Lumia 920 keeps shutting itself off

hrrsncrawford

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Let me first start by saying how I love my Lumia 920 & Windows phone 8 :grin:. But what I hate about it, is that it keeps shutting itself off to the point I have to do a soft reset to turn it back on. I don't know if its a Nokia bug or Windows phone 8 bug, but its annoying as heck! For instance, last night I sent someone a text message and wondered after about 10-15 minutes why I hadn't received a reply, I checked the phone and it was off. It usually always turns itself off overnight while I am sleeping but it is becoming a headache for me to do it during the day. Suppose I was in a emergency and needed the phone to call 911 or etc., I would be SOL... Any suggestions as to why this keeps happening or if a fix will be sent out?

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My sister's 820 kept shutting down every night. Her wifi was always on. Switched off Wifi and so far no problems.

Just like I did before - my cp did not shut down with Wi-Fi off ... and now, I can keep even my Wi-Fi on and it is not shutting down ... but not sure, what changed that ... :(

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that it is a software bug - and it is related to the WiFi. I got mine Lumia920 about a month ago, it is RM-821 267_eu_france 059Q8C2 model. About 10 days ago I got my Portico update OTA, and I updated my phone. For the first 3-4 days there were no problem. On the 4th day I have turned Keep WiFi ON, and after several hours my phone was dead. I did a soft reset, and for several hours it was OK. After a text message, I wanted to check something, and there it was, a black screen again. Another soft reset. Some 2 hrs later, my wife had called, I am receiving a call, and I hear the music playing, but the screen is black again. Third soft reset. Then I uninstalled Battery widget, and turned WiFi OFF. These 2 I got around the same time, so I thought it is something of those two. Yesterday afternoon, I had some spare time, and wanted to do an experiment. So I tuned ON the Keep WiFi, and guess what - after 20 mins the phone was dead again. Another soft reset, turned Keep WiFi OFF. then, it went dead again, I forgot to completely reboot it (like I did the first time). Installed Battery widget again, so far no trouble. So there u have it, the Keep the WiFi alive feature kills the phone! I am writing this as a feedback to Nokia, and would appreciate if any1 else would do the same, so they might push out an update to fix this annoying bug.

dogukan

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Let me first start by saying how I love my Lumia 920 & Windows phone 8 :grin:. But what I hate about it, is that it keeps shutting itself off to the point I have to do a soft reset to turn it back on. I don't know if its a Nokia bug or Windows phone 8 bug, but its annoying as heck! For instance, last night I sent someone a text message and wondered after about 10-15 minutes why I hadn't received a reply, I checked the phone and it was off. It usually always turns itself off overnight while I am sleeping but it is becoming a headache for me to do it during the day. Suppose I was in a emergency and needed the phone to call 911 or etc., I would be SOL... Any suggestions as to why this keeps happening or if a fix will be sent out?

Same problem.

Do a flash. 90% of the phone I fixed is due to corrupted OS installation.

I've been planning to do a flash for this problem and a few other problems. Will it void my warranty? Or will they be able to see that I applied a flash?

Alf Lande

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Have the same problem. My 920 goes off and I have to restart it 4-6 times a day. I use it a lot as my mobile router, and it goes off while I'm working on my PC Connected to internet via my Nokia 920. The 4G if awsome by the way. But also when I'm traveling around in the city, it turns itself off and I get complaints of being unavailable. Please notify if there is a way to fix this :smile:

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Asking because I've heard that flashing might change the phone's product number or something like that.

And is it a dangereous or risky progress?

well, it's not risky, if something happens (you couldn't flash or something) you can just send it to nokia care that they will fix it for you (flashing), I guess the IMEI number doesn't change as well, only if they change the motherboard..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss