Couple of problems from 920 newbie

Sutter Kain

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi I just got my Lumia 920 handset and so far I'm really impressed. But there's couple of things that really bothers me:

- my phone after 2 days has some micro-scratches seen mainly in direct ligt. I cleaned it with a cloth that I use for my LED TV and iPad 3. None of those have any scratches, but Lumia does. Is this the infamous oleofobic coating?

- the top of the unibody, near the sim slot and jack port crackles when being pressed on. Is this normal?

- when I record a video in an intdoor enviroment without many sounds, I get audio buzz in the backgrond. Heard it in clips filmed by Galaxy SIII. Again - is it normal?

Thanks for youre time and help. Really appreciate it!

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Your Lumia is perfectly healthy, don't worry.

Static noise when filming, or recording audio, is completely normal.

Don't press the top!

Sutter Kain

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
And the hair-thin scratches? I got the ipad 3 since it was released and the screen is in perfect condition. Lumia with guerilla glass 2 shows those damn things in direct light.

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
How often do you look at your phone in direct light? These scratches are not visible under normal conditions. If it makes it better, my phone has them too, and had them when I purchased it. If they are NOT momentarily blurring your own vision, don't make a big deal out of it. And guerilla [aka gorilla glass] is not scratch resistant or unbreakable, it's just more durable and can take a bit more hard use on its surface, compared to normal glass.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It's the oleophobic coating. Your glass is completely fine. That coating is meant to keep your screen hypersensitive by resisting oil from fingertips and face when you talk. It's generally that layer that is scratched, not the screen itself. GG2 is still going strong on your phone. The oleophobic layer is literally a coating so easy to scratch but if it wasn't that thin coating and was thick instead, it would defeat the point of hypersensitive screen!
iPad3 most likely doesn't come with this oleophobic coating, also throw your iPad3 on floor and then throw your Lumia 920, let us know which gorilla glass you prefer.

Sutter Kain

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Got it :)

It a shame that unibody of my Lumia crackles. I'v read reviews saying that the body is perfect and ultra solid.

Love the phone otherwise.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Unibody being plastic v/s metal in iProducts, you can notice the difference because most plastic, even the polycarbonate unibody reacts to heat, metal doesn't. However, the heat from phone isn't that huge to melt the plastic, it's good enough to notice, but that crackle on top is because of the camera. If you carefully observe the weight of your phone you will realize its magnetic heavy on top end than lower. It's because of the pureview camera on top that makes you feel that phone is little broader too. Nokia pureview does need that extra space, it used to be this bulky.
That crackle is because the space between top and bottom layer of phone is bigger on top (due to camera) than the bottom of phone. You can see this if you hold your phone and carefully stare at it. In normal conditions, no one notices it because it's beautifully deceptive thanks to the unibody design!

Sutter Kain

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot guys!

The thing with the body is the upper part of it, the space with sim and jack. I can feel it's loose against the top edge of the screen and crackles when being pressed/touched.

Sutter Kain

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
One more thing just to ease mi mind :)

The speaker is great, but it crackles a little bit one or two times during the playback of Nokia Ringtone Remix ( Volume 25-30). It's just a split second of little crackle. I know that yt videos can do that due to their varied quality.

Again I wonder is it normal after hearing how wonderful the speaker of 920 is.

Sorry for stupid questions, but in Poland Lumia 920 is a quite expensive device.

Sutter Kain

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Funny thing i only get this in one ringtone and while viewing some vids on the web, which is understandable. Other ringtones/sounds, music from Nokia Music play clear on max volume. Only a pinch of crackle in Nokia Ringtone Remix :)

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi I just got my Lumia 920 handset and so far I'm really impressed. But there's couple of things that really bothers me:

- my phone after 2 days has some micro-scratches seen mainly in direct ligt. I cleaned it with a cloth that I use for my LED TV and iPad 3. None of those have any scratches, but Lumia does. Is this the infamous oleofobic coating?

- the top of the unibody, near the sim slot and jack port crackles when being pressed on. Is this normal?

- when I record a video in an intdoor enviroment without many sounds, I get audio buzz in the backgrond. Heard it in clips filmed by Galaxy SIII. Again - is it normal?

Thanks for youre time and help. Really appreciate it!

Those are all normal

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo