Lumia 920 GPS is not good

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
GPS positioning in Nokia is really bad. Tryed Edumondo, RunTastic and Marathon. After testing these apps i get a 600! 600 meters off in length. Nokia City Lens or what its called calibrates really bad.
Draining power and what not i can live with....but 600 meter.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I have no problems with it. In fact, I'm quite surprised that it can even pinpoint me to my office. On a sat map I can see where I should be in the building and it always puts me dead on.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
No problem here either ... not at home, either during my holiday (Philippines) ... but it might use a mobile network for a location first, if it does not catch GPS signal

pjmacklin

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
i'm in seattle, wa. I use OneBusAway which uses gps and is optimized for wp. occasionally, my lumia reminds me the app is only good in seattle and when the map appears it show me as being in the middle of the Potomac river in Maryland. it's an annoying anomaly I've been trying to ignore until last night. I was goofing around with another favorite app, point, which, again using gps, gave me weather for some community in...you guessed it, Maryland! annoying! :cry:

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
i'm in seattle, wa. I use OneBusAway which uses gps and is optimized for wp. occasionally, my lumia reminds me the app is only good in seattle and when the map appears it show me as being in the middle of the Potomac river in Maryland. it's an annoying anomaly I've been trying to ignore until last night. I was goofing around with another favorite app, point, which, again using gps, gave me weather for some community in...you guessed it, Maryland! annoying! :cry:

Hmmmm, I think that I read about it here, was it an AT&T problem ? - somebody else know this case better than me, I am living in europe :)

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just curious to know ... have you downloaded maps ? - did you try to update your maps ? - are you trying to use GPS inside ? - do you have inaccurate result outside too ?

pjmacklin

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
issues with one bus away have been outside, on different days. poynt issues were just noted, inside, last night. since deleting the "local cache" in the one bus away settings last night, this event has not repeated. still, don't think I should have to clear the cache or reset the device that often. from here on will be more attentive to provide better feedback should this continue.

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You too!! I turned on my Nokia maps to be shown that my location was first in Arlington, TX and then in the middle of some damn river near Washington DC! Had to use wife's iPhone on that drive. *facepalm*

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
You too!! I turned on my Nokia maps to be shown that my location was first in Arlington, TX and then in the middle of some damn river near Washington DC! Had to use wife's iPhone on that drive. *facepalm*
felt it's ATT issue, I've been in that river a while back

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
felt it's ATT issue, I've been in that river a while back
just setup my new 920 and guess where the weather location was... 😆😆
Had to open nokia maps and wait for proper location coordinates. Both accuweather, twc showed wrong locations, closer to Bethesda.
Nokia drive+ though picked up the location but am guessing the gps started working by then.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
just setup my new 920 and guess where the weather location was... ����
Had to open nokia maps and wait for proper location coordinates. Both accuweather, twc showed wrong locations, closer to Bethesda.
Nokia drive+ though picked up the location but am guessing the gps started working by then.

My experience is that Nokia Drive+ catch GPS signal faster, usually very fast (even inside), but Drive+ is also more power hungry .... Nokia Maps is slower to catch GPS signal and it usually shows a location first based on a mobile network (grey spot) and then, it will catch GPS signal (green spot) ... Nokia maps has easily problem to catch signal inside the buildings, when Drive+ can still usually catch the signal (of course, they are meant to use outside, but just to get an idea about all that) ... they are just done by a different way ...

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
In my case if I faced the problem with Nokia Drive+ in which it didn't update your location in map frequently and happened to get heated up or freezed. But the moment I downloaded the whole city map, Drive+ was amazing fast.

There was another scenerio, when i used Citi Lense to locate Fast Trax food joint inside the mall. It showed 35 meters. But when I looked for the direction. It kept on searching my current location for hours. So I finally gave up. Maybe inside the mall building something must have jammed GPS signals

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Sweden, your neighbor here. I'm walking prepared courses here so the phone even have the possibility to use existing data...but it does not. The iPhone was close and that really grinds my teeth. If you want to exercise, don't use any apps, and especially a Lumia 920. Its more precise to count your steps. I wonder if all Windows Phones GPS sux since technically different apps should give different readings, and that it does not.
Also using Drive + Beta it takes a kilometer or two to get the position to stable down.
All I know is I'm very dissatisfied with my Lumia 920 GPS. There are other issues the L920 have but that's for a different thread. For now, position is next to bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786