any fixes for 920 battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
That's what is happening to mine now. I shut them off in the background but my battery didn't last the day today. I love my phone but this is annoying. What now? This is my second phone,i still have the old one can I switch the batteries out? should I?

If you think that it is caused my HERE maps, then why you do not just uninstall it, at least for few days, you can always install it easily again ...

By the way, I have all HERE apps (4) and HERE Drive+ is also enabled for background task - all works well, no problem at all ... well, my WP8 battery monitor does not always work well - sometimes it shows drain, but after restart or soft reset the battery-% is higher ... anyway, I can do easily a full day, but not 2 full days ..

Andrew del Valle

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
So why does it work for you and not me? It seems like there are different issues from device to device. Battery life was fine and then the update and now bad. Shut them off in the background and still bad. So maybe its not hose but why all of a sudden? I've had to do two soft resets but I still wont give up. I also recommended my Wife to upgrade to a windows phone, I like it that much but I'd like to be able to use my phone for a day at least.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So why does it work for you and not me? It seems like there are different issues from device to device. Battery life was fine and then the update and now bad. Shut them off in the background and still bad. So maybe its not hose but why all of a sudden? I've had to do two soft resets but I still wont give up. I also recommended my Wife to upgrade to a windows phone, I like it that much but I'd like to be able to use my phone for a day at least.

I do not know that ... but in your case, as you believe that a probem is caused by HERE apps, I would just reinstall them - and I would check that all installed maps are updated ones too (settings - applications - maps - check for updates for all installed maps)

gordon cai

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
i'm down to my last 60% of battery after about 4hours with average usage for surfing net. so many people have said to reset the phone, i was those that did it before but not for the battery issue to reset. after reset the phone for bricked. i followed the setups to flash the phone back but, i'm worry if i'm to reset the phone it would brick my phone again. would that be possible? i have had a update for the phone installed but, i'm not sure what the update is. so if i was to reset would my phone be bricked again?

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I'm going to do. Dump this phone and OS in a drawer and go get a Note 2 or wait for SGS4. I'm hoping wp8 is like fine wine, just needs to age a bit. I'll revisit it in a couple of years and see how it is them.

So you are considering dumping a device by a manufacturer that provides regular updates and awesome software releases continually (ie supports their product) for a company that is known for not supporting their products once sold (Samsung) and for a device of theirs that isn't even released?
Brilliant move Sherlock....brilliant move....

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
So you are considering dumping a device by a manufacturer that provides regular updates and awesome software releases continually (ie supports their product) for a company that is known for not supporting their products once sold (Samsung) and for a device of theirs that isn't even released?
Brilliant move Sherlock....brilliant move....

You know, I have a 2 yr old Razr Maxx I use for work running latest and greatest version of Android 4.1. And Samsung flagship phones get the updates in a timely matter. Maybe not day of release like Nexus devices. I have the latest, greatest Portico on my 920 and its still one to two years behind what my two year old Android will do with its updates that you think it doesn't get. So, what exactly will I be missing Watson? Android will always be two steps ahead of WP even if Samsung phones don't get an update.

Another funny thing. I was over on Android Central today and the first post I found on a SGNote 2 was a battery life post. They weren't complaining, they were praising the battery life. I'm sorry but wp8 and 920 bring far less to the table than Apple and Android had two years ago. Hardware and software.

BAMtech11

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
One thing I've noticed is that if I allow my 920 to charge completely until the light turns off on my qi charger (sometimes it'll display full but the light is still on) it will actually last much longer. It doesn't hold a partial charge very well though.

trvsglr_86

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
My battery was terrible when I first got my 920, I was very upset because my iPhone 5 battery would last a day and this wouldn't. Ever since I shut off LTE (since I do not have it in my area yet) and just keep it on 3G only switching wifi on when I need it, my battery will last me almost 2 days. That is with facebook and emails and browsing for new apps and stuff. I can't beleive how long this things lasts me especially with all the live tiles and everything, I love it! I'm reading on here though to let your battery drain once in a while, How often should I do this?

Markpab

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Surely a CPU monitor would be a great app for WP8? Had one on my old Desire in the status bar, just a little bar graph- when idling would show approx 10% use, when browsing or using Maps would show 90-100% usage. Wouldn't tell you which app was misbehaving, but at least you would know that something was wrong. Happened a few times to me, usually uninstalled a certain app or did a soft reset. My unlocked Titan thankfully doesn't seem to have any problems like this.

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting for a battery monitor app that actually monitors the usage by an app or process. I guess based on available API's its really hard to code one... but hoping it would come. My doubts are all on WP8 that is hideously running some rogue battery draining processes in the background. I wish MS gives a Ctrl+Alt+Del equivalent to see the background processes..

Amit Arora1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm waiting for a battery monitor app that actually monitors the usage by an app or process. I guess based on available API's its really hard to code one... but hoping it would come. My doubts are all on WP8 that is hideously running some rogue battery draining processes in the background. I wish MS gives a Ctrl+Alt+Del equivalent to see the background processes..

I have done whatever has been told on this forum to improve battery life, removed programs which are accused of being main culprit, soft reset and switching off nfc,location background tasks but nothing seems to help. Now i don't have any tiles acting as active tiles,all are static,reducing the fun of use on this device and battery seems to be ok while you don't use it but as soon as you start using it ,it starts scaring you.. i have seen, before starting to use this device battery showed 3days and 7 hours of time remaining but using browser for 30 mins drained it to critical level and less than 1 hour left .. and it switched off of its own in another 10 minutes. so really don't know how to work around it and make it last longer while actually using it. I really love the device built and wp8 concepts but to actually get in love with all this it needs to work in fashion they claim it to . i have tried contacting nokia and ms but no reply from anyone.

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Amit, I guess you have a serious battery issue and take it to Nokia care... If I use browser I lose about 4-5% at around 20-30 minutes usage on wifi. If you are draining within half an hour you have some hardware issues with the phone I guess...

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Amit, I guess you have a serious battery issue and take it to Nokia care... If I use browser I lose about 4-5% at around 20-30 minutes usage on wifi. If you are draining within half an hour you have some hardware issues with the phone I guess...

Yep, amit, yours sounds reaaaly bad and i'd defs seek out a replacement. BUT! How long have you had it? Give it a month at least (i know its a while, but if you phone has no other issues i'd hold onto it).
Lazysundays battery seems ridiculously good. I max out at about 10h every day (which seems to be fairly normal on these and other forums) and that is with moderate usage, probs 1-2h of internet usage. Turning off 4g or all data completely makes no difference at all.

Edit: I've owned mine since release date (3 months) and have factory reset, flashed different firmwares, numerous resets ect.

Andrew del Valle

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, overnight my battery only went down 3% so the battery seems to be lasting longer. But now I just had to do a soft reset when it wouldn't respond. This is the third time in two weeks I needed to do this.

Mark3dyn

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I am getting some odd results, but I haven't really spent much time figuring out what is bad or good. Yesterday it was draining fast, probably 45% down from the morning until lunch, the draining at a rate of 5% per 15 minutes just sitting idle. I did a soft reset (just learned about that above somewhere), then used the options shown in the CNET video, yesterday afternoon. Immediately it slowed down to the point I still had 35% left at the time I put it on the charger, maybe 11 PM. So, dropped maybe 55% in the first 6 hours of the day, then only 10-20% the final 10 hours of the day. After picking up the phone this morning, with a few calls and a fair number of emails, plus running gMaps for 20 minutes in the car with the screen on and no charger, it's now 11:30 in CA, I have had the phone off the charger for 5 hours and it's still at 93%. (I would like the % number to display next to the battery icon in the next release.)

I have noticed, when I use Nokia Maps (display always on) in the car, even with the charger connected, it drains the battery like an open spigot. I am not happy about that. At least with my iPhone I could run MotionX Drive with a charger and still have it charge up. I just bought a 900 mA USB charger, but it doesn't seem to be any different than the 300 mA USB charger I started with. I have one other option to try, but I doubt it will be any better.

Amit Arora1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Yep, amit, yours sounds reaaaly bad and i'd defs seek out a replacement. BUT! How long have you had it? Give it a month at least (i know its a while, but if you phone has no other issues i'd hold onto it).
Lazysundays battery seems ridiculously good. I max out at about 10h every day (which seems to be fairly normal on these and other forums) and that is with moderate usage, probs 1-2h of internet usage. Turning off 4g or all data completely makes no difference at all.

Edit: I've owned mine since release date (3 months) and have factory reset, flashed different firmwares, numerous resets ect.

Man you and lazysunday makes me believe that i got a dud....
i have contacted nokia and awaiting there reply on it. I have been using it now for 10 days.. but somehow it never holds up the charge. And i don;t see any reason for it to improve if it hasn't improved a little in last 10 days. Update about today... i disconnected from wall charger at 08:15 with 100% charge. checked overnight whatsapp messages(3) emails(5) and sms(2) . at 08:45 played car racing game for 15 minutes,read a internet page for 10 minutes and by this time 09:20 battery was down to 72% . at 10:30 no additional use other than sending one message on whatsapp it was down to 61% .I put it back to charging and at 12:15 it only charged to 71% :( . It takes **** lot more time to charge than actually getting discharged. Now it is 14:05 and it is again down to 59% ,i have only made a single call for about 20 minutes.
:( :( :( :(

bigbosseby

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, when i bought my lumia 920, the battery used to last more than 24 hrs, but then all of a sudden it started this issue of fast draining. All i did was a factory reset. The one which deletes everything and then i had to reinstall all the apps. Now the battery is working perfectly, gives me 24hr + with bluetooth on, wifi on and nfc on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo