Screen (and Body) Protector Recommendation

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

So I'm planning on investing in a screen protector and maybe a body protector after getting microscratches on the glossy red body and a couple scratches on the screen (most likely the oleophobic layer). This is going to go on a replacement I'm getting soon.

I've read some of the other threads but they don't seem to be of much help. People give recommendations without saying why they like the product, why it's good, or why it fits the OP's needs.

What I'm looking for in a screen protector:
  1. Dry apply.
  2. Non-rubbery texture (not a Zagg-type screen protector), no orange peel look.
  3. Doesn't degrade screen quality.
  4. Edges don't peel up because of the curved edges of the glass.

What I'm looking for in a body protector:
  1. Dry apply.
  2. I don't really mind if it's a little rubbery here, since it'll provide some grip, but no orange peel, and hopefully something that doesn't attract too many fingerprints.
  3. Not sure if this is possible, but something that works with a case (Case-Mate Naked), and especially my ProClip (custom car mount). Otherwise I'll have to skip the body protector.

There are four products I've been considering, I was wondering if anyone used them and could tell me if they meet my requirements.

1. Martin Fields
    Martin Fields Overlay Plus Screen Protector (Nokia Lumia 920)
  2. Bodyguardz
    Nokia Lumia 920 Screen Protectors and Clear Skins by BodyGuardz
  3. Wrapsol
    Lumia 920 | wrapsol.com
  4. Those generic plastic screen protectors on eBay sold in packs of 3-6.

Like the Martin Fields and the eBay screen protectors I kind of know what to expect. But the Bodyguardz and the Wrapsol I was wondering where they rate on the smoothness scale. Where the scale would look kind of like this.

<Glass----High Quality Plastic----Cheaper Plastic-------------Rubbery>

Are there any other screen or body protectors I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Screen Protector Recommendation

This is the one I bought: Amazon.com: Skinomi TechSkin - Nokia Lumia 920 Screen Protector Ultra Clear Shield + Lifetime Warranty: Cell Phones & Accessories

I kind of bought it blindly because it has some great reviews. I did consider the bodyguradz for a little bit but changed my mind. It should arrive today. I will let you know how it goes.

EDIT: Obviously I was not paying attention. I wanted dry application as well and bought this one without reading too well and now that I read more into it it looks like it requires some of that gel or solution or whatever it is. Sadness. :( (Feeling extremely dumb right now).

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

This is the one I bought: Amazon.com: Skinomi TechSkin - Nokia Lumia 920 Screen Protector Ultra Clear Shield + Lifetime Warranty: Cell Phones & Accessories

I kind of bought it blindly because it has some great reviews. I did consider the bodyguradz for a little bit but changed my mind. It should arrive today. I will let you know how it goes.

EDIT: Obviously I was not paying attention. I wanted dry application as well and bought this one without reading too well and now that I read more into it it looks like it requires some of that gel or solution or whatever it is. Sadness. :( (Feeling extremely dumb right now).

Yeah I just realized that too. I was going to say look forward to hearing your thoughts, but I guess not since it's wet apply. Are you going to return it?

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I just realized that too. I was going to say look forward to hearing your thoughts, but I guess not since it's wet apply. Are you going to return it?

Hahaha I am not even sure at this point. Since I am paranoid about scratches I have not removed the sticker that comes with the phone and it has a message: "TXTNG & DRIVNG ... IT CAN WAIT". I was really looking forward to get rid of that. I don't know if I can make it that much further without seeing my screen clearly. If I return and end up getting something dry before you do I will let you know for sure though.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

Just curious, why do you not want to use a wet apply?

I had my 920 done with Ghost Armor and it is awesome. I have a dry on with my ipod touch that I purchased from Apple and the one from Ghost Armor is a thousand times better.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I had my 920 done with Ghost Armor and it is awesome. I have a dry on with my ipod touch that I purchased from Apple and the one from Ghost Armor is a thousand times better.

I don't know about alpinestars1z but in my case is that bringing liquids close to my phone goes so much against every fiber of my being (in other words goes against everything I've been always told)... And then I see those videos where they squeeze the excess liquid towards the sides and I shudder. I know those installation go on with no incidents but I'm still reluctant. (And then on the L920 where you can't remove the battery :|).

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

I don't know about alpinestars1z but in my case is that bringing liquids close to my phone goes so much against every fiber of my being (in other words goes against everything I've been always told)... And then I see those videos where they squeeze the excess liquid towards the sides and I shudder. I know those installation go on with no incidents but I'm still reluctant. (And then on the L920 where you can't remove the battery :|).

I can understand that, and can see your point. I saw the guy install for numerous devices including mine. They use so little liquid I felt fine. It was a one squirt mist.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I do have to say that after installation it does look really nice. I might give it a go. If it were up to me I would hire a surgeon to do it, hehe. :p

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Do you know what brand the dry one was?

Well I've never really liked the rubbery kinds, and I've had good luck with the dry applies.. Usually the wet apply types are made of this rubbery material and sometimes have this orange peel look. I think Ghost Armor was one of those that didn't have that orange peel look, but I'm still not sure about the feel. I'm trying to get something that feels similar to glass, and usually those Zagg-type screen protectors don't feel anything like glass. Your finger kind of drags along the surface.

I've tried the dry apply plastic-type screen protectors like ones from Power Support or from Acase (cheap eBay brand I think) and have had good luck with those. They're harder to install, but I felt like the results were worth it. I can't remember what brand this was, but there was one where I was able to put it on perfectly, and no one noticed that I had a screen protector until I pointed it out. The screen protector was pretty thin, and the fit and all the cutouts were exact, where other brands would maybe make it a millimeter short so that there was room for error during installation.

I also am under the impression that it may degrade screen quality somewhat (some say it does, some say it doesn't, depends on the brand I guess), while the plastic ones generally don't unless you get the matte version.

I dislike the usual haziness for the first 24 hours or so, I don't like having to wait for it to "cure." I've never really had any real problems with wet installation, but there was this one time where I had to go to the Apple Store to get an iPhone replaced, and the Genius didn't do it immediately because he said the liquid damage indicator/sticker was red. I was trying to think what could cause that, and the only thing I could think of was a Zagg that I had previously put on, but took off before going to the Apple Store, expecting to receive an exchange. So I had to wait about ten or fifteen minutes while the Genius went into the back to check whether there was actually any internal water damage before he would give me a replacement.

So yeah, I prefer to avoid wet installs, if possible. If I were to use a wet install type screen protector, I'd rather have someone else install it.

If I may ask, what makes the Ghost Armor better than the dry screen protector on your iPod Touch?

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Hahaha damn, the protector is here but after reading your post I want to install it even less.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I had the guy at the mall install the ghost armor for me, so I didn't have to do it. My wife does not have a screen protector on, and comparing the two phones you can't tell unless you look for it. I always did dry before, this is my first wet protector. This one seems to be holding up much better. My dry ones would get scratches and I would have to replace them. I am pretty particular and I don't even notice that have a screen protector on. Has a lifetime warranty. I really like it.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Hahaha damn, the protector is here but after reading your post I want to install it even less.

Lol, sorry. Without putting it on though, what's the texture like? Smooth? Rubbery? Is it thick, thin?

I had the guy at the mall install the ghost armor for me, so I didn't have to do it. My wife does not have a screen protector on, and comparing the two phones you can't tell unless you look for it. I always did dry before, this is my first wet protector. This one seems to be holding up much better. My dry ones would get scratches and I would have to replace them. I am pretty particular and I don't even notice that have a screen protector on. Has a lifetime warranty. I really like it.

Did you only get the screen protector? How much did it cost you? How much of the screen does it cover?

Yes, the plastic dry apply screen protectors do scratch easily, being softer than glass. That's probably the only thing I didn't like about it. I felt like it was a small price to pay because of it's other advantages.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

OK... I bit the bullet with the skinomi... Looks really nice and I left no bubbles... I am paranoid with that liquid. Will turn it back on tomorrow night per the instructions and see how it looks like. I will comment more on the texture tomorrow.

I do see some spots on the protector that have a somewhat different coloration, like smudges... I don't know if that is part of a wet installation and just have to wait it out a couple of days as I see mentioned in a few places or if I screwed up since I felt I let it go dry too soon. Worst comes to worst I'll buy a dry one and change it.

At least now I don't have that don't text and drive sticker anymore. The screen looked so gorgeous when I removed it.

Last edited:

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Leaving it off for 30 minutes or so is all you really need. For the next day don't place anything tight on the screen, or put it in a tight pocket. The different color look will go away in a day. Don't freak out and pull it off. 😊
Give it a few days and see what you think.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Thanks everyone for your help and my apologies to alpinestars1z for kind of hijacking your thread.

https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror (smudges aren't visible because of the angle not because they already disappeared
grin3.gif
).

Last edited:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

OK... So phone is back ON... And I am finally able to see my screen in action. Wow that thing is a beauty!

Now bare with me because I didn't feel the screen without a protector so I don't know how accurate I can be with the 'feeling' test... I feel it may be a little tiny bit rubbery, but so minimal I have to really look for the feeling to be aware of it, if that makes sense. And only when I place my finger in certain angles (for instance when I touch the screen with part of the nail and part of the finger at the same time).

Also, tried the screen with a big winter sock on my hand and the screen was perfectly responsive.

Hehehe, yeah, that is my good old super basic multimeter. When I got it I thought It wasn't going to last 6 months and there it is 6 years later still working perfectly.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo