Orange - 160 sms limit - can you set on 920??

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Just been informed by orange that once the sms goes over 160 characters it becomes a mm message and is chargeable. My htc and samsung both had a little note at the bottom of the text that notified me if I was converting to mm message. How can I set a limit/notification within text on the 920? Thanks in advance.

(also, although I set up a dd when phone contract was purchased, orange expect you to know that you need to pay the first payment to them, as the dd doesn't set up in time. Not happy with the way Orange operate!! The charges were refunded but my account was showing as non payment. Luckily I tried to log into my account as this was blocked because of non payment.)

EDIT Just spoken to the UK call centre for Orange - the girl clarified that it is 3 text messages you get before it converts to mms, but there is no notification. Still, that isn't much, but now I know to keep an eye on the little counter. And I do have the counter - as another poster said, only when you have a contact selected!!

Last edited:

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
A little counter shows underneath the text field when you reach 130 characters. It does rely on you having already entered a contact name in the To field so that it knows you're writing an SMS (as opposed to a FB message for example).

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
As you type, and I believe after you type 130 chars, you will start to see the character count under your message and then you will have to manually send it and start a new SMS. There are no settings to limit that.

But that's strange that Orange does that. I'm on AT&T in the U.S. and I never had an SMS over 160 chars be converted to a MMS. It always split the message into 2 or 3 SMS and sent out each individually instead of converting it to MMS.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
But that's strange that Orange does that. I'm on AT&T in the U.S. and I never had an SMS over 160 chars be converted to a MMS. It always split the message into 2 or 3 SMS and sent out each individually instead of converting it to MMS.

I think this may be dependent on the carrier if they send multiple messages or convert to MMS.

Once I go over 160 characters the character count changes to "2 messages, 164/306". I wonder if it displays a different message if a carrier converts it to MMS?

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I've just noticed that there is a counter on the text message (oops - I tested it in a text with no contact before I posted here) - however it doesn't notify you that it's converting to MMS. When I was with Vodafone the notification happened.

Just spoken to the UK call centre for Orange - the girl clarified that it is 3 text messages you get before it converts to mms, but there is no notification. Still, that isn't much, but now I know to keep an eye on the little counter.

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Orange and I've not heard this. I'm sure a change like that would allow a contract cancel?

Just updated - the original call centre (India) told me 160 characters, basically 1 text message long. I spoke to the UK customer call centre and they clarified it is in fact 3 text messages before the MMS conversion happens and a 30p additional charge - still too short imo but at least I know. Sorry for any confusion, wrong info from the original Orange customer services adviser.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion