Overnight freezing workaround and possible bug source

Mike Smit

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
this is a answer of mine to another freeze issue post, however i later say that the last post was over 2 months ago. so i made a new one to make sure everybody sees it

Mine freezes every night, no exceptions. however i have found a few workarounds.

1. set your lock screen to never and leave your screen on.
2. put it in airplane mode

however there are a few oddities, it may appear that your phone totally froze but you still recieve incomming calls which leads me to believe that only the output and input interfaces froze.
also that the freeze occurs because the phone does some automated synching/pinging to some server, however the phone fails to go out of inactive mode.

inactive mode is triggered when the phone is not used for 2 hours at all (including incoming calls etc.)

i also have had some daytime freezes, which all happened after listening music with the xbox music app. whatsapp also uses this interface to prevent the os from putting it inactive, so it could be the switch from the user song to the "not excisting/non playable" song used by whatsapp.

to be sure that the overnight freezing is not caused by a particular app, i will monitor the phone with a packet sniffer and a dedicated wifi (wifi is also a game breaker but not the only one. disableling wifi reduces the freeze chance from 99% to 80%.)

i rely on my phone to wake me up in the morning so this really annoys me. i'l report my findings with the packet sniffer.

the 2 work arounds both work, however airplane mode is the only one that does no damage ( as you all know that when a screen displays the same images for hours at a time with no change that part of the image COULD be permanent)

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If it is in fact an OS issue then its not a bug but rather a bad/corrupted OS installation. So don't expect it will be completely gone along with the next update.
Like all windows product WP8 stores environment setting (aka how it behaves) in a way similar to registry key on a PC windows.
So like PC tech always advice, do a reformat and clean installation, the WP8 smart phone should also be treated in the same way.
Flashing the phone is the only way to fix these weird issues IF is in fact an OS level malfunction.

Good luck!

Mike Smit

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Flashing the phone supposedly breaks warranty. So i'll not be doing that without first looking for the root cause.

but as you stated. if the registry and/or os files are indeed corrupt, they can be patched and fixed. It is also hard to believe that the installed OS has not been verified for integrity by the manufacturer.

if my findings of the overnight freezing are inconclusive. i will flash my phone and see if it fixes any of the issues (it could also be that the carrier specific OS found on navifirm is corrupt, but i highly doubt that)

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Overnight freezing also happens to me, but only if the phone is being charged at the same time.
I tried to disable WiFi, tried airplane mode, deleted my Linkedin and Facebook accounts ... did not help.
I have flashed the phone twice, but it still happens (less frequent, though ...)

I hope the next OS update (GDR2) will help, but I am not very optimistic ...

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Posible that it is related to hardware. I have read a long discusion in Nokia Forums(pureview 808, lumia 800). If one of the users is correct, it relates to a harware component that regulates power/monitor thermal heat.
When a device switch bandwith from 4G down to 3G then back to 4G the device use more juice. If you will observe, when your device use more power it produces heat. When the critical point is reached the components that monitors the thermal heat will either trigger your device to reboot or shutdown just like a normal PC.
Hope that Nokia are not using this same old components on new devices.

Mike Smit

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
i'd like to counter some of your suggestions, as i do not charge my phone during the night and i don't have 4G(LTE) available yet.

also, my phone is never hot to the touch (apart from some games, but even then it does not reboot)

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Guys the freezing is due to WiFi - I have put my phone already at tests, and that is the conclusion. If u have Portico - the Keep WiFi alive MUST be turned OFF. As I turn it on, the phone freezes in a matter of hours. If it is OFF the phone hasn't froze not even 1 time. I am always charging my phone overnight, and I too rely on it to wake me up. So far, so good, but with the Keep WiFi alive kept OFF. The WiFi setting on the phone is however turned ON at all times, as Location, and cellular. My speed is set to 3G, because the networks here in Serbia don't support LTE just yet.
This is a bug from the OS itself, I have submitted that to Nokia, we shall see what the future holds for us.

Cheers :D

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, if your phone freezes over night, exchange it. simple as that. There is no need for a "work around" for a normal phone. My first phone did that and I just exchanged it. Now, my replacement is over a month old and has not had a single issue with freezing.

Mike Smit

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Guys the freezing is due to WiFi - I have put my phone already at tests, and that is the conclusion. If u have Portico - the Keep WiFi alive MUST be turned OFF. As I turn it on, the phone freezes in a matter of hours. If it is OFF the phone hasn't froze not even 1 time. I am always charging my phone overnight, and I too rely on it to wake me up. So far, so good, but with the Keep WiFi alive kept OFF. The WiFi setting on the phone is however turned ON at all times, as Location, and cellular. My speed is set to 3G, because the networks here in Serbia don't support LTE just yet.
This is a bug from the OS itself, I have submitted that to Nokia, we shall see what the future holds for us.

Cheers :D

I hoped it was this simple but even with the wifi adapter off the phone would still freeze overnight.

aeschylus

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I discovered a fix for this problem that didn't involve having to switch any settings on my phone.

1. Turn off your phone.

2. Remove the SIM card.

3. Power the phone on without the SIM card in place and leave it on for approximately ten minutes.

4. Power off the phone.

5. Gently reinstall the SIM card and turn your phone back on.

I consistently experienced this problem while charging over night and I would need to do a soft reset in order to power it back on. I'm not exactly sure what this series of actions does, but I believe it resets the cellular radios in some fashion. Nevertheless, I have plugged in my phone and left it charging over for the past three nights and my phone has yet to freeze. I have never been able to go this many nights in the past without this happening. I will update on here if it happens to occur again.

Snoke

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, if your phone freezes over night, exchange it. simple as that. There is no need for a "work around" for a normal phone. My first phone did that and I just exchanged it. Now, my replacement is over a month old and has not had a single issue with freezing.

Same here.

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site

One more for exchanging it. Mine froze pretty much daily, but I exchanged back at the end of January and Nokia sent me a different device (not sure if it's refurb or new though) and I haven't had a single lock-up since. Both devices were on Portico.

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Increasingly frequent lock-ups. This time while not charging. I don't want to go through the process of exchanging. Sigh!

elyodeel

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Definitely exchange it. I played with my phone for two weeks and it stopped freezing for a few days, I thought I had figured it out. Well, a few days after that it started freezing every night again. I exchanged it and I have not had it happen once in two months. I always leave WiFi on, because the building I work in has no cell service, so that isn't the issue. Just exchange it.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Increasingly frequent lock-ups. This time while not charging. I don't want to go through the process of exchanging. Sigh!

Just like me, I did not like to do that either ... when I disabled Wi-Fi (WLAN) and I was using only cellular data connection for internet connection, it did not shut down, not at all (I use that trick for a long time) ... and now, it is surprising, I can keep Wi-Fi enabled and it is not shutting down, so my problem disappeared :) ... but I do not know what was changing thing, maybe some update, but there is almost daily updates all the time, so it is hard to know which one .... :(

By the way, I know 1 other who has just the similar experience as me (a problem just disappeared) ...

EDIT: check your fb e-mail too - is there any, "need your attention" writing below it (just go settings - e-mail+accounts, to see it)

Last edited:

johnfishcurtis

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I exchanged my 3 month old Lumia 920 for a new one today.
It consistantly turned off most nights and occasionally during the day, sometimes it would not charge up 100% with a mains charger connected and it would not charge up on my wireless charger at all.

New phone today has (so far) been fine and VERY strangly......... it works fine on the wireless charger........ makes me wonder if its a battery issue???????

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I discovered a fix for this problem that didn't involve having to switch any settings on my phone.

1. Turn off your phone.

2. Remove the SIM card.

3. Power the phone on without the SIM card in place and leave it on for approximately ten minutes.

4. Power off the phone.

5. Gently reinstall the SIM card and turn your phone back on.

I consistently experienced this problem while charging over night and I would need to do a soft reset in order to power it back on. I'm not exactly sure what this series of actions does, but I believe it resets the cellular radios in some fashion. Nevertheless, I have plugged in my phone and left it charging over for the past three nights and my phone has yet to freeze. I have never been able to go this many nights in the past without this happening. I will update on here if it happens to occur again.
Tried this.
Still freeze ... :angry:

aeschylus

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
That's unfortunate. My phone still hasn't frozen once since I did this. I'll try to find the original post about this and post it here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel