Film Vidoe in portrait but uploaded to skydrive in landscape

Nikumba

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
So taken some videos of my cat tonight testing out the camera, and filmed them with the phone in portrait mode, and can view them in portrait mode on the phone, holding the phone in landscape mode and the video plays in portrait mode.

Copy the movie file from the phone to my desktop and upto Skydrive and the video is in landscape mode, like this Rommy and the Tap that video was filmed with the phone in portrait mode.

I know on the iPhone it respects which way you took the video be it in portrait or landscape.

Anyway to fix this? As at the moment there should be a warning telling you not to use the camera in portrait mode in my opinion.

Thanks

Kimbie

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Who would film in a portrait mode with a 5:3 ratio (1280x768) I don't get it? Do you turn your monitor 90 degrees?

Omega Point

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I've used recorded videos in portrait (fireworks so portrait gives more room for error) and they playback in portrait on my computer. That video you linked to also plays in portrait for me so might be a playback rather than recording issue.

---edit---

Just tried a few things on a video I've got, Windows Media Player, Zune & Quicktime all play the video in portrait. However VLC displays it in landscape. What software are you using to watch the videos?

Edit 2: Technical explanation for how rotation seems to work: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...t-exif-from-mp4-video?answertab=votes#tab-top

Last edited:

Nikumba

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
@palandri - Sometimes portrait mode is the best way to film a subject

@Omega Point - I tried using MPC and Gom and both display it in Landscape and when viewing it in Skydrive with IE and Chrome, same thing happens on my works PC. Very strange

Omega Point

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
@palandri - Sometimes portrait mode is the best way to film a subject

@Omega Point - I tried using MPC and Gom and both display it in Landscape and when viewing it in Skydrive with IE and Chrome, same thing happens on my works PC. Very strange

Portrait.JPG

Using IE10 on Windows 8.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
@Nikumba & Omega Point

Thanks for showing me that. I am bit ignorant on wide screen filmed in portrait mode, but I guess I was thinking of TV, Movies, Music Videos on YouTube,,,etc..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention