Screen won't wake up during call

l3urton32

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey,
Just wanted to see if anyone had these same issues - I have a 920 on AT&T running 8.0.10211.204 - I updated to Portico or whatever a few weeks ago, and this issue has started within the last week.

It seems like the light sensor to dim the screen when you put it to your face is acting all sorts of funky. During a call, exposure to light won't wake up the screen. I am in a fully lit room and the phone screen won't wake up. So, I hit the power button once, which technically turns the screen off, and than hit it again, which should turn the screen. The screen does flash on, but than immediately dims off as if something is blocking the light sensor on the top. I cleaned off the screen and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I can't seem to bring the screen back on. Eventually, after double pressing the power button several times, I can get the screen to stay on for a few seconds but if my hand, face, or anything get anywhere near the phone it's turning the screen off on it's own. I do have a lot of dust that got inside the front facing camera, I'm wondering if dust could block that sensor too?

TL;DR - Is anyone else having issues with the light sensor on the front of the phone and not being able to wake their 920 up during a phone call?

sk1d_mark

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a screen protector on ?

A mate at work had this issue, until he removed the protector, no problems since this.

l3urton32

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey Skid,

No, I don't have a screen protector on the phone....that's the weird part. There is nothing blocking or covering the top of the phone at all. And this issue didn't start immediately after the update, it only seemed to start happening within the last week or so. Could an individual app update cause this? I know I did have some Nokia specific updates for my device about a week ago, perhaps a Nokia update could cause this?

Axefield

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
You probably have dust under the screen glass on the proximity sensor. Try to blow into the gap between body and glass just above the N of NOKIA logo.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The update at the same time as this problem appearing is a coincidence. It is a fault with the 920s and a comon problem for a lot of people. Blowing or pressing on the opposite top corner from the sensor like some have reported is only a temporary fix. The problem will return.

I wrote to Nokia and they said the solution was to take it in for service for a permanent fix. They have a simple fix for it.

The problem however is that when you return with the phone for service, they aren't likely to send it to Nokia but rather to some gorillas they have deal with who fix all brands of phones. And they will not be able to fix it.

I sent mine in with a detailed description and after four days I got a new replacement phone. Such a silly waste. And of course now, after a few weeks, this one is acting up as well. So what to do? Change phones every month?

l3urton32

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

I tried blowing into that spot above the N and that didn't seem to work. I used an air wand off of my compressor and that seemed to do the trick. My screen will now turn on and stay on during a call. Hasn't relapsed yet if you will. I'll update this if it goes back but for now it seems to be working ok.

so, if you need to, take a high powered air hose to it and it seems to blow out most of the crap. Thanks for advice.

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

I tried blowing into that spot above the N and that didn't seem to work. I used an air wand off of my compressor and that seemed to do the trick. My screen will now turn on and stay on during a call. Hasn't relapsed yet if you will. I'll update this if it goes back but for now it seems to be working ok.

so, if you need to, take a high powered air hose to it and it seems to blow out most of the crap. Thanks for advice.

I can confirm this, you have to use a can of compressed air or stronger to clean the area out. Just blowing with your mouth doesn't work. Kinda odd, but it works.

-m

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Any kind of compressed air will blow dust away more efficiently than your mouth. I happen to have have a can of the brand Kenair which I use in photography. It works for a while.

But it doesn't change the fact that there is something wrong with the phone. It's a shame that this hasn't been adressed in the form of a service program of some kind for affected phones. Some sort of an admittance that it is a weakness in these phones. Instead the carriers have to cover the cost of service like each case was unique. The service bill for my phone was around $150 that my carrier had to cover. And then at the end they gave me a new phone instead.

The actual fix that they aren't told about may be something like inserting a little foam rubber piece or something to press the sensor up closer to the glass. Someone in another thread said something to that effect, but I don't remember exactly what. It was a simple physical little object at least. Not air.

yorkielovit

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes randomscandinavian annoying. Will have a go with the air and see how I go if not it can go back, just annoying now I have personlised it.

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs