Lumia 920 GPS is not good

dermotf

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I have used Edumondo and am now testing RunTastic. They are both very accurate but I would say Runtastic is the best. It is accurate to within 2 metres.

connectme

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I find that using Endomondo the phone loses coverage periodically. this is informed as you run. As a consequence it does count the distance incorrectly. Please remove the pause when stationary selection and you will find that it works fine.

pjmacklin

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
to follow up: the "glen echo" event was only occurring intermittently. took my 920 to the att techs to see if they knew anything and/or had recommendations. they replaced the sim and the event reoccurred. not only that, my location would alternate between seattle and brookmont when I hit the locate me button on nokia maps...almost every time. the techs suggested resetting the device. started this just past 3pm. it's almost 11pm and the reset is still not complete. just a little frustrated right now and am hoping this sorts itself out my morning. not sure who all is at fault but this is beginning to sour my nokia experience.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
to follow up: the "glen echo" event was only occurring intermittently. took my 920 to the att techs to see if they knew anything and/or had recommendations. they replaced the sim and the event reoccurred. not only that, my location would alternate between seattle and brookmont when I hit the locate me button on nokia maps...almost every time. the techs suggested resetting the device. started this just past 3pm. it's almost 11pm and the reset is still not complete. just a little frustrated right now and am hoping this sorts itself out my morning. not sure who all is at fault but this is beginning to sour my nokia experience.
It's AT&T, not Nokia.

AT&T has had issues with the location on Android devices too. http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-inspire-4g/134457-gps-showing-wrong-location.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-atrix-2/152404-accuweather-default-wrong-city-please-help.html

Rickosw

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

pjmacklin

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's AT&T, not Nokia.

thanks. most helpful. and, so you know, this "reset" has now been going on for 16 hours! gps notwithstanding, am sure that's likely an att issue, too? either way, my point was to share information on my experience with the gps problem!

rickosw, yes, I use a case with my 920 but the gps problem occurred with and without the case. oh, and in the event you haven't read the couple postings in this thread, it's a network issue!!

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
thanks. most helpful. and, so you know, this "reset" has now been going on for 16 hours! gps notwithstanding, am sure that's likely an att issue, too? either way, my point was to share information on my experience with the gps problem!

rickosw, yes, I use a case with my 920 but the gps problem occurred with and without the case. oh, and in the event you haven't read the couple postings in this thread, it's a network issue!!
It's possible that a reset was not even necessary. AT&T (and any other provider) typically do not have very helpful or knowledgeable customer service reps. The first thing they will tell you is "reset your device" no matter what device you have, especially if they don't know the right answer. That's their standard line.

I typically don't trust AT&T reps to have any knowledge of problems, and they rarely admit their network is the problem. When I used a BlackBerry, AT&T wouldn't even admit that there was a global BIS outage; of course I knew about the outage from CrackBerry (and even the New York Times had a story), yet the AT&T rep sounded clueless.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
GPS positioning in Nokia is really bad. Tryed Edumondo, RunTastic and Marathon. After testing these apps i get a 600! 600 meters off in length. Nokia City Lens or what its called calibrates really bad.
Draining power and what not i can live with....but 600 meter.

Never tried those apps so I can't comment but Nokia Drive has yet to fail me.

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Instead of store AT&T, if you're lucky and have a AT&T device support center, head up there. Those guys are little more knowledgeable and have patience too.

pjmacklin

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
well, lak611, knowledgeable or not, the att reps are one of the few options if I legitimately need help. the parroting of issues here, real or otherwise, can sometimes be helpful in identifying issues but useless otherwise. it's been pointed out a couple times prior to your input that the gps issue is likely network related. in the days leading to my visit to the att techs yesterday, I had employed a couple different work arounds but was hoping they had a better solution. apparently the factory reset fried my lumia.

of note, I was the first to visit the tech department at the local att store this morning. and, yes, they ended up replacing my lumia. the next two gentlemen, both lumia owners, seemed to be experiencing reset issues, one of which dated back to sunday past. oh, and one of the guys was a Microsoft employee!! an interesting little wrinkle!

as I mentioned, my lumia was replaced. getting my information over was reasonably painless though it seemed there were cosmetic changes to certain web pages. the gps problem, at least initially, persists! the weather channel located my device in Bethesda, MD. will continue to work through and look for a solution. hopefully this will sort itself out soon.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Just a heads up, but early last week (last monday or tuesday) i uninstalled a bunch of apps (mostly geolocation apps) that i really don't use often and disabled the "keep wifi on" setting. My phone hasn't had a freeze/unresponsive/appears-turned-off episode since.... or put me in the middle of that river in Glen Echo

Before it would happen at least every other day or up to twice a day with the freezing, or a few times a week with the Glen Echo thing...

Give it a try unchecking the "keep wifi on..." setting, and/or uninstalling a few location apps

The only apps i have in the background are:
Amazing Weather HD
Markets & Me +

and then while i'm driving i'll turn on:
HERE Drive+ Beta

Or when i'm running:
Runtastic PRO

andre syamsuar

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Fellow Lumia 920 GPS Sufferers,

I experienced GPS problem, too. Based on my case, I found the answer.
Previously I have performed
Soft reset, didn't work.
Hard reset, didn't work.
Updated the OS, didn't work.
I brought it to Nokia Care Center Singapore, they reflashed the device, still didn't work.
Uninstalled and reinstalled Nokia Maps, still didn't work.
I even uninstalled and reinstalled my apps one by one to see which one was causing conflict, didn't work either.
Juxtaposed with Note II's Google Maps whether areas where I tried GPS were having bad signal. Still failed.
Consulted Nokia Care's Twitter, they had no specific clue.

At last, I brought my phone to Nokia Care Center Singapore for the second time. After making significant noise and sternly warned them that I ask for Brand New replacement if the third time still fruitless. Now they took the matters more seriously, and they diagnosed that they had to replace certain component attached to the motherboard (they didn't specify what that component is, they always have poor communication between service counter staffs and technicians). They believed this part is faulty, (I believed it to be factory defect), and it could not be removed from motherboard, so they replaced the motherboard all together. After setting the parameters, also turning on My Location in Maps Background Setting, now, finally the GPS works (so far). It even picked up signal and locked my position faster than Note II. I still yet to try it on more occasions. It is safe to say that the problem lies with the hardware.

Rickosw

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Fellow Lumia 920 GPS Sufferers,

I experienced GPS problem, too. Based on my case, I found the answer.
Previously I have performed
Soft reset, didn't work.
Hard reset, didn't work.
Updated the OS, didn't work.
I brought it to Nokia Care Center Singapore, they reflashed the device, still didn't work.
Uninstalled and reinstalled Nokia Maps, still didn't work.
I even uninstalled and reinstalled my apps one by one to see which one was causing conflict, didn't work either.
Juxtaposed with Note II's Google Maps whether areas where I tried GPS were having bad signal. Still failed.
Consulted Nokia Care's Twitter, they had no specific clue.

At last, I brought my phone to Nokia Care Center Singapore for the second time. After making significant noise and sternly warned them that I ask for Brand New replacement if the third time still fruitless. Now they took the matters more seriously, and they diagnosed that they had to replace certain component attached to the motherboard (they didn't specify what that component is, they always have poor communication between service counter staffs and technicians). They believed this part is faulty, (I believed it to be factory defect), and it could not be removed from motherboard, so they replaced the motherboard all together. After setting the parameters, also turning on My Location in Maps Background Setting, now, finally the GPS works (so far). It even picked up signal and locked my position faster than Note II. I still yet to try it on more occasions. It is safe to say that the problem lies with the hardware.

which Nokia Service Center ? Harbour Front / Jurong Point?

You can also post on hardwarezone fourm, to let the others know :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss