Any idea if/ when there might be a portico update for the unlocked Lumia 920 in the UK?

Dinkumschnauger

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
PLEASE could someone let me know if/ when the Lumia 920 (factory unlocked) will be getting the update in the UK - I'd like to know ASAP as I'm thinking of selling my phone for another but this could sway me (I originally dropped a lot to get an unlocked Lumia 920 so I'm hesitiant - think I got caught up in the hype at the time an also I thought unlocked phones got better SW support. Woops!!)
P.S: I was under the impression this sort of update issue (or lack of) was meant to be irrelevant on Windows Phone. What went wrong?

Dinkumschnauger

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I got mine from Clove UK too - looks like we are alone in the no update crew. I can't think why it would be specific to devices sold by Clove though, that just doesn't make any sense...

M4RC, are you in the UK? Where did you get your L920?

dabdoub81

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Some people said that they changed the region and changed it back then they got the update , and some just removed the battery saver , not sure but give it a try , who knews :)

Omega Point

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I was told soon by Nokia, but that was a few weeks ago.

Unlocked != Unbranded, a phone purchased from Phones4U or EE and unlocked will still get updates when available for EE branded phones. The only 2 sources for unbranded 920's in the UK were Clove and Expansys, all others were EE branded.

mick57

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
My 920 came from unlocked-mobiles.com. There were many places that obtained stock of unlocked UK 920's such as Handtec, Mobile Fun etc at the same time as Clove and Expansys

Having said that, still no update as of this morning, vary disappointing as I bought unlocked so not to be carrier dependant for updates and to get them immediately.

Lesson learned that Nokia and Windows Phone are not the dream team for me and unless this is just teething problems with infrastructure etc and the level of communication improves and they let us know why this is happening I will be looking at heading back to iOS with the hopefully larger screen iPhone 6/ iOS 7.

PS No I do not want to flash it myself, thanks.

M4RC

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I got my 920 from phones4u on EE. It was unlocked when i got it. Tried a few different sim*s. They all work fine.. I got the OTA update. Battery performance is way better..

Dinkumschnauger

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey mick57, I'm in the same boat as you! I bought unlocked thinking the support etc. would be better but here we are 3/4 months later still with no update. I will join you in the return to iOS, all this confusion drives me nuts!
I hope MS sort this out in the future/ release an own brand phone that eliminates the messiness of WP..

weis

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Same fate for us Finnish users... no updates and nobody in Nokia is saying anything about the date when we'll get the update, only "soon, soon..."
On the other hand I've just bought a Nexus 7 and right away received JB 4.2.2 updates, only 2 days after it's announced. It impresses the h..l out of me...
I had never had Android device before this but it may very well be the choice of my next phone... though I'm stucked with L920 as for now.

Otherwise I wouldn't be so hurry getting the update if everything on L920 works fine... No everything is not fine. The camera hasn't worked properly for the last one and half months and I'm waiting to see if the update fixs it or do I have to send it to service. I've read horror stories of 920 coming back from service all scratched so I don't fancy the idea of sending it out...

Last edited:

weis

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Well I got bored of waiting for the unknown day when my L920 gets the update, and decided to put things in my own hand. I installed Nokia Care Suit and with that I flashed my phone with the Portico update. After the initial uncertainty everything went surprisingly smooth and it didn't take more than maybe 15min for the whole process after the 1.3GB(about) firmware was downloaded. But, and a BIG BUT, the new firmware didn't fix the camera. It stopped boncing back to Home screen ( as with the old firmware), but the screen just stay black without doing anything. So there it went to the service company... Let's hope that it comes back with a working camera... It sucks having to use a dump spare phone...

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
There is an update somewhere for it, as the phone that the repair centre sent me had Portico (just a shame it was damaged when they sent it back)

They just don't seem to be bothered about actually realeasing it.........

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte