Lumia 920 photo softness might be a screen rendering problem!

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Finally, thank you!!!!!
Pictures are now sharp and at 100 %
Really love it.
One bug report, i have copied folder with ten subfolders from PC to L920. Your app just showing the name of first folder and not showing subfolders? There are even three levels of subfolder sometime. I have about 3-5000 pictures in there. Should I leave for some time or is it other issue? I tried five minutes but nothing shows. I can't see pictures in subfolders.
Other than that, fantastic work, purchasing your app now!
Oh yes, one more thing, downloaded trial and can't buy from inside off app, have to uninstall and then buy.

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
If I may suggest one more thing, start browsing from last taken photo. For me who have many photos I have to scroll a lot to get to last taken photo which I want to see.

brucexli

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Finally, thank you!!!!!
Pictures are now sharp and at 100 %
Really love it.
One bug report, i have copied folder with ten subfolders from PC to L920. Your app just showing the name of first folder and not showing subfolders? There are even three levels of subfolder sometime. I have about 3-5000 pictures in there. Should I leave for some time or is it other issue? I tried five minutes but nothing shows. I can't see pictures in subfolders.
Other than that, fantastic work, purchasing your app now!
Oh yes, one more thing, downloaded trial and can't buy from inside off app, have to uninstall and then buy.

Thanks for the bug report. I did not expect one has sub folders in the camera roll and has that many files. I will sort this out this weekend. Sorry I don't have the time to do it during the week. Have a full-time job.

In the mean time, i suggest that you use the system picture hub to browse to the photo you want, then click the three dots and chose "edit" there you will find my app.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the great app :) I'll try it and probably buy as well :D I'll support whoever want to support my phone's OS and help it to overcome OS's weakness

brucexli

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this app!
Some question about it:
1-in store it says "it can also be loaded directly from the ?Edit? menu of the system picture viewer", You mean, is it possible to set it as default gallery after taking a picture?
2-suggestion for the future --> it would be nice to add double tap to full zoom in-out and a live tile based on camera roll
Thanks for your effort!

1. When you shoot a photo, swipe to the right to view it. From there, click the three dots and chose "edit" from the menu. You can see my app there and you can open that specific photo directly in my app. This way it is faster than going to the start to open my app and then browse to the photo you just took.

2. That's easy. Will include that in the next release.

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the bug report. I did not expect one has sub folders in the camera roll and has that many files. I will sort this out this weekend. Sorry I don't have the time to do it during the week. Have a full-time job.

In the mean time, i suggest that you use the system picture hub to browse to the photo you want, then click the three dots and chose "edit" there you will find my app.
Thank for your answer. Correct location of my folder with subfolders is Album, not camera roll. (Hope it is correct name, because Nokia translate names for europeian market)

Regarding using default picture hub browser to get to last photo and then three dot and your app, it works, but then I can not browse, I can only see one photo, then when I press back button (after zooming out) to go to next picture, I leave app, which is not that user friendly.
( btw my folder structure is taken from PC, which is: my documents, images, then folders with some subfolders)

brucexli

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Thank for your answer. Correct location of my folder with subfolders is Album, not camera roll. (Hope it is correct name, because Nokia translate names for europeian market)

Regarding using default picture hub browser to get to last photo and then three dot and your app, it works, but then I can not browse, I can only see one photo, then when I press back button (after zooming out) to go to next picture, I leave app, which is not that user friendly.
( btw my folder structure is taken from PC, which is: my documents, images, then folders with some subfolders)

Don't worry. I will sort this out.

Nicklas Kozlov

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Edit: Find my app HD Photo Viewer from the store.
or scan this QR code
View attachment 30336

I noticed that photos look sharper in some apps (such as ProShot) but once they are saved into the photo library they look blurry. Initially I though this is due to some quality loss when saving the photos to the picture library, but after copying the photos to computer they look sharp again. Please compare the following.

1. A screenshot (Win+Power) of a photo within the ProShot app.

2. The same photo but opened from the Picture hub, screenshot from the phont.

3. The same photo copied to a PC and cropped.

The above photo was taken using the ProShot app.

I also tested this with the phone's default camera app.

1. A screenshot of the photo opened from the picture hub

2. The same photo copied to PC and cropped.

Any one who has experienced the same could you please share?

1. Photo taken using the default camera app and cropped on a PC

2. The same photo when viewed in the photo library on the phone

Another interesting finding: when a photo is cropped on the phone to, say 50% of its original size, the photo becomes crisp. So it seems that the phone only allocate a certain amount of graphics memory to each photo when rendering it on the phone screen, which it exceeds that size, the phone drops the rendering quality.

Even DSLR photos are rendered as blurry on the phone!!
1. viewed on PC
2. rendered on Lumia 920

:winktongue:it may take sometime for MS or Nokia to 'fix' the problem. So I have made a simple app called "HD Photo Viewer". I have submitted it to the store and you should be able to find it in about a week.

View attachment 30098
View attachment 30099
Just a comparison between my app and the system picture hub. The forum might have applied some compression. For full sized images check my Skydrive.

Dude, holy ****! I've noticed this exact same problem! Pics taken in ProShot looks stunning, but once I open them in the photo library they aren't as near detailed as before. Great that someone else noticed this happening also! :) I'll definitely download your app!

chuba1

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks brucexli! I often deleted photos directly because I thought they were too blurry and did not check on a PC. The 920's camera seems to be quite good after all. Actually incredible that Nokia/MS did not notice that before!
BTW: Bought your app.

Onerunjunior

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
All my photos taken on my 920 and viewed on a PC look very bad compared to my old iPhone 4S. Everything is muddy looking as far as textures go, and the edges around objects are blurred and show horrible chromatic aberration. It's like my phone need glasses, they look awful.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
All my photos taken on my 920 and viewed on a PC look very bad compared to my old iPhone 4S. Everything is muddy looking as far as textures go, and the edges around objects are blurred and show horrible chromatic aberration. It's like my phone need glasses, they look awful.

How are you getting them to the PC?

Pics?

Yialun

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
The same for me here, I was always wondering why all my pictures looked so soft in pictures hub, I really thought it was the picture's quality, but now, after having installed HD viewer, I know the problem come from the pictures hub, and I can finally enjoy my picture's real quality on-the-go.

Thank you a lot.

But indeed, it seems very strange that this picture hub issue have never been found before.

Onerunjunior

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
How are you getting them to the PC?

Pics?

Straight from the phone, and from SkyDrive. Either way, they are unacceptably muddy and blurry. Quite surprised to be honest, the quality is really very subpar. Viewing photos from my iPhone 4S on my iPad compared to the ones taken on my 920 show a massive disparity between two similar cameras. Its not even a close contest, the 920 loses everywhere but low light.

ricbon

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I tried your app and its awesome!!! I wonder why the frack MS doesn't fix this ASAP, one again nokia brings the ball to the game only for MS to drop it!! will buy this app!!!

brucexli

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks brucexli! I often deleted photos directly because I thought they were too blurry and did not check on a PC. The 920's camera seems to be quite good after all. Actually incredible that Nokia/MS did not notice that before!
BTW: Bought your app.

Thank you very much! You will receive an update for the app next week if all goes well!

brucexli

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Seriously?! Most of the apps in that **** hole of an app store is useless. Why do I want another launcher to a mobile website? Microsoft, I hate you. I hate you so much it burns.

Seriously. Policy 2.1. Prohibited App due to Limited Functionality.
But eventually they passed it after I told them to do a proper comparison.

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    306.3 KB · Views: 6

brucexli

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I tried your app and its awesome!!! I wonder why the frack MS doesn't fix this ASAP, one again nokia brings the ball to the game only for MS to drop it!! will buy this app!!!
I contacted Nokia anfd they said it is an OS problem and directed me to Microsoft. The Microsoft guy told me to put this issue on user voice and wait for it to be discovered by their engineers. Since they haven't been able to lock the screen orientation yet, it may take them several years to solve this problem.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft says my app is useless and does not want to publish it. I will need to add some other really useless functions to make the app "useful"...don't worry, I promise I will get it into the marketplace.

Seriously?! Most of the apps in that **** hole of an app store is useless. Why do I want another launcher to a mobile website? Microsoft, I hate you. I hate you so much it burns.

drigerott

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Thx brucexli for your app...

2 months ago Dratwister started a topic about this issue/feature... but other the me no one else answered ihhihihi

thx you again.. and i hope you will improve this app.. (double tap zoom, start from last picture etc etc etc)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb