I've got an opportunity to buy a brand new, white, in box Lumia 920 for $265 locally from Craigslist. Guy seems legit and said the device hasn't even been powered on. It's an AT&T model, he got it when upgrading a contract but went with the iPhone instead so hasn't touched the Lumia.

Currently rocking a Focus S but have been eyeing up a Lumia for ages.

If I have warranty issues would AT&T deal with this even though I didn't purchase direct from them? I mean, it has a one year manufacturer warranty right and AT&T are the only retailers - just wondering. Obviously hope that I don't have any issues though if I do get it.

Main concern is the size difference but it just seems like too good an opportunity to pass up.

Thoughts?
    03-04-2013 03:10 PM
    that's a great deal! nokia will honor the warranty in the first year, shouldn't have problems
    03-04-2013 03:34 PM
    If you'e not on AT&T you won't be able to get it unlocked until May 1st officially..
    03-04-2013 03:35 PM
    If you're able to pick it up in person, I would highly recommend putting your sim in there right before buying it and see if it will make a call. You need to ensure that this phone is not "hot" (stolen).

I have to be slightly skeptical only when someone who got themselves a free Lumia 920 is NOT selling it for much closer to market resale value. As an example, there's a white one on ebay right now for $330 and climbing with 26 bids and a day left... so there's a demand.

Anyway, ensure the phone works when you get it beyond just powering it on - make a phone call or something. I think you should be good if you can make a call.
    xirsteon likes this.
    03-04-2013 03:44 PM
    I don't think you can make a call unless it has been setup...can you? The OP said it has not even been powered on. I think you have to go throught the getting started setup, but I could be wrong.

Craigslist doesn't have any fees and you don't have to ship which is good for a seller. As a seller, you also know that you get the money right there and nobody can put in a claim for "not as described". Now, with Craigslist the buyer isn't protected.
    03-04-2013 03:49 PM
    I don't think you can make a call unless it has been setup...can you? The OP said it has not even been powered on. I think you have to go throught the getting started setup, but I could be wrong.
    I thought I remembered seeing some mention of skipping setup... Hmmm... Good point though. Not 100% on that one.
    03-04-2013 04:08 PM
    Thanks for all the replies guys. TBH I'm still on the fence. I told the guy as much and that was when he dropped the price - it was originally $300. I dunno, something could be amiss although he did post a picture that clearly shows it with the 'don't text and drive' sticker still on, no bubbles under it so definitely not removed and replaced.

It is just a gamble though isn't it. I mean he'd probably be totally fine with me popping in my Straight Talk SIM and giving it a whirl.

Unfortunately I have the other side of my brain that's chiding me to try out the Nexus 4 while I have some cash for it. I love Windows Phone and was an adopter on day one but as of late MS seems to have been moving a bit slower. Wondering whether to take a little break and then swing on back when WP8.5/9Blue (whatever they're gonna call it).

Decisions, decisions.....1st world decisions at that....
    03-04-2013 06:40 PM
    My suggestion if you're going to buy it is to meet the seller at an AT&T store. That way you'll be protected in the event that the device has been reported lost or stolen. If the seller doesn't want to meet at an AT&T store, then you should not consider buying.
    M L and woodbane like this.
    03-04-2013 07:06 PM
    As long as you have a working sim card for att, you will be fine to test it. Yes, you will have to do a quick setup, but if all is goo, he/she won't mind. Just go to a Starbucks... Sit down and don't give him any money. Tell him you need to test it first. after all is goo, you will be free to pay him.

Though, I have sold brand new phones... I got my HTC touch pro 2 replaced, but got an iPhone at the same time. I also bought a kindle from Craigslist... Supposedly a Christmas present from work and unopened, but when I started it had a name on the account. I quicky called amazon, but they said it was cool and not stolen.

Whatnibam getting to is that brand nee stuff can be from stolen packages or of delivery trucks... But some people are really legit. If he does not allow you to test it or comply, don't bother. No reason to buy stolen goods no matter what deal you are getting... They could be your stolen goods being sold next time...

Guess I am still bitter about my bikes bong stolen a few months back... Just replaces them with even better bikes, but I am still mad!
    03-04-2013 07:18 PM
    My suggestion if you're going to buy it is to meet the seller at an AT&T store. That way you'll be protected in the event that the device has been reported lost or stolen. If the seller doesn't want to meet at an AT&T store, then you should not consider buying.
    That's not a bad idea - thanks.
    03-04-2013 07:18 PM
    In then end I passed. I think I'm going to wait for the Lumia 720.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-06-2013 01:08 PM
    A thing to consider is the sellers AT&T account. If the seller defaults or doesn't pay their bill either tomorrow or months down the road, AT&T can block the imei # of the phone you buy. The phone will then be worthless to you. You just have to hope they stay current on their bill. I chatted with an AT&T rep about this and that is what they told me.
    M L likes this.
    03-06-2013 03:12 PM