The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Now this is weird.

I too had the screen brightness issue after the Portico update and had to revert to the "Low" manual setting for my sanity from a up, down, dim or bright situation it gave.
    Well in a separate post, a poster mentioned a problem he had with downloading a Spanish keyboard.
    Well, to help a brother out, I tried to replicate his problem by downloading the said keyboard to my EE 920 via T-mobile on 3g.
    It prompted the usual "Prep...to download... then gave a warning( can't remember what)and said the phone would restart, blah, blah after the installation which would take between 5 - 10 mins.
    Went ahead with anyway and it downloaded the keyboard for about 9 mb and installed. Sure enough, it restarted but this time, it did a similar thing to when Portico was updating and looked a bit more serious shifting media etc.... Any how, when the phone restarted, the new keyboard was installed and the brightness issue has now GONE.
    Don't know why or what went on but I now have auto screen brightness as it was before.

Don't know if anyone else wants to try it and see if it happens to them?
    deepblue82 likes this.
    02-15-2013 09:08 AM
    Were you ever getting the issue where your phone, when booting up from a shut down, would go into SUPER BRIGHT mode? Wonder if that is gone too?

Can you uninstall keyboards later?
    Last edited by Curtieson; 02-15-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    02-15-2013 09:29 AM
    Were you ever getting the issue were your phone, we booting up from a shut down, would go into SUPER BRIGHT mode? Wonder if that is gone too?

Can you uninstall keyboards later?
    That's the one!! I dare not uninstall the keyboard just yet!
    I had previously added the US keyboard to see how keyboard switching works and then uninstalled. I'll give it a few more hours.

Edit : Uninstalled keyboard, Auto brightness still working correcrtly!!
    Last edited by greycounciller; 02-15-2013 at 10:52 AM.
    02-15-2013 09:35 AM
    Changing a voice region (e.g. US to UK) also does this 'reinstall' on the phone. It's basically the same process that happens when you upgrade the firmware, but without anything changing as it reimports all the settings again.
    02-15-2013 11:36 AM
    I tried the region change from UK to US before and it didn't alter the change as this did.
    Anyway, I'd appreciate someone else trying it and see what happens.
    02-15-2013 11:50 AM
    I hope it does work, but I have found that I could go a full day without seeing the issue. It seems to be most noticeable in a dimly lit room, where I could hold the phone out and just watch the screen cycle through different dim levels...

i'll check back in a day or two and see if it does in fact work.
    02-15-2013 12:27 PM
    Wow, it's hard to believe, but I just tried this suggestion and added another keyboard and.....it just works!!!

The flashing display annoyed me after the protico update, it was just fine before. Interesting thing is now, that portico changed a way in battery management (or with other words, the battery should last longer). Before I've recharged my phone yesterday evening, it was running for over 4 (!) days without a recharge! At the time I've plugged in the charger cable it says that I still have 6 hours remaining (9%, battery saver was on). So I hope that this behavior we're having isn't the better battery management (dim display to save battery). Will keep an eye on it over the next days.

Big thanks for this great tip!!!
    greycounciller likes this.
    02-15-2013 12:58 PM
    Which Spanish keyboard did you try? Mexico, 15 MB download or Spain, 22 MB download? Just in case it matters :p
    02-15-2013 01:46 PM
    I think you could pick any keyboard... I've tried it with Slovakia (was the smallest I found in a quick search, ~ 4mb)
    02-15-2013 01:56 PM
    I just installed the Spanish (Mexico) keyboard to try this out. It came out of the "update" a little brighter than I expected. I turned auto brightness off and it went to high even though low was selected. I cycled to medium and back to low. Put it back on auto brightness, just a matter of time now to see if it did anything for the auto brightness issues.
    02-15-2013 01:58 PM
    Which Spanish keyboard did you try? Mexico, 15 MB download or Spain, 22 MB download? Just in case it matters :p
    I used the Spanish keyboard. Still working fine.
    02-15-2013 02:23 PM
    Nope. didn't work for me. There is a light in my sons play room that always made my screen spaz out when I had it set to auto brightness (post portico) and after adding the spanish (spanish) keyboard, it still did the same thing for me in the same light.
    02-15-2013 11:34 PM
    Worked for me -- thanks!!
    03-10-2013 12:51 PM
    This seems to have worked for me too! Thanks!
    03-10-2013 08:19 PM
    Never heard of that. I keep my auto brightness off because its a HUGE battery sucker. I leave my brightness on above average.
    03-10-2013 08:28 PM