This morning I had some updates to various things from Nokia waiting in my store. I allowed the updates to be installed as normal but now I have a significant problem. When I make a phone call, the phone immediately goes to black screen and the proximity sensor will not bring the display up to end the call, access the keypad, etc. as long as the phone is either dialing or while a call is connected. You can push the power button, etc. and it will flash the screen for a second but it disappears right away again. As soon as the call disconnects the phone returns to operation as normal.

Is there anyway for me to uninstall these updates? Is there a fix for this that anyone knows about?

I just got the damn phone straightened out from some other problems and it was finally set up perfectly, now this happens. Nokia and WP8 is seriously starting to **** me off.
    03-09-2013 04:10 PM
    This is not exactly software realted, but rather a hardware issue. Happened to me several times. The first thing I did was a full reboot of the phone. But the black screen continued, not every call but occasionally. So, I have looked very closelu to the proximity sensor under a bright light, and there was some dust. So, reading the forums, I found out that if u blow into the earpiece in might help. Guess what - it worked.
    03-09-2013 04:39 PM
    I'm not trying to be a jerk but its hard to imagine it being a hardware issue and not related to the updates, since it was perfect up to the point I installed the updates this morning. The very first call I made after those updates are when I had the problem.
    03-09-2013 04:56 PM
    What updates? I have a 920 on AT&T and didn't get any phone updates today or recently.
    03-09-2013 05:21 PM
    03-09-2013 05:25 PM
    I saw that article earlier. However, it doesn't state that the proximity sensor problem is related to dust. In fact, it states the opposite.

That all being said, even though they are right next to each other - there is no way for dust to enter the proximity sensor. I couldn’t really believe it either. But Eric found that the proximity sensor and front-facing camera are separated by a wall and sealed up tight, no way for dust from the camera area to work its way to the proximity sensor. So what’s causing proximity sensor problems for users? Your guess is as good as ours at this point.
    Thanks though.
    03-09-2013 06:22 PM
    What updates? I have a 920 on AT&T and didn't get any phone updates today or recently.
    Nothing from MS, just "app" updates from Nokia to the settings, etc.
    03-09-2013 06:23 PM
    Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 920 - Nokia Support Discussions

They seem to have the same issues. Blow air on top of the the phone.
    03-09-2013 07:20 PM
    Casual, not causal relation. Proximity sensor craps out for many reasons, somewhat randomly.
    03-09-2013 07:43 PM
    Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 920 - Nokia Support Discussions

They seem to have the same issues. Blow air on top of the the phone.
    I'm certainly willing to give it a try.

Thanks,
    03-09-2013 08:59 PM
    Are these the updates that you installed?

wp_ss_20130309_0001.png

Has anyone installed these without any issues?
    03-10-2013 01:47 AM
    I have installed every update so far without any issues. The only issue, that I resolved is with the Portico update - when I put Keep WiFi alive setting to ON, the phone freezes. So I have put that to OFF and do not have any more trouble.
    03-10-2013 05:04 AM
    Are these the updates that you installed?

Has anyone installed these without any issues?
    Those were the ones. The phone seems to be working without issue at the moment, though I have not made any calls yet today, so I cannot tell you for sure.
    03-10-2013 02:23 PM
    I am running into the same issue since this update. I highly doubt its dust related. My issues started right after the update.
    jwinch2 likes this.
    03-11-2013 10:23 AM
    do you have screen protector covering the area right of FFC? mine worked ok for a while and all of a sudden the screen goes all back during calls, I cut off the screen protector covering the proximity sensor problem solved and never came back
    03-11-2013 11:46 AM
    I'm not using a screen protector. If the screen wouldn't come on then go back off, I'd be more inclined to think its not related to the software issue.
    03-11-2013 11:52 AM
    No issues... I did those updates when they were first available and didn't have those issues.
    03-11-2013 12:00 PM
    Are these the same updates that came out a few days ago?

If so I already got them and they did not cause any issues.
    03-11-2013 12:07 PM
    I applied these updates when they came out and have not had any issues.
    jwinch2 likes this.
    03-11-2013 01:59 PM
    updates? QR codes? :D

edit. nvm. think I got all these already.
    03-11-2013 02:17 PM
    do you have screen protector covering the area right of FFC? mine worked ok for a while and all of a sudden the screen goes all back during calls, I cut off the screen protector covering the proximity sensor problem solved and never came back
    This is what I just found, bought the official screen protectors and they cover the sensor just above the "N" in Nokia. Peeled it away and works fine. Will get screen protectors sent back tomorrow for refund. They don't even fit too well (I have bubbles and dust everywhere) even after applying numerous times. May just get a Zagg, they are expensive though. Any other alternatives (apart from cutting the protector so it doesn't cover the sensor)?
    03-20-2013 10:24 AM