The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-11-2013 04:28 PM
78 1234
tools
    Yes.

But I do have a couple of caveats. The first is that I have a HTC HD7. So I am not on WP 8, but rather was on 7.5 and then cab updated to 7.8. I expect that WP 8 works about the same as WP 7, even though they are on a different kernel. I do realize that's quite an assumption. Second caveat is that I have never used an Apple product and do not intend to.

However I have used two Android phones and I MUCH PREFER WP OVER ANDROID. My first Android phone, a Samsung from Virgin Mobile drove me crazy with glitches and reboots with strange behavior. My second Android phone, a Motorola also on Virgin, was more stable which was nice. However in comparison I have only once had an issue with my WP 7.5 and I expect that was because I used too much fluid putting on a screen protector. My experience is that WP is much more stable and fluid than Android.

I find that I also enjoy using programs like Lights Out and the MS Server program to wake my server. So given I have sufficient service I can wake my server and stream any album I own via WMA lossless. I do miss a couple of programs that Android has like Redbox and a version of BestBuy that you can actually buy products with.

Overall, even though my hardware is a couple of years old, and I do not have the most recent version of WP, I work my girlfriend's nerve by saying how much I love my phone, verses wanting to chuck my Android phones into a ditch....

That's my experience. I will most certainly be getting a WP8 device at some point.
    03-03-2013 01:32 AM
    OP, wait for newer hardware, and a more stable software built... right now you are going to be compromising on both fronts.

I would wait for the Lumia with monster camera from PureView 808.
    That is looking like Oct-Nov release..best case scenario. They are saying that it will be better than the 808.. lets hope that they keep the xenon/led combo flash.

2.) Gapless playback? I find it kinda silly
    The tracks on some albums are meant to blend in together.. the little skip in between ruins the listening experience.

The Lumia 920's got the BEST camera on a smartphone (outside of the 808 PureView)
    I still think that the Nokia N8 offers a better overall camera package.. but its very close.. Xenon vs. OIS , stereo sound vs. HAAC mics... but the N8 does produce better quality and it has better optics, and.. a bigger sensor.

Also, google maps is better than here/nokia for the USofA ... they have better indexing, I use both on a daily basis.

Sorry, but "mature" and "Windows phone" do not belong in the same sentence!
    .. well that is sort of relative, but yes, technically iOS is up to 6.0 and Windows Phone 8 is at 1.0 despite the "8" in the name. The kernel change was way to substantial..
    03-03-2013 01:39 AM
    1.) Yeah, I know you press and hold the FF or RW buttons, but I like being able to touch directly on a progress bar to skip to that location. Still a minor gripe being that I don't anticipate listening to music on my phone.

2.) I find it odd that you feel that way. I've seen so many blurry/fuzzy photos taken from the 920 before AND after Portico... and my S3 photos are always crisp. In the well lit photo comparisons I saw, it seemed that the S3 had the edge in terms of detail/sharpness. Yeah the Nokia 920 smashes the S3 in low light, but I recon the majority of my photos will be taken in well lit areas. I want a point and shoot camera as opposed to one that requires settings adjustment.

3.) There seems to be some big nagging inconsistencies with this platform ..... The 920 Camera and the reboots. Some people seem to have reboot issues while others I know haven't had one.... Isn't that highly unusual being that everyone is using the same hardware on the same OS? I would hate to pay full price for a phone either in store or online and being stuck with a device that reboots.

4.) Does your 920 get real hot?

5.) Is the battery good or bad?

6.) Yah, I was considering waiting for the next gen of WP8 like The Nokia Catwalk, EOS, or Laser. I guess there might be some announcements in late March/April...

Also curious about the Windows Surface phone... I guess my main concern with WP8 are the reboots. That's just horrible...

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I guess I'm still on the fence about this one.

But yeah another thing I like about WP8 is the design of the 920 and heck even the 8x. I don't mind the thickness/heavy feeling of the 920. I like that I can get more color options too, so that's another thing that brought me to WP8. I think the 920 = good build quality.
    1. I think that's a bit of an unreasonable request on a smartphone. The progress bar on a 4.5" display is TINY, so there would be NO precision.

2. The way I see it, I don't have super-high standards. However, look at it like this: There might be a BIT of fuzziness in normal lighting on the 920. The S III's low-light photos are unusable. I'd rather having 90% photo quality in the daylight than 5% photo quality in low-light conditions.

3. I am guessing specific apps or functions cause the problem (I think Bluetooth was a suspected culprit at one point, but I don't recall for sure).

4. It gets warm, but I don't think it gets any warmer than the HTC Droid Incredible that I had before. The only time it REALLY got hot as opposed to a bit warm) is while using the app MPATool, which is used for attaching artist images to your music library, so the lockscreen can display those images while playing music.

5. It's definitely a step down from a Galaxy S III, but its overall quality is highly-dependent on what you do with the device. I could probably get it to make it 2+ days with my general usage habits (little bit of browsing and gaming, but a decent bit of music in the car and at school), but if you do any heavy usage, it'll be disappointing. For the most part, my battery is rated in the 25-30 hour department, but as I was using it a lot today at a relative's, it dropped to about 18 hours. Realistically, you will make it through a day unless you are gone for a whole day listening to music without a charger or something. For me, today was the first time I made it home with my battery under 74 percent.

6. Probably for the best.

Again, I'm guessing some specific app or feature (or group/combination of apps and features) causes the reboots. In the 4 months I've had my phone, it's rebooted MAYBE 5 times? I think it's only rebooted twice post-Portico, which would be about 2.5-3 months. It's not something incessant or AT ALL frequent, in my opinion. I mean, it was nothing as obnoxious as the bugs I had to deal with in Android 2.2 and 2.3 with my Droid Incredible.
    03-03-2013 02:53 AM
    I still think that the Nokia N8 offers a better overall camera package.. but its very close.. Xenon vs. OIS , stereo sound vs. HAAC mics... but the N8 does produce better quality and it has better optics, and.. a bigger sensor.

Also, google maps is better than here/nokia for the USofA ... they have better indexing, I use both on a daily basis.
    Well, even if you like the N8's camera better (never really seen it and never used it), let's put it this way: The 920 is the best on a modern OS. Symbian is dead and gone, so it's not like you're going to look into buying an N8 now. When speaking of smartphones on a modern operating system, the 920 is where it's at.

As for Google Maps, I'm not really sure. Like I said, StreetView and the overall detail is better, but I'd MUCH rather have the offline maps in HERE Maps over Google Maps, as I don't need the maps much, except when driving far away (which I've done once in the past 2 years or so), and the offline function of HERE Maps wins that feature hands-down. It is something that DEFINITELY depends on your frequency/reason for use of your mapping application.

One thing I didn't know with Google Maps: My brother-in-law said you can only get a DL of about 88 MB on his Galaxy S III. Do you know if that means you can only download one 88MB chunk at a time, or can you download several chunks and have it tie them together?
    Residing likes this.
    03-03-2013 02:59 AM
    I'm not having any rebooting issues at all. In fact... post Portico it's nearly as fast as Win8 at boot up.
    Also not noticing much of an app lack beyond TheChive and Steam. And my 810 only gets warm when playing video games.
    03-03-2013 03:45 AM
    Do yourself a favor OP and stick with Android. At least for another year, maybe two depending how quickly MS can get their act together. Wp8 and MS services and integration are awesome, on paper. Realistically, its a huge mess with gaps, missing features and a lot of empty promises. Basically they bit off more than they could deliver. And Wp8 is the weak link in what MS has to offer and 920 is a love/hate lottery of issues. You may be one of the lucky ones but more likely to have at least one of the many problems. Save yourself the hassle and hold off until it is a little further along. Hardware will be better and MS will have some issues resolved by then. Give it some time to mature and you won't have to deal with the disappointment many of us are dealing with.
    03-03-2013 03:47 AM
    I own an 8x but my neighbor has a 920 and Im constantly tinkering with it, most of your question seems to be about WP in general so Ill give it a go

First of all you should realize that looking through forums on the internet, youre bound to find a skewed opinions, the minority with problems tend to be the loudest in forums, someone with a perfectly fine 920 is going to post about how perfectly fine it is.
    Anyways:
    1. Speed Fluidity, DEFF better than Android! On par with iPhone, no matter what I throw at my phone, it never falters,
    2. I completely agree with you with not wanting to spend a lot of time customizing and rooting etc...I actually love how easy customization is on WP8! And when it comes to email, messaging, pictures, etc it just works which is awesome!
    3. Keyboard very subjective, I much prefer it to android, never tried iphones, but iphones are known for being pretty ****ty at guessing wordsagain compared to android I remember being really impressed with their keyboard especially coming from android
    4. My neighbor who takes A LOT of notes (school, work life) absolutely loves OneNote, and its synced with skydrive which is really nice
    5. Calendar is probably the only core application that Windows is lacking inim sure theres an app that can replace it, but I dont use it a lot and havent gotten around to it
    6. Ive My neighbor has had a few reboots (less than 5), Ive only had 1 and it was either right after or right before Portico
    7. 920s camera is superb, havent heard about fuzziness or glitchyness at all, most people have had no problems with their camera, and Ive seen comparison between iPhone 5, SIII, and 920, all have negligible differences in daylight, nighttime, 920 obviously wins
    8. Nokia HERE is honestly the second best thing to Google Maps, each one has there forte but theyll both get you from point A to point B.
    9. VERY good SMS experience, I love being able to facebook chat in SMS style

Oh battery life probable wont be as good as an iPhone, pretty sure SIII isnt either, but it'll last your through the whole day with moderate use

Again, app might be a deal breaker, and if youre paying full price for the phone, make sure your comfortable with possible not having your favorite apps for a while
    03-03-2013 04:06 AM
    Do yourself a favor OP and stick with Android. At least for another year, maybe two depending how quickly MS can get their act together. Wp8 and MS services and integration are awesome, on paper. Realistically, its a huge mess with gaps, missing features and a lot of empty promises. Basically they bit off more than they could deliver. And Wp8 is the weak link in what MS has to offer and 920 is a love/hate lottery of issues. You may be one of the lucky ones but more likely to have at least one of the many problems. Save yourself the hassle and hold off until it is a little further along. Hardware will be better and MS will have some issues resolved by then. Give it some time to mature and you won't have to deal with the disappointment many of us are dealing with.
    Yah, I guess I will wait at least 'till new flagship WP8 devices are announced and I'll check to see what MS is going to deliver on with regards to software updates. Bugs/Software improvements.

I just REALLY hate my S3. In fact the only things I like about the S3 is the screen, camera, notification center and selection of apps on Android. THAT'S IT. I guess I could say that I like having a removable battery, but not if it sacrifices build quality/aesthetics - which it does.

As much as I disliked iOS limitations, it still provided a better stock experience IMO. I like the keyboard, it comes with a note pad. The calendar is great, I enjoy the browser more. I use stock and Dolphin on my S3. It's just these little things that add up and **** me off. Though I'd prefer not to go back to iOS......How the **** are people not bored of it by now. It's the same **** year after year. So no I don't want that again. o_O

So I was thinking WP8 or Ubuntu. And WP8 seems to deliver on a solid stock experience... Just hopefully they work out some of the bigger bugs, implement the features you guys think are necessary and get some more apps over the next 3-4 months. 'cause I don't see myself sticking with my S3 for anymore than a year tops and I JUST GOT IT.

To everyone else tellin' me to get an Android device. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. I do not like Android and yes, I'm familiar with all of the flagship Android devices out / coming out.

HTC Butterfly, Sony Xperia Z, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, LG Optimus G Pro etc.

1.) I was reading in posts that people are saying newer apps won't work on older Windows Phone OS? Like 7 - 7.5 etc. What's that about?
    03-03-2013 04:17 AM
    Judging from your posts I'd say you would like WP8 and the Lumia 920. You're sort of in the same situation as I was, switching from iOS to Android hoping I could make it everything I'd want it to be but just finding that I missed the fluidity and smoothness of iOS. I didn't want to go back to iOS as I find the UI boring now so WP8 is a great alternative. It's smooth and fluid just like iOS but is so much nicer to use, apps are mostly all consistent with each other and the overall experience is really nice. The keyboard is great, Nokia Maps is very nice, the browser is fast, sms messaging gets the job done and the camera is the best overall you can get. It sounds like WP8 would suit you if you can get past the lack of apps.
    03-03-2013 06:52 AM
    Wow I didn't know we had that many anti WP8 people here. Kind of expected it the other way around considering the subject matter of this place and all...
    Jaripi and LeLee092 like this.
    03-03-2013 07:16 AM
    i switched from Android to WP8 (lumia 920)...so i know android and my sister has an Iphone....no regrets really and i prefer it to those 2.
    i love it, it's smooth, beautiful and efficient and all the apps i need are there.
    Jaripi and Nimdock like this.
    03-03-2013 08:02 AM
    Vectraat,

Reading your list, I must say I think you would like WP. You don't seem to expect that much and most of what you want is there.

The 920 still gets very hot running certain apps, like navigation, some games....

Reboot issue is a defect and should result in a replaced phone as I dont think many have that problem.

Personally I think the battery life is bad, especially if you actually use your phone regularly.

You may like the keyboard. Personally, I dont and simply wish MS would allow us a choice and not have it locked from devs creating new ones.

Most will agree that the calendar app is pretty weak.

As far as file explorer, you are ok if your main concern is pics/videos.

Camera on 920 is very good. Especially with the Proshot app.

So I say give it a shot. I think you'll like it as your needs would be fit by WP. Though perhaps wait until the next update which I guess will be in late spring or early summer. Just to see what MS pushes out AND you can get a look at the new Gen of WP8 phones.
    Last edited by DaveGx; 03-03-2013 at 08:51 AM.
    03-03-2013 08:38 AM
    i switched from Android to WP8 (lumia 920)...so i know android and my sister has an Iphone....no regrets really and i prefer it to those 2.
    i love it, it's smooth, beautiful and efficient and all the apps i need are there.
    I agree.

Background/Disclaimer: I had an iPhone 3g (actually still have it in my desk drawer, come to think of it) and currently have a Note 2 (personal) , Lumia 920 (work) and Z10 (work). I had other Android and Symbian phones in between as well. I'm not a causal user (hence my having three phones right now, lol). I get very much into each device, it's customization, etc. I know about how powerful launchers and widgets are on Android, and I jailbroke my iPhone in order to enable some extra functionality.

The Windows Phone experience on the Lumia 920 is beautiful. I had read, before, a user opinion that Windows Phone was the most beautiful OS available. From videos I couldn't see it. I really wanted to try it out, though, and the Lumia reviews (nevermind the forum complaints!) were very positive so I went ahead and purchased one. It's quite possibly the best phone I have ever used from an overall experience perspective.

There are weaknesses, obviously (some tasks require more steps than on other platforms, and a couple of apps that I use for my work aren't available for WP8), but the strengths outweigh them. The phone is phenomenal. Of all of the phones that I have owned, and of the three that I currently own, this is the only one that feels like a true premium device (except when it vibrates/rattles...yikes...had to turn it off). The hardware is absolutely gorgeous, the OS is smooth, and it interacts perfectly with my other devices (bluetooth headset, car stereo (even sends song info to be displayed on the car stereo system)).

Nokia and Microsoft hit a home run with this combination, and it's an absolute shame that it's not better-recognized/doesn't get more media time.
    LeLee092 and Muessig like this.
    03-03-2013 11:28 AM
    Wow I didn't know we had that many anti WP8 people here. Kind of expected it the other way around considering the subject matter of this place and all...
    I committed to the whole 8. A 920, RT and W8. I was all gung-ho and got everything on launch. 920 has been the only disappointment from day one with battery and random resets. OS doesn't do anything spectacular and doesn't do so many things I need it to. Simple, basic options a phone needs just aren't there. I haven't sworn off wp8, but in May, I'm picking up Android. I'll give MS a couple of years to catch up and give it a go again. Its an unfinished product that was rushed to market and MS needs time, which they don't have, to make it a good third option. Unless MS abandon 8 like they did 7, I have no doubt it will become a good OS. Its just not worth the frustration right now when there are better options.
    03-03-2013 12:06 PM
    Grass is always greener...
    03-03-2013 12:14 PM
    My 2nd comment after reading what the others are saying, i must say that with my lumia 920, i never had any reboots, no rattles, and my battery holds for a day easily (connected all day, games, browsing and such, but no NFC or Location), so the hardware is top notch for me, these are just some bad cases of busted devices i guess.
    Again the OS is beautiful, smooth, and functional. i highly recommend it and i probably will never go back to Android unless they do something ground breaking that might pull me back, iOS is not appealing to me at all either, though i think it's good.
    03-03-2013 12:37 PM
    I love the camera on this phone. Here are a bunch of my unedited shots. Half are before Portico, half after: http://sdrv.ms/U5VBIr . I've spent a good deal of time on this forum defending it, but it seems like the people that have issues with it either were convinced by Nokia's marketing department that it's a valid SLR replacement and are disappointed at the results, actually have faulty hardware, or don't really understand why everything can't always be in focus with a locked f/2.0 lens. The post-processing software didn't sharpen the images enough for most people's liking prior to Portico. It seems to sharpen it enough now.

I've had my 920 since launch, and it does everything I want it to do. It has never frozen (seriously), and it doesn't get excessively hot. I had an iPhone 4S and Droid 2 Global before that (and then various smartphones going back to the Treo 650), and the 920 is my favorite phone to date. Voice quality is terrific, the interface looks and feels good and I just really enjoy using it. The battery lasts twice as long as the 4S (no LTE in my area). I have dedicated devices for reading, watching movies, listening to music (Spotify is acceptable on the Lumia, though), surfing, FB etc, so I really just use the core functionality of the phone most of the time.
    03-03-2013 12:45 PM
    Should I switch to WP8?
    Yes.
    03-03-2013 02:01 PM
    @DaveGx

From what I understand the reboot issue isn't a defect caused
    by hardware. MS released Portico which was meant to address the issue. So to me that would indicate that It's a software/OS issue?

@conanheath

"random resets" This is before AND after Portico? How many
    do you deal with? I'm trying to find concrete evidence of this issue
    but it just seems so random and not everyone experiences it.

I think it would be a concern even on the next gen WP8 devices.

Also for everyone complaining about poor battery life on the 920
    Wasn't Portico supposed to deal with that to some degree?

Personally I'm not that impressed with my S3 battery.
    It won't last me a whole day of use and I'm not even talking intensive use like
    games/movies. Just SMS, web Browsing, photo browsing, some camera use and It'll be
    dead before days end.

@Cameradork

Those are some nice looking photos.
    I believe I do see some focus/fuzziness issues in at least 2, but most are
    quite sharp. Do you tweak settings on the camera to get them
    to look that way prior to taking the photos?
    I'm mostly looking for a point-and-shoot with good results
    type of camera as I know nothing about cameras.

I heard after the Portico update some people were experiencing issue with focus on the camera, but not for you?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a shame there are so many mixed, but mostly negative responses regarding WP8 / Lumia 920 on these forums. If a product is bad then It's bad and I don't expect glowing
    reviews....But can this phone and OS truly be THAT bad or do forums always just attract overly critical people?
    While I'm sure some are legitimate complaints, It's difficult to discern between what is real and what is as the result of someone not knowing how to use their device to It's full potential etc.
    I kinda came here hoping for a push to get into WP8/Lumia 920, but reading a lot of these responses is off-putting so as I said I guess I will wait 'till the next Gen WP8 comes out and see what OS updates are on the way.

I hope Nokia keeps with It's design aesthetics and doesn't do a major overhaul on the Lumia brand or whatever flagship is next as I do like the colors and design of the Lumia 920.
    I read they were switching to aluminum while still keeping the color options.... So I hope so.

Thanks for the responses.

Cheers.
    03-03-2013 02:03 PM
    It's a shame there are so many mixed, but mostly negative responses regarding WP8 / Lumia 920 on these forums. If a product is bad then It's bad and I don't expect glowing
    reviews....But can this phone and OS truly be THAT bad or do forums always just attract overly critical people?
    When a device is first released you see a flood of posts from people gushing about how wonderful the device is. As that passes and people settle into normal daily life again those types of posts become fewer, and a lot of people just stop visiting the forums altogether. What you then see is people posting about new apps, news or (when there is very little of the prior two) problems. In the case of the Lumia, there's not much happening in the way of news, and new apps aren't inundating the store, either, so what you end up seeing is a lot of posts from people who have problems with their phones.

It's unfortunate, because this really is a hidden gem as far as smartphones go. Again, between my Z10, Note 2 and the Lumia, the Lumia is the one that I choose to use the most. I went to Android because of the customization but I learned, over the last two years, that customization has its drawbacks as well.

While customizing the OS is nice, it's just like customizing a car: the more stuff you change, the more likely you are to run into problems down the road. Android is like that. I have my Note 2 set up so that its ability and efficiency are unrivaled by any other mobile device I've used, regardless of OS. It has gestures and hotspots out the wazoo, and the screens (lock and homescreens) even look great. Any info I want is either immediately available or no more than two swipes or clicks away. It's wonderful...when it works. Running all kinds of widgets and apps you run into problems with lagging, freezing, crashing from time-to-time. Initially there were no issues, but over time it has become increasingly problematic.

Customizability is great, but it comes at a price. I like the compromise that WP8 presents.

I forgot to mention that the battery life on my 920 is unreal. I just plugged it in a few minutes ago because I was tired of waiting for the battery to deplete. It still had 24% charge remaining after 28 hours (including phone calls (speakerphone, bluetooth and 'normal' calls), bluetooth music streaming via LTE, web browsing, texting and other messaging, forum app use, etc).
    Last edited by zc1; 03-03-2013 at 02:45 PM.
    03-03-2013 02:31 PM
    I switched from S3 to Lumia and Windows Phones are better than you would think. I don't regret a thing
    LeLee092 likes this.
    03-03-2013 02:31 PM
    I don't think that the real issue is problems with the OS. This is actually just like World of Warcraft, really. By that, I mean the complaints here are mostly the vocal minority. Just like in World of Warcraft, there are people who complain about every little thing like it's a cancer on the game's forums. As many point out there, those who are happy with the game are too busy playing it to go to the forums and complain. The same could be said here, that people are out using their phones, rather than complaining about them.

The other thing is that I think Windows Phone owners are less fanatical and more like realists with the platform. We aren't going to defend the platform's negatives and be fanboys and lie about the shortcomings of the platform. I can point out many things that are imperfect with Windows Phone, but I wouldn't FOR A SECOND think about leaving it for Android, let alone the nightmare that is the Apple bandwagon.

Rather than tell you everything you want to hear, we're telling you the facts of the matters at-hand so you can make an honest, informed decision. I can tell you what I dislike about Windows Phone, but I can tell you much larger things that I dislike about Android. I will NEVER recommend iOS to someone because I think that it offers nothing over the competition, but I can recommend Android to those too impatient to wait for apps like Instagram or games like Temple Run (neither of which interest me, but I get that they are popular). So while you might say that there is a lot of negativity, I think it more that it's a tendency of Android and iOS fans to put on the rose-colored glasses more.

I love Windows Phone, and my Lumia 920 is LIGHT YEARS ahead of what my HTC Droid Incredible was. My brother-in-law's Galaxy S III might be customizable (though he doesn't do that stuff), and it might have hundreds of thousands more apps, but they do nothing for me when compared to what Windows Phone offers me--full Xbox LIVE integration, a great camera, wireless charging, the best screen technology in a smartphone, great build quality, a beautiful, simplistic UI, and the ability to toss out the pre-installed crapware without rooting.

It's up to each person to get what he wants, but after using Windows Phone, I legitimately don't know if I would even want another smartphone if this OS went away, just because it's such a pleasant experience when compared to my issues with Android.

See? I can gush about it, but that doesn't tell you that this platform has growing pains to work through. The desktop software (particularly Xbox Music) could really stand to be improved. The apps obviously need to come. The other section of storage has a tendency to grow like a disease (though there are ways to fix that). The proximity sensor can be sketchy at times (compressed air can easily fix that). Those things all suck, but even combined, they don't' ruin the experience because a couple of minutes a month can keep the storage and proximity sensor working properly, and apps WILL come. Xbox Music might really need improving, but it's MUCH better than the music player(s) I experienced on Android.

Picking your OS is less about what it CAN do, and more about how bad its deficiencies will affect you. You might need Instagram or some other app not on Windows Phone. I needed to get away from an OS that was full of garbage apps I couldn't install (like Slacker, Facebook, Twitter, and Skype; I never used any of them, but they would open themselves in the background on occasion, and I couldn't uninstall them without learning to root the device).
    cameradork likes this.
    03-03-2013 02:46 PM
    I don't think that the real issue is problems with the OS. This is actually just like World of Warcraft, really. By that, I mean the complaints here are mostly the vocal minority. Just like in World of Warcraft, there are people who complain about every little thing like it's a cancer on the game's forums. As many point out there, those who are happy with the game are too busy playing it to go to the forums and complain. The same could be said here, that people are out using their phones, rather than complaining about them.

The other thing is that I think Windows Phone owners are less fanatical and more like realists with the platform. We aren't going to defend the platform's negatives and be fanboys and lie about the shortcomings of the platform. I can point out many things that are imperfect with Windows Phone, but I wouldn't FOR A SECOND think about leaving it for Android, let alone the nightmare that is the Apple bandwagon.

Rather than tell you everything you want to hear, we're telling you the facts of the matters at-hand so you can make an honest, informed decision. I can tell you what I dislike about Windows Phone, but I can tell you much larger things that I dislike about Android. I will NEVER recommend iOS to someone because I think that it offers nothing over the competition, but I can recommend Android to those too impatient to wait for apps like Instagram or games like Temple Run (neither of which interest me, but I get that they are popular). So while you might say that there is a lot of negativity, I think it more that it's a tendency of Android and iOS fans to put on the rose-colored glasses more.

I love Windows Phone, and my Lumia 920 is LIGHT YEARS ahead of what my HTC Droid Incredible was. My brother-in-law's Galaxy S III might be customizable (though he doesn't do that stuff), and it might have hundreds of thousands more apps, but they do nothing for me when compared to what Windows Phone offers me--full Xbox LIVE integration, a great camera, wireless charging, the best screen technology in a smartphone, great build quality, a beautiful, simplistic UI, and the ability to toss out the pre-installed crapware without rooting.

It's up to each person to get what he wants, but after using Windows Phone, I legitimately don't know if I would even want another smartphone if this OS went away, just because it's such a pleasant experience when compared to my issues with Android.

See? I can gush about it, but that doesn't tell you that this platform has growing pains to work through. The desktop software (particularly Xbox Music) could really stand to be improved. The apps obviously need to come. The other section of storage has a tendency to grow like a disease (though there are ways to fix that). The proximity sensor can be sketchy at times (compressed air can easily fix that). Those things all suck, but even combined, they don't' ruin the experience because a couple of minutes a month can keep the storage and proximity sensor working properly, and apps WILL come. Xbox Music might really need improving, but it's MUCH better than the music player(s) I experienced on Android.

Picking your OS is less about what it CAN do, and more about how bad its deficiencies will affect you. You might need Instagram or some other app not on Windows Phone. I needed to get away from an OS that was full of garbage apps I couldn't install (like Slacker, Facebook, Twitter, and Skype; I never used any of them, but they would open themselves in the background on occasion, and I couldn't uninstall them without learning to root the device).
    Truth.
    03-03-2013 02:56 PM
    I switched from the S2 Skyrocket to the Lumia 900 and the fluidity of the OS is incomparable. And this is on WP7. I'd considered switching to Android a couple of times due to needed a few apps for my work but everytime someone is interested in selling/trading their Android to me, I just can't bring myself to go through with it. While both WP7 and WP8 have their flaws, they are super underrated mainly because of lack of apps. There is some basic functionality that isn't baked into the system and can get annoying, but overall to me (without the apps) it is better than any Android device. But then again if possible I'd even choose the Blackberry Q10 (not z10) over Android any day. I'm also a sucker for good, sturdy hardware, that also happens to look beautiful.;)
    03-03-2013 03:21 PM
    Yes. Everybody should. I've owned my Lumia920 since November and am really happy that I made the switch from Android.
    03-03-2013 03:33 PM
78 1234