Episode III: The Phantom Touches Strike Back.. button

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My 3rd Lumia 920 is suffering from a weird issue of registering phantom touches on the back button. All of a sudden, when in the middle of an app, it exits and brings up the multitask screen (which is usually brought about by long-pressing the back button). It's annoying especially during messaging because it exits the app and takes me to the home screen and then the multitask screen. No hands, fingers or objects anywhere near the back button!
And to add to it, I can actually hear the tactile feedback-ish sound when this occurs. It started right out of the box but went away a little while later. And even now it comes occasionally exacerbating any difficulty in trying to get a problem resolution from either AT&T or Nokia.

Anyone else noticed this? There were at most 2-3 people who had the same issue and posted on Nokia support forums. So my hopes for a response are already low.

Portico, Super-sensitivity-OFF, AT&T, Yellow, 3rd replacement device.

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Will see how long I can tolerate this. Hard reset isn't exactly an easy-breezy process on WP8. Thanks though

galw

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem when charging my Lumia with 220V USB charger that I guess was defected.
the ghosts disappeared after I replaced the charger......

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I also had this problem with my HTC Titan. For some reason the aftermarket car charger would cause the phone to act as if I was holding down the start button and bringing up the TellMe interface. Switching out the charger fixed the issue tho. Now I'm using a 920 and its awesome!

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
had an issue with my L900 where, after an unlock, it thought I was doing a long press on both the back and the home buttons, causing the phone to go to task browse or voice commands. I would avoid this by pressing the search button upon unlock. no such problem on the l920 so far. Have had it lock up on me two times and had to do the volume down/lock button reset.

Avinash Kantheti

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I too has been facing the same issue from quite some time. I own a Lumia 920.
In my case both the back button and home button activates automatically, eventually bringing everything to home screen, voice assistant comes up - tries to listen something, ends up saying "Call mummy or Open calender". And there is no way to disable the voice assistant, other than disabling it when locked. So this voice assistant comes up repeatedly and if you try to lock the phone to get rid of it, the funny thing happens - "Screenshots saved". Its irritating, cann't do anything with your phone. I tried restarting phone several times "volume down+power button", no use, i will be relieved for some time.

I was in the thought it might be some software issue, knowing about the AMBER update, i waited for its release. But the issue didn't fixed even after the update

Finally i visited Nokia care, i realized that my phone unpredictable behavior was better than Nokia care
Instead of investigating or observing or identifying the reason for it. They started complaining that the phone was already opened and touched up inside (blasted up my mind), hence warranty expired, only solution is replace with a new touch panel, which will cost 12K. And also confirmed that the phone's warranty is expired. For further reference i made a copy of the job sheet

With this response, i tried contacting Nokia through a different channel, Nokia care chat. They asked me to try restart (volume down+power button). the same know stuff again. Asked to hard reset the phone, i said i will try that after after back-up
I explained them also my experience at Nokia care centre, and was asked to check with some other nokia service centre and get back to us again with the new job sheet

Since there wasn't any track of the conversation, i mailed up Nokia care, with the issues and the already had chat conversation

Then i visited another Nokia care centre, this was again another interesting. The representative over there hasn't heard anything like that, hence they won't accept it for service or observation. Since after many phone restart's the issue comes up some time and remains for some time, my fate it didn't happened or occurred while i am at Nokia care. So no use reaching there. Even after saying about my prior conversation with Nokia care chat and asked to take the device for observation, the representative denied to do so

Finally I did a device back up and did a phone reset (settings->about phone->reset phone), even after that no betterment, issue happens randomly. Having to do nothing, using the device in vibrate mode all the time and phone locked if the voice assistant opens up

A mail chain was running and stuck now with Nokia Care regarding the same

If some one face the similar issue or any solution for this or better way to reach Nokia Care, please reply

cristobalflorian

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem, but its not just the glass screen or digitizer, did you try removing your sim?? My Lumia behaves normally without sim... When I use data connection with the sim on, it turns crazy, and more when its on low signal, 2g, 3g or HSPA... its really confusing...

j_wolfe

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
My LCD looks fine and I've replaced the digitizer twice.... I'm thinking maybe inferior replacement parts??? Or is it a system prob?

joaoalbuquerque

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi! Bought a second hand 920 today that had the same issue. I have just changed the digitizer from a dead 920 I had, and apparantely it's ok now. The next hours or days will tell. Thanks for the tip.

BboyFlash

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem with my Lumia; it sounds like you guys are all suffering from a worn/crap digitizer. (It's the panel that makes the touch functionality work). This goes beyond hardware as this bad piece of hardware can cause the software to malfunction. Mine did it to the point of never letting the phone get charged because it'd randomly brick during use.

Best thing to do is to do is order an OEM digitizer. This fix can range $20-36 depending on where you buy, along with if you want to do it yourself or hire someone (I haven't seen anything above $50) to repair.

Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3