Can't receive iMessages

Kevin Russell

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
So, I purchased the 920 yesterday to replace a lost iPhone 5 and I now can't receive iMessages from iPhone users. I can send to them but can't receive back. No issue with non-iPhone users. AT&T support has informed me that this is an iMessage issue and just sends me to the Apple support folks.

Is there anyway to resolve this?

sstockss

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
have them delete your contact in their phone and re-add you. happened to every single one of my iphone friends when i switched.

Kevin Russell

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
No, I'm just sending a text to contacts (assume it's regular SMS) but when they reply they are replying with an iMessage and my number is still linked to iMessage. Working on testing sstocks solution...

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No, I'm just sending a text to contacts (assume it's regular SMS) but when they reply they are replying with an iMessage and my number is still linked to iMessage. Working on testing sstocks solution...

That's a bug with iMessage. You can't send/receive iMessages unless you have an iPhone or iPod. Apple doesn't allow it. You want to send them SMSs, and you want them to do the same (wait until the text field turns green for SMS, iMessage is blue).

This is an iMessage bug, not a WP thing.

The Apple Bug That Let Us Spy on a Total Stranger's iPhone

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It isn't a bug really...it is just in their contacts.

IIRC....I thought on iOS you had to mark wither each contact owned an iPhone or not, and if they had an iPhone it unlocked iMessage and FaceTime. They just need to remove the marker that says what type of iPhone you have and it should fix it. The suggestion of completely removing the contact does that same thing, just a more difficult process.

Kevin Russell

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok, this is maddening now. My brother deleted my contact on his iPhone and re-added me but I still can't receive a text from him. however, his wife just bought the new HTC Windows phone and is able to receive imessages. Would it have anything to do with the fact that online when logged into my AT&T account it still shows me as owning the iPhone. Customer Support said it take 24-48 hrs before that switches over. Not sure why that would have any impact though.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
This happens because iMessage is still activated for your number so when other iPhones text you it sends iMessages rather than text messages. Borrow someone's iPhone, stick your SIM in, then turn off iMessage.

Kevin Russell

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
This happens because iMessage is still activated for your number so when other iPhones text you it sends iMessages rather than text messages. Borrow someone's iPhone, stick your SIM in, then turn off iMessage.

That is a pain in the ass. I guess I can do that with my wife's iPhone but it's going to scare the crap out of her for me to do that. May have to go to AT&T store and let them do it so I don't get blamed if everything crashes.

Kevin Russell

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Wait...this is a brand new SIM card since my old SIM card is obviously still with my lost iPhone. Why would my new SIM card have me linked with iMessage?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Wait...this is a brand new SIM card since my old SIM card is obviously still with my lost iPhone. Why would my new SIM card have me linked with iMessage?

Well you still have the same number right? I think that's how it works, by number. The old SIM card should be inactive now if they gave you a new one.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
The problem is you "lost" you iphone 5. Unfortunately you needed to sign off imessage first with the iphone. I know it's not practical (since you lost the iphone). But it's common knowledge this is a severe problem with imessage.

I figured this out the hard way when I constantly was switching from iPhone to Galaxy S3 and Lumia 900 last year.

Like the other posters say. It will take some time. You can request all other users sign off imessage first and you send them a text and have them reply. But it's a pain in the butt.

Do you have an iPad? You will notice on iPad that their reply messages are being received by imessage servers. But you won't see them unless you sign in with another idevice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos