Gizmodo - 920 Is The BEST Cell Phone Camera!

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Z10 as second runner up after the IP5!

That's a bold statement. (maybe its not as bad as I thought)
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Dethzilla

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 920 Wins Best Camera on a smart phone from Gizmodo

The Best Smartphone Camera

Overall

• Winner - Nokia Lumia 920: Using only the automatic setting, it gets an accurate exposure and decent image in all shooting conditions. You can't beat it.
  • Second Place - iPhone 5 It's not the best at any one thing, but the iPhone 5 performs reasonably well in most settings, but the flash makes photos a total mess.
  • Third Place - BlackBerry Z10: The Z10's details are beautifully sharp, which is a refreshing reminder that smartphones don't always have to shoot the fuzzy, soft photos we're used to. Still, the camera underperforms in terms of overall image quality?especially in low-light?compared to the field.
  • Fourth Place - Galaxy SIII: Pretty impressive that the Galaxy S III's camera holds its own, despite being nearly a year old. '
  • Fifth Place - Nexus 4:. For being Google's flagship Android device, the Nexus 4 is incredibly disappointing. Its camera is terrible even under optimal conditions. You have to cut corners somewhere to hit a low price point, and Google obviously skimped on the camera.

But we already knew that! :)

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Says the Z10 underperforms, but still beats the other two,and I'd agree with that. Flash picture only one that was impressive. But it wasn't as terrible as some articles made it out to be.

Found it interesting that the HTC was so bad last time they didn't even bother with them. 8x users around here seem to think the camera is just fine.

nokialove

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 920 Wins Best Camera on a smart phone from Gizmodo

But you can't change the aperture! It's terrible! If you disagree you're a noob!

justinm001

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
My 920 is the only phone that takes amazing photos of paper and from computer monitors every time.

I copy a ton of serial numbers and its much easier to take a quick pic and type it up when back at office. no other phone comes out perfect everytime, usually blurry or its flash blinds some letters.

Also the 920 gets almost dslr quality photos. You get that pop like a dslr.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 920 Wins Best Camera on a smart phone from Gizmodo

two pretty decent smartphone cameraphones are missing from their test. The z10 is very similar to the iphone in terms of detail.. a bit more saturation, but overall, very close.

2nd place should of been the Nokia 620

Its a pretty good shooter..

Credit goes to sean72 .. very well composed.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I disagree.. I have a Nexus 4 and the camera isn't nearly as bad as they make it out to be.

I am yet to see a decent jpeg from the nexus 4.. but then again my perception of what that is most likely different from yours. We all see image quality in slightly different ways.. for example, a lot of people thought that the iPhone 4 had a great camera, I thought it was awful and I returned it..

Now, that being said, Gizmodo might be trying to make it worse than it is... I won't be surprised one bit. I am surprised they are still around actually..

Here is an example from the nex 4 ..

look at this.. mushy stuff.. eww .. lol :)

G82GZGG.jpg

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay. Knowing Gizmodo, I thought this would happen.

But, where oh where is the 808? The same camera was praised for its detail by Gizmodo (and Gizmodo even complained that Flickr ruined the quality of the 808's photos).
(That applies to this thread too.)

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

But, where oh where is the 808? The same camera was praised for its detail by Gizmodo (and Gizmodo even complained that Flickr ruined the quality of the 808's photos).

They mention the 808 in the article. They essentially said it was the best but because it runs symbian there was no point in including it because nobody wants a symbian phone.

aggie

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I won't dispute #1, or even #2, but including the Z10 and Nexus 4 and zero mention of the HTC One X or the Note 2 pretty much kills the credibility of this article. I loved my Nexus 4 and photosphere was pretty dang cool but the camera, just like the galaxy nexus was mediocre at best. Lumia 920 is by far my favorite camera, followed closely by the One X and Note 2/GS3.

ReverendDC

May 23, 2011
Visit site

Did you bother to read the article? In the first paragraph, the 808 is stated to be the best, but "...you're not going to buy a Symbian phone..."
HATREHATEHATE.....

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I really wish people would stop singling out the camera as the defining feature on cell phones. Sure it's nice to have, but they will never match a stand alone camera.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see the 920 named "best" in something, but it seems like almost every smart phone review comes down to the camera and let's face it...picture quality is very subjective based on who's viewing.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Sure it's nice to have, but they will never match a stand alone camera.

I will have to disagree.. my smartphone replaced my standalone camera 3 years ago, and I haven't looked back. I still have my DSLR for special occasions, but I sold all my compacts.

Here is the result, these are all shot with my phone/s .. no post processing of any kind.

https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

also, I took this yesterday.. look at the detail, and tell me that your point and shoot can do better :)

edit. only this one is post processed.. I made an HDR with exposure values of -1, 0, +1 and put them together on my PC later

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=424646B5863880EB!5019&authkey=!AN8rSlPULGAW9jA

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo