03-18-2013 08:55 AM
52 123
tools
    Suffering due to WP8? I know a few war vets who would think you crazy. Other than that, yes, I absolutely agree that WP8 wasn't ready, but I also understand that MS' hand was being forced by market pressures. They really had no choice but to slap a version number on whatever they had ready and ship it.
    ...and MS never releases finished products. It releases it, listens to users (almost) and then sends off various service packs/patches to make a sturdy OS.
    03-17-2013 05:49 PM
    ...and MS never releases finished products. It releases it, listens to users (almost) and then sends off various service packs/patches to make a sturdy OS.
    Never? I think W7 was extremely mature when it shipped, no?

On average, Microsoft's products are just as 'finished' as anyone else's are on shipping day. Microsoft just has the extra challenge of shipping their products to millions of tech experts and security researchers all over the world, whereas Apple ships their products primarily to consumers, the majority of which are technically illiterate. Apple rarely gets similarly sophisticated feedback, and even when they do, Apple won't get grilled by flat out ignoring it. No enterprise runs mission critical applications on Apple's products, so Apple can afford to ignore much of what Microsoft releases weekly updates and patches for. The same is true for Google.

Ultimately, nobody releases 'finished' software, because there is no such thing. That is why I speak of being 'ready', instead of being 'finished'. Companies can only choose the state of 'un-finished-ness' at which they wish to ship, and sometimes they can't even do that (WP8 is one example).
    03-18-2013 08:55 AM
52 123