Lumia 920 has dust collecting in front camera but AT&T store won't accept it past 14 days

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I have a relative with a Lumia 920 who just visited an AT&T store to get his phone replaced for the poor construction defect resulting in his front camera collecting dust but the store told him he has to go 30 miles up north to a warranty center since he bought his phone back in December.

My question is, is this his only option or is there another way to demand a replacement?

Did anybody have a similar problem where they went past the 14 day return period with AT&T but managed to get a replacement?

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
AT&T is not obligated to swap the phone after 14 days. Said relative should be dealing with Nokia directly.

AT&T might have processed a warranty replacement for you (99.9% of the time, you'll get a refurb) if you had a "legitimate" defect, but I don't see them doing that for dust under the front facing camera.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
AT&T is not obligated to swap the phone after 14 days. Said relative should be dealing with Nokia directly.

AT&T might have processed a warranty replacement for you (99.9% of the time, you'll get a refurb) if you had a "legitimate" defect, but I don't see them doing that for dust under the front facing camera.
So pretty much every AT&T customer in this forum is dealing with Nokia directly after 14 days?

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
So pretty much every AT&T customer in this forum is dealing with Nokia directly after 14 days?

I probably will be. Nokia said got give it a shot with AT&T if I need it soon, otherwise I can send it to them. My phone has various other issues besides just the dust though, hoping AT&T will do a swap.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My replacement came directly from Nokia and I worked with them. Started with them on twitter then they advised me to email there support and they processed the exchange through there

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

You can do a warranty swap for the first year from either AT&T or Nokia. I am just a few minutes from an AT&T service center, so I did AT&T. You can try getting them to do the swap by calling 611. Well after 14 days of purchase, you will get a refurb. It will look like new.

theprawn

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
AT&T said warranty swap wasn't an option, dust under the screen is considered user damage. I called Nokia, they had me send it in... more than 10 days without a phone, I got it back. They blew out the earpiece same as I'd been doing and put "no fault found" on the repair order. Ungh. Had they told me over the phone they wouldn't fix it, I wouldn't have wasted my time (and money on service I wasn't using). . .

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I have a relative with a Lumia 920 who just visited an AT&T store to get his phone replaced for the poor construction defect resulting in his front camera collecting dust but the store told him he has to go 30 miles up north to a warranty center since he bought his phone back in December.

My question is, is this his only option or is there another way to demand a replacement?

Did anybody have a similar problem where they went past the 14 day return period with AT&T but managed to get a replacement?
those warrenty centers suck my 920 bricked and they told me the same thing and when I got there they didn't even have a replacement. Just call them and have them replace it through mail.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd go to Nokia on that.

I don't have that problem with my phone so I don't think it's typical.

That said, I probably wouldn't care if it did. I've never used the FFC on any phone I've ever owned. Not even once. I wouldn't care if it had no FFC at all.

theprawn

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I'd go to Nokia on that.

I don't have that problem with my phone so I don't think it's typical.

That said, I probably wouldn't care if it did. I've never used the FFC on any phone I've ever owned. Not even once. I wouldn't care if it had no FFC at all.

Whether or not you'd use it yourself it's still a real failure of quality control.
...and with time that dust causes the proximity sensor to always think the phone is on your face, preventing hanging up or navigating support menus

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
did your phone also have a space between the unibody and the screen? mine does. i mean i can fit the edge of a piece of paper in there. i bought mine off of ebay so i'm going to call nokia tomorrow and see what the deal is.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Many Lumia's are victim to this design/manufacturing defect. I've been through about 6 Lumias (between the 900 and 920) for various issues. I can, unfortunately, say that you are most likely going to run into SOME kind of design/manufacturing flaw - especially if you go through AT&T to have them send you another refurbished/faulty handset.

Many of the Lumia's I've had have had the space between the screen and bezel that allows dust to get into the innards of the phone. If you are going to try to have your phone repaired, I highly suggest you go through Nokia instead of AT&T.

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe I'm stuck with this phone for the next 18 months.... I can't even imagine what other problems are going to crop up on this phone...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos