then it's suddenly doing much better.

At this point I would normally try and analyze what changed... but the evidence so far is that I've tried everything on this phone and it just has a mind of its own. If there is one thing that changed, and this may sounds far fetched, its that I used it quite a bit as a phone for a few days. It's mostly likely that this is nothing to do with the change and that today will be a bad day, but have you ever made some good telephone calls on the phone?

Thanks for the update mate. You are doing far better than what I could squeeze out of it. If I switch to 4G I am sure it'll drain out fairly quickly for me. Will give it a try and post the update once I get some peaceful days. Need the phone to stay on for at-least 10-14hours since I am outside most of the time! As everyone is saying, hopefully Blue fixes this thing off, because its embarrassing my iJunk friends keep bashing at me now after I have bashed them up enough for buying that iJunk crap in the first place just for Instagram.

Life's not fair!

Just to add to my earlier post: I have 3 emails account. 1 account to sync hourly. 1 daily and 1 manually. So nothing really is using much data or battery in the background. I hesitate removing Drive because it turns out to be useful when I am out sometimes. You just require this thing randomly when you are lost somewhere, you know what I mean?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
This could have been posted in one of the dozens other threads about battery life.

Try using the search function next time instead of contributing to turning this forum into a wall of the same complaints with exclamation marks over and over again.

Incessant posts like this are helping to drive away members who actually contribute something here.

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm an imposter here as I have an 820. My issues are exactly the same though. Average battery life generally, but weird battery indications. I've seen 100% for 11 hours. I've even gotten about an hour's light usage at 0%. The battery threads over at 820 just reflect what you guys see here. It all makes little sense. I just can't understand how producing a reliable battery indicator can be so difficult in this day and age. On top of that, did nobody at prototype stage use one some months back and see how the battery went? Clearly not!

ceraf

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
So far, I've only had two days where battery life was absolutely horrible. Prior to each of those days, I left my phone on until it shut down on its own, then put it on the wireless charger. The wireless charger doesn't seem to supply enough power to make it through the booting process, so the phone shuts off by itself...and then tries again, due to the detection of the wireless charger. I then used the wall charger to completely charge the phone, but the battery would discharge very quickly the next day.

I had to recharge it a couple times before it restored to its original battery life (usually lasts about 10-12 hours). Not sure why.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
So far, I've only had two days where battery life was absolutely horrible. Prior to each of those days, I left my phone on until it shut down on its own, then put it on the wireless charger. The wireless charger doesn't seem to supply enough power to make it through the booting process, so the phone shuts off by itself...and then tries again, due to the detection of the wireless charger. I then used the wall charger to completely charge the phone, but the battery would discharge very quickly the next day.

I had to recharge it a couple times before it restored to its original battery life (usually lasts about 10-12 hours). Not sure why.

Have you done a hard reset?

nbktonic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the update mate. You are doing far better than what I could squeeze out of it. If I switch to 4G I am sure it'll drain out fairly quickly for me. Will give it a try and post the update once I get some peaceful days. Need the phone to stay on for at-least 10-14hours since I am outside most of the time! As everyone is saying, hopefully Blue fixes this thing off, because its embarrassing my iJunk friends keep bashing at me now after I have bashed them up enough for buying that iJunk crap in the first place just for Instagram.

Life's not fair!

Just to add to my earlier post: I have 3 emails account. 1 account to sync hourly. 1 daily and 1 manually. So nothing really is using much data or battery in the background. I hesitate removing Drive because it turns out to be useful when I am out sometimes. You just require this thing randomly when you are lost somewhere, you know what I mean?

Allright then. I have never done a hard reset on this phone. I installed the Portico update few days back (less than a week) and I am experiencing random reboots way too often. I have had this phone for about 2 months now and probably only had 2 occasions where it has hung up on me and I have waited for it to reboot itself. After Portico, its just horrible. Every single day I am having a reboot - specially while recording videos or during Whatsapp usage.

Anyways for this same reason, today I did a soft reset and this has somehow magically improved battery life DRASTICALLY with 4G on all day (yep, it has lasted itself a day with medium to heavy usage as I do every day). This is some wonder. Whats wrong with this platform? Is it the OS or is it the hardware?

I am sure Blue is not gonna do any good for us!

Bob Hoil

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I honestly have had no problems with battery life. Have WiFi always on, NFC, four emails, Facebook, twitter, linkedin all syncing. Play games for about thirty minutes, browser for over an hour a day.. Make it 16 hours on a charge no problem. That's not including the fact I send about 3-5 thousand text messages a month and talk on phone for about an hour.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Something I've noticed on my Lumia 920 is that, if I take it off the charger at 100%, it stays at 100% for a pretty long time compared to how long it stays at any other percentage. I'm not sure if this is how all smartphone batteries act but that's what I noticed. If the battery acted the same way it did at 100% then I would easily be able to get through the day with heavy usage. However, after the battery drops below 100%, then the battery starts draining a lot more quickly.

Right now I'm experimenting with topping off my battery. So far, idle time has improved but overall battery is about the same.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro