Hello World!

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
hi guys. i'm just writing this thread because currently i own a bb 9900 but ordered a lumia 920 a few days ago (USPS says should arrive today). i have a few concerns though. i've been a blackberry faithful for god knows how long (my first bb was the 9700). i LOVE the keyboard and i was wondering if anyone owned a keyboard phone and how long it took to adjust to the touch screen. i should probably also mention i owned the iphone 3 when it first came out in canada (oh god, ages ago. 2007 or 2008 was it?) and i was faster typing on it than an actual keyboard haha. another area of concern is the os change. personally i had no problem with bb os7. i guess the real reason is i'm anxious to get my 920 and can't wait to see how those issues solve them selves out when i get it. i love microsoft and i think they did a splendid job. now if there is only an integrated message hub. bye bye blackberry. oh one last thing. i keep reading about music, wifi and batter. are those localized issues (meaning a few people have them) or is it wide spread?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You should adjust to the virtual keyboard in no time, especially the keyboard on the 920. Because it has predictive text, you'll be typing less anyway. It also has a great voice recognition environment for those times you find you can't spell something. Welcome aboard. The 920 is really fluid and smooth. You'll like it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to WPCentral and Windows Phone. :smile:

I'm an ex-BlackBerry user too. I was using a 9700 prior to the Nokia Lumia 900. I'd say it probably only took me about a week until I was able to type faster on the Windows Phone virtual keyboard than I did on the BlackBerry. It really learns your words quickly, and the predictive text is great. I've never typed anything that was worthy of Damn You Autocorrect, which has been a good thing.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
You should adjust to the virtual keyboard in no time, especially the keyboard on the 920. Because it has predictive text, you'll be typing less anyway. It also has a great voice recognition environment for those times you find you can't spell something. Welcome aboard. The 920 is really fluid and smooth. You'll like it.

i truly hope so. i love MS and im just waiting. it left usps @ 9:15 yet still havent been delivered. talk about slow haha. i literally check my mail box and outside the building every 15 min haha.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
The keyboard on the WP8 software is on par with the iPhone, having owned every iteration of the iPhone since they had been released. There is an awesome showing of the keyboard software in action. Microsoft shows off its Windows Phone 8 keyboard technology - SlashGear

i've seen this video before. it honestly looks awsome. how do you like the keyboard? i'm just waiting for USPS to put it in my mail box. im so excited. thanks for the info though. highly appreciated.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to WPCentral and Windows Phone. :smile:

I'm an ex-BlackBerry user too. I was using a 9700 prior to the Nokia Lumia 900. I'd say it probably only took me about a week until I was able to type faster on the Windows Phone virtual keyboard than I did on the BlackBerry. It really learns your words quickly, and the predictive text is great. I've never typed anything that was worthy of Damn You Autocorrect, which has been a good thing.

hi, thanks for the warm welcome :). i'm glad you find the keyboard better than the 9700 but to be honest the 9900 is better keyboard just because its 24% bigger than the 9700/97800. that is a good thing I'm glad autocorrect is awesome. just waiting for USPS to freaking GIVE IT TO ME.:D

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
hi, thanks for the warm welcome :). i'm glad you find the keyboard better than the 9700 but to be honest the 9900 is better keyboard just because its 24% bigger than the 9700/97800. that is a good thing I'm glad autocorrect is awesome. just waiting for USPS to freaking GIVE IT TO ME.:D
I used a 9000 before the 9700, so I have used a bigger physical keyboard. I passed on the 9900 due to limitations of BBOS (mainly the reboots needed due to the spinning black clock of death).

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I used a 9000 before the 9700, so I have used a bigger physical keyboard. I passed on the 9900 due to limitations of BBOS (mainly the reboots needed due to the spinning black clock of death).

ya the 9000 had the same size as the 9900. well its good to know that i can adapt. i've had it for 4 days now and getting pretty good at it. quick question though. does your screen have a gap between the screen and the unibody? on mine i can fit an edge of a piece of paper in between the screen and the body.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
hi and welcome! my lumia 920 has what looks like a separate piece between the screen and the body itself. like a rolled edge of the screen. but at no point is there a gap of any size.... yours has a gap?

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
hi and welcome! my lumia 920 has what looks like a separate piece between the screen and the body itself. like a rolled edge of the screen. but at no point is there a gap of any size.... yours has a gap?

hi, thanks for the warm welcomes. i see the other piece but ya there is a noticeable space between the black ring around the screen and the body too. i mean like you literally can fit the edge of a piece of paper in there. yours doesn't have it?

Aditya Phulwani

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I use a blackberry and the 920. I type like a machine on the BB. Super fast, can even type with my eyes shut. obviously you're not gonna be able to type as fast on a virtual keyboard as compared to a real keyboard.
But nevertheless the 920's keyboard is quite good. Shouldnt be a problem. As good as the iOS keyboard if not better.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I went through a transition phase... I came from a 8520, to a 9800, to a Desire Z (HTC Android keyboard device), to a TITAN (oversized WP7 HTC), and finally to the 920. You do get used to the keyboard OK, and it is really nice. My only problem is I keep make typing errors on the bottom row of keys on the virtual keyboard...

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I use a blackberry and the 920. I type like a machine on the BB. Super fast, can even type with my eyes shut. obviously you're not gonna be able to type as fast on a virtual keyboard as compared to a real keyboard.
But nevertheless the 920's keyboard is quite good. Shouldnt be a problem. As good as the iOS keyboard if not better.

ya i'm getting a lot better at it. i don't necessarily agree with the on screen vs physical battle. a while back before i owned my 9900 and had the iphone 3 i was faster on that than anything else that i've ever typed on. i can see my self beating that with the lumia 920 though :). sadly she has to go in for repair :(.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I went through a transition phase... I came from a 8520, to a 9800, to a Desire Z (HTC Android keyboard device), to a TITAN (oversized WP7 HTC), and finally to the 920. You do get used to the keyboard OK, and it is really nice. My only problem is I keep make typing errors on the bottom row of keys on the virtual keyboard...

hahaha that would probably be a smarter idea then just jumping to the 920 right? oh well i was a die hard bb fan but they really let me down. i'm loving the 920 keyboard. just sucks that there is a screen gap ugh:mad:.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WP. I went from a 8900 to a 9800 to the 9810, and then got my 920 in November. The only thing I miss from BB is the notification light. I have to pick up my phone to see if I have a message.

Other than that, the battery problems seem to be minimized with the latest phones, as have the rest of the issues. There is a little adjustment period, but if you can open your mind to the new workflow of the WP OS, it will be much faster. The keyboard is great - light years ahead of the onscreen KB on the BB, in my opinion.

Enjoy your new phone!

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WP. I went from a 8900 to a 9800 to the 9810, and then got my 920 in November. The only thing I miss from BB is the notification light. I have to pick up my phone to see if I have a message.

Other than that, the battery problems seem to be minimized with the latest phones, as have the rest of the issues. There is a little adjustment period, but if you can open your mind to the new workflow of the WP OS, it will be much faster. The keyboard is great - light years ahead of the onscreen KB on the BB, in my opinion.

Enjoy your new phone!

ya the keyboard is awesome i think its amazing. i completely agree with you for the LED light, god i miss it. everything has its vices though right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss