Glad Nokia ISN'T announcing EOS

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else feel the same way as I do? Let me try to explain. First off, I really love my 920. Its definitely the best smartphone I have ever had in terms of features (wireless charging, ois, etc.), responsiveness, quality and looks (UI and phone itself...its a piece of art). Which leads me to think that Nokia put a lot if time and effort into designing and testing this phone before launch. Yes I have heard about all of the problems people have been experiencing fortunately for me I had none of those with my 920. But if Nokia starts to release high end smartphones every 6 months, I think their phones' quality is going to go down the drain (unless they stopped cutting positions and have hired more designers and engineers recently which I haven't heard be the case yet). Don't get me wrong I would love to see Nokia announce the EOS tomorrow at their event but I would just feel it would be half ass rushed like the Lumia 900. That's one phone I don't understand why they released it since wp8 was just around the corner. I could definitely see Nokia announcing the EOS for the holiday season or whenever windows phone blue update is set to be released.

What do you guys think?

paras chugh

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
why do u see the eos as a flagship when its more of a good camera rather than a good phone. people will mainly use it for a camera rather than a workplace phone to take with you everywhere coz of its formfactor like 808. this phone will be only targeted towards people who are serious about photography and happen to like wp

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
why do u see the eos as a flagship when its more of a good camera rather than a good phone. people will mainly use it for a camera rather than a workplace phone to take with you everywhere coz of its formfactor like 808. this phone will be only targeted towards people who are serious about photography and happen to like wp

Not quite, it also targets people who wants to totally replace their digital camera with the phone and currently that is where the market is headed towards. I can safely say that my 920 has replaced my digital camera for videos.

In any case I'm also glad that they're not going to be annoucing EOS at all, gives them more time to work on it and release it in the fall when all the other phones will be release.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The camera modules of the 920 and the EOS are the only parts into which a lot of unique engineering effort is invested. Everything else, accross the entire Lumia line, is essentially the exact same phone in a different package, each time re-imagined with the goal of lowering production costs. With so many similarities, launching another high end device, which will be nothing but a 920T with a different camera module, won't be particularly problematic.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
...I would just feel it would be half ass rushed like the Lumia 900. That's one phone I don't understand why they released it since wp8 was just around the corner. I could definitely see Nokia announcing the EOS for the holiday season or whenever windows phone blue update is set to be released.

In that case, the EOS would need to release no later than this summer. Releasing it just before Xmas would mean repeating the mistake of the 900, as by that time WP9 will be just around the corner.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Releasing it just before Xmas would mean repeating the mistake of the 900, as by that time WP9 will be just around the corner.

First of all, no one knows when WP9 will be released. Second of all, I don't think we need to worry about this anymore. The difference between the release of the 900 and the 920 was huge due to the change in the kernel. Subsequent updates to WP8 will still be based on the NT kernel hence support for older WP8 devices.

Nokia needs to release as many products as it can afford to and get Windows Phone out there. I for one would LOVE to see the EOS being released now rather than later and, unless Microsoft has any other kernel changes in mind, any future updates would be guaranteed.

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Not quite, it also targets people who wants to totally replace their digital camera with the phone and currently that is where the market is headed towards. I can safely say that my 920 has replaced my digital camera for videos.

In any case I'm also glad that they're not going to be annoucing EOS at all, gives them more time to work on it and release it in the fall when all the other phones will be release.

The reason why i see it as a flagship phone is because its requires high end hardware to view/playback the video you recorded w/o any lag, not sure about viewing pictures but probably the same. I remember that the 808 couldn't handle it with whatever specs it had. So it would only make sense if for it to be a flagship phone as well...unless they want people to hate their phones for not being able to view smooth playback which windows phones aren't known to be.

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
The camera modules of the 920 and the EOS are the only parts into which a lot of unique engineering effort is invested. Everything else, accross the entire Lumia line, is essentially the exact same phone in a different package, each time re-imagined with the goal of lowering production costs. With so many similarities, launching another high end device, which will be nothing but a 920T with a different camera module, won't be particularly problematic.

I tthink Nokia would also have to use a new CPU because the Qualcomm processor in the 920 can't support 41mp...only 20 or 21 I believe. And switching to a whole knew processor (if it isn't another Qualcomm that can support it) is night and day and would require a lot of testing to optimize its performance.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
^ you are wrong.

Oh yes! How foolish of me. I apologize because the evidence and sources you provided really proved me wrong.

I tthink Nokia would also have to use a new CPU because the Qualcomm processor in the 920 can't support 41mp...only 20 or 21 I believe. And switching to a whole knew processor (if it isn't another Qualcomm that can support it) is night and day and would require a lot of testing to optimize its performance.

Unless Microsoft gives them the ok to use a dedicated imaging chip then they can still use the current Qualcomm S4.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

1) The CPU isn't at all the problem. It's the DSP/ISP that is integrated into the SoC.

2) Nokia can't just switch to a different SoC, even if they wanted to. WP8 currently runs on nothing else but Snapdragon S4.

3) Other solutions exist, like including a custom ASIC to handle the signal processing for a 41mp camera. HTC did something similar for the 8x.

It's already been discussed here (edit: particularly the contributions made by vlad0)

Last edited:

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Oh yes! How foolish of me. I apologize because the evidence and sources you provided really proved me wrong.

Unless Microsoft gives them the ok to use a dedicated imaging chip then they can still use the current Qualcomm S4.

Calm down man, all you ssaid before was the iimage sensors would be different and everything else the same, where that is not the case. A5cent gave the best respond right above.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

;-) No need for sarcasm. Unfortunately I can't provide you with anything more. Just don't forget that your own claims about the kernel, WP8 and WP9 aren't backed up by any publicly available information either... none of it.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
;-) No need for sarcasm. Unfortunately I can't provide you with anything more. Just don't forget that your own claims about the kernel, WP8 and WP9 aren't backed up by any publicly available information either... none of it.

I agree... You're absolutely correct. I can't really back up my claim either. At least we can agree to disagree, my friend :)

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Actually it has retain the same design and engineering team. The quality issue is more of a transition in production line. And kinda disappointed if they don't announce anything big here, after all Europe is still their home base.

sanders2232

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
We shall see soon! Nokia could display something or give us information on it but I don't expect to see it till summer. I'm still enjoying my 920 :)

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Whatever soc they decide to use, it not only has to support the megapixel count, but also the overamalpling process which happens in real time, and it Is also particularly heavy during hd video recording .. The 808 is smashing trough one billion pixels every second during video .. Continuously . So.. They need to get a hold of enough processing power. If you do a little research on the 808 you will see that this exact issue is what took 5 years to bring the technology to market. Luckily Symbian can support the extra dsp without any issues
The reason why i see it as a flagship phone is because its requires high end hardware to view/playback the video you recorded w/o any lag, not sure about viewing pictures but probably the same. I remember that the 808 couldn't handle it with whatever specs it had. So it would only make sense if for it to be a flagship phone as well...unless they want people to hate their phones for not being able to view smooth playback which windows phones aren't known to be.
The 808 handles perfectly fine everything coming from the sensor.. Including zooming to 100% in the gallery app on a 38 megapixel image.

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I think my issue with announcing it is less about having a short product cycle, and more about not making sure they have the 920 perfected. We STILL see complaints about build quality and battery life, so I'd like to see them sort such things out before making their way towards the successor device, ESPECIALLY for those who are going to have these things for 2 years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb