02-28-2013 08:05 AM
62 123
tools
    could LTE be draining a battery? I had a relatively good battery life, now I barely get 24h out of it with the same usage
    02-15-2013 06:40 PM
    I would feel lucky if it can make it past 12 hrs without recharging. I have had the phone for 3 days and feel very disappointed by the battery life. However if I turn-off mobile data and set it to 2G the drain seem to be very less.

I really hope that this is a software bug since I bought the phone on ebay and am not sure if I can get a proper replacement.
    02-15-2013 09:08 PM
    Your battery life will be amazing if you follow these steps
    1) Turn on Battery Saver on
    2) In settings disable all background process when not opened
    3) Turn off Wifi, Bluetooth and Navigation when not using it
    4) Turn on NFC only when you are using it
    5) Always use 2G. However if you are using internet data, then switch to 3G and turn back to 2G once you are done. I know its cumbersome.

I follow this practice and my battery lasts for 3 days with average calling and 2 hours of music every day :P
    02-16-2013 12:10 AM
    I typically get around 35-40 hours of normal usage before the battery drains completely. There are some random days (once a month or so) when the battery drains much quicker. A reboot seems to fix the issue and hopefully the next round of updates will iron out these discrepancies. Here is a screenshot from a week ago :-).
    Attachment 28785
    How do you do it ? (your pic shows over 3 days) - do you keep your mobile network on 2G as maximum connection speed ? ... and just switch to higher connection speed when needed ?
    02-16-2013 12:29 AM
    My 920 drain very fast!!! when playing something on it
    (charging also fast too)

but good keeping level when leave it standby
    02-16-2013 01:11 AM
    I just had a weird thing happen on my 4th 920. My phone was hot and at 96% so I powered down the phone and powered it back up and now its at 82%. How could I have lost 14% battery life by turning the phone off then on? Microsoft really needs to fix this poor OS. 4 of my friends have already jumped back to IOS due to battery issues on their htc's and 920s.
    02-16-2013 08:28 AM
    How do you do it ? (your pic shows over 3 days) - do you keep your mobile network on 2G as maximum connection speed ? ... and just switch to higher connection speed when needed ?
    The estimated time remaining (3 days) is not very accurate and can change quite a bit with consistent usage. My real world tests show that I get ~40hrs of normal usage and that is better than any smartphone I have owned in the past. I have very good LTE reception at work and home the two places that I spend most of my time and IMO it is rather pointless to use a flagship phone in 2G mode.

I have wifi always on, NFC turned off, bluetooth turned off and location mostly off. I toggle location when I need to use Maps/Nokia Drive and the GPS fix is pretty quick for me.
    Turned off background tasks for most of the applications including Nokia Drive. I uninstalled skype early on when I found my battery life taking a considerable hit and I have had no real problems since then.
    Try turning off the background tasks for your applications and see if it helps
    02-16-2013 09:32 AM
    I'd like to ask, it it bad for the phone''s battery if battery saver is constantly on?

I am asking this because I noticed some screenshots with 77% battery but saver on.
    02-16-2013 11:11 AM
    The estimated time remaining (3 days) is not very accurate and can change quite a bit with consistent usage. My real world tests show that I get ~40hrs of normal usage and that is better than any smartphone I have owned in the past. I have very good LTE reception at work and home the two places that I spend most of my time and IMO it is rather pointless to use a flagship phone in 2G mode.

I have wifi always on, NFC turned off, bluetooth turned off and location mostly off. I toggle location when I need to use Maps/Nokia Drive and the GPS fix is pretty quick for me.
    Turned off background tasks for most of the applications including Nokia Drive. I uninstalled skype early on when I found my battery life taking a considerable hit and I have had no real problems since then.
    Try turning off the background tasks for your applications and see if it helps
    will turning location off and deleting skype really help the battery? Because for now to help my l920 i turned lte off to 3g because it was killing the battery. Btw i have a very good lte reception.
    02-16-2013 11:19 AM
    in addition to my previous post - my battery life worsened about a week or so ago, all I did was run some updates, plus now I have LTE in my area, had 4g before.
    i have no GPS, no Bluetooth, no WIFI, no NFC, no background tasks running except 2 weather apps. I do have Skype on most of the time, but this is the way it has always been. I know Skype for W8 is basically useless as it lags behind and has no functionality. I barely watch video or listen to the music, just few emails and few phonecalls. Take few pics here and there. Overall no excessive use.
    I can't pinpoint what killed my battery.
    02-16-2013 11:43 AM
    I have been searching for this maximum connection speed setting but cannot seem to find it. I have 4G LTE at home and it appears to affect battery life, but there is no such category as "mobile network" in settings. All I can find is an option to turn off the data connection completely. Am I simply blind and don't realize it yet?
    Andyshine77 likes this.
    02-16-2013 10:43 PM
    I have been searching for this maximum connection speed setting but cannot seem to find it. I have 4G LTE at home and it appears to affect battery life, but there is no such category as "mobile network" in settings. All I can find is an option to turn off the data connection completely. Am I simply blind and don't realize it yet?
    AT&T has removed this setting from their Windows Phones. An alternative is to dial ##3282, hit the three dots at the lower-right, and go to settings. This is a field test, and allows you to force the network connection to 3G... just remember their phones say "4G" when on 3G... That tripped me up for a while. I thought the setting wasn't working, but it does.
    02-16-2013 11:04 PM
    will turning location off and deleting skype really help the battery? Because for now to help my l920 i turned lte off to 3g because it was killing the battery. Btw i have a very good lte reception.
    Cant hurt to try it out and see if it makes a difference. You can always re-install skype if it doesnt help your cause. I dont change any of the cellular settings and my battery life is pretty good.
    I had installed skype beta as soon as I got the phone and my battery life the first 2-3 days was barely lasting 16-18 hrs but its been stellar since I uninstalled skype.
    02-16-2013 11:27 PM
    Has anyone tried running the 920 on 2G/GSM only as see how the battery does in that mode ? And if the phone still warms up if you are using whatsap.. if it doesn't, the whole battery thing might have something to do with the networking stack in WP 8.

Try 2g only, 3g only, and LTE.. and see what the difference is between the 3 modes.
    02-17-2013 10:12 AM
    Sounds a weird question but... do you make many voice calls?
    No, not at work. I always put the phone in Airplane Mode while at work because there isn't any signal (and thus, it's not having to use juice looking for a cignal constantly). It's pretty haed to make calls in Airplane Mode.
    02-21-2013 02:02 PM
    AT&T has removed this setting from their Windows Phones. An alternative is to dial ##3282, hit the three dots at the lower-right, and go to settings. This is a field test, and allows you to force the network connection to 3G... just remember their phones say "4G" when on 3G... That tripped me up for a while. I thought the setting wasn't working, but it does.
    Actually, 4G is not 3G..... on AT&T, 4G is HSPA+ and LTE is LTE. 3G is 3G. This is proven by AT&T's iPhone 4S (which says 4G and is hooked up to HSPA+) which is not LTE enabled. AT&T uses two different 4G bands, LTE and HSPA+, because not all 4G devices are LTE enabled.
    02-21-2013 02:07 PM
    Had this phone for 3 months, best i can do is 10h or so every day. I had one day where i got 23h, but that was it, back to 10h days.

Bluetooth, NFC, high touch sensitivity, push, all turned Off.
    Only app running in the background is Battery Widget.

I use about 1-2h of web browsing and rss reader per day and the occasional text or 2. Nothing else.

Hopeless battery, returned it twice they gave it back a week or two later and said nothing was wrong with it and that they used internet for 5h and it only dropped 2%.
    02-21-2013 09:57 PM
    I'm getting about 2 days (~40 hours) with moderate use.

You're full of ****!
    02-21-2013 09:59 PM
    My 920 usually lasts a work day, from 8am till around 7pm, with 20% - 30% left. I actually think that's very good battery life considering that the People Hub is always connected to my Facebook and Twitter. Also got Whatsapp and 2 emails always connected.

In comparison, my old Nokia N8 and 808 also lasted around that time but they didn't have that that kind of persistent internet connection; I opened apps to access my Facebook and Twitter.

Anyhow, I did start out with horrid battery life, which stabilised to the above after about 2 weeks of use. I tried a hard reset, wiping everything, but the battery life remained as above.
    I have experimented with having my 2 emails on sync every 15/30 mins vs always-connected and I don't see enough of a drain difference to recommend avoiding always-connected.
    I have switched off all background apps, and left everything on... again, not enough of a drain difference to recommend switching off all/most background apps - I have a smart phone!
    I did remove Nokia Drive Beta, uninstalled it and waiting for the full version to be released.
    Also removed Skype but I don't think it caused any issues for me.

Did experience a crazy 25% per hour drain due to some syncing issue with Twitter and Outlook but sorted that out by clearing my Twitter account of all the extra permissions given other apps...

That's that.
    02-22-2013 01:35 AM
    I'm still always getting 2 days + some hours of batterylife with moderate usage :D
    02-22-2013 02:05 AM
    I'm pretty sure Nokia has a few paid posters on here..
    Andyshine77 likes this.
    02-22-2013 02:08 AM
    I have to charge my phone up each night but I'm getting roughly the same battery life (sometimes worse) as my iPhone 4. The signal at work is pretty poor and I know that a lot of the time the drain is because it's working harder when I'm using it to find a signal. I'm not overly worried about my battery life at the moment but would prefer a longer life with it, sure.
    02-22-2013 02:43 AM
    I'm still always getting 2 days + some hours of batterylife with moderate usage :D
    I wish
    Andyshine77 likes this.
    02-22-2013 03:12 AM
    While people think they have wonderful suggestions about disabling this and doing that, the reality is that none of it makes a difference.

These two pictures are the same phone with the same apps with the same cellular network and location and usage and everything. Just a different day of the week...

wp_ss_20130220_0001.pngwp_ss_20130212_0001.png

Yes, one looses less than 30% battery in 24 hours. The other is more typical and from the Peak Discharge rate, looses about the same in one of it's hours!

And before you start saying I'm doing it all wrong, this is with almost every app not permitting background mode, this is backing out of apps etc.

Curiously I've found that disabling NFC and all those wonderful features everyone instantly suggests to turn off, actually makes no difference.... this phone has all that on, on both these days as I never change it.

Either there is a software bug and the OS is leaving processes running, or there is a bug that leaves hardware running or there is a hardware fault. On a lot of phones.

Personally I believe there is a software/firmware issue that needs a fix. In the meantime you can try and do or suggest anything you like, but believe me, you're wasting your time as I've tried it all.
    Gambit11B and nikhilr51 like this.
    02-22-2013 08:07 AM
    While people think they have wonderful suggestions about disabling this and doing that, the reality is that none of it makes a difference.

These two pictures are the same phone with the same apps with the same cellular network and location and usage and everything. Just a different day of the week...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20130220_0001.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	29282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20130212_0001.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	29283

Yes, one looses less than 30% battery in 24 hours. The other is more typical and from the Peak Discharge rate, looses about the same in one of it's hours!

And before you start saying I'm doing it all wrong, this is with almost every app not permitting background mode, this is backing out of apps etc.

Curiously I've found that disabling NFC and all those wonderful features everyone instantly suggests to turn off, actually makes no difference.... this phone has all that on, on both these days as I never change it.

Either there is a software bug and the OS is leaving processes running, or there is a bug that leaves hardware running or there is a hardware fault. On a lot of phones.

Personally I believe there is a software/firmware issue that needs a fix. In the meantime you can try and do or suggest anything you like, but believe me, you're wasting your time as I've tried it all.

Finally!!! Someone with some sense, and able to approach this extremely sensitive topic with honesty.
    02-22-2013 08:14 AM
62 123