03-14-2013 11:00 PM
79 1234
tools
    I don't think it is the fact that we have so many complaints. I would say either moderators can't speed things up or they just aren't that moderating enough. Yesterday I found someone talking about Skype and WP8 saga. Yes the same old Skype beta on Windows and why full feature packed on iOS type thread. I was going to first reply in detail but then couldn't. I just did the search myself and found about 10 threads talking the EXACT same thing or slightly similar in couple of cases. Gave the guy those links. Now that thread is still open so that becomes 11th thread talking about how someone isn't happy with Skype and WP8. Technically there are 11 OPs that will easily fill up the board (20 threads a page?) with Skype issue.

Now this is the same with most of the issues on WP8 and Lumia 920 forums. I am not sure about other forums, but these two seem to be the most popular forums. If the mods got reports on time and they could act swiftly then we would have just 1 thread per issue. We currently don't have 10,000 issues but 10 issues with 1000 threads each! That makes the forum depressing. All those "I love my Lumia" posts are buried to death by every new member being allowed to create one more thread for the same thought.

At times I've tried to ask site admins/mods if these sort of bandwidth usage for some reason might be commercially beneficial to WPC. Other than commercial benefit and lack of user support for mods, I can't see why these complaints can't be in a huge thread or 10 of such threads so other threads with nicer things can breathe.

Do we really need to have a thread for each user with each of his problem?
    +1
    03-10-2013 02:07 PM
    I don't think it is the fact that we have so many complaints. I would say either moderators can't speed things up or they just aren't that moderating enough. Yesterday I found someone talking about Skype and WP8 saga. Yes the same old Skype beta on Windows and why full feature packed on iOS type thread. I was going to first reply in detail but then couldn't. I just did the search myself and found about 10 threads talking the EXACT same thing or slightly similar in couple of cases. Gave the guy those links. Now that thread is still open so that becomes 11th thread talking about how someone isn't happy with Skype and WP8. Technically there are 11 OPs that will easily fill up the board (20 threads a page?) with Skype issue.

Now this is the same with most of the issues on WP8 and Lumia 920 forums. I am not sure about other forums, but these two seem to be the most popular forums. If the mods got reports on time and they could act swiftly then we would have just 1 thread per issue. We currently don't have 10,000 issues but 10 issues with 1000 threads each! That makes the forum depressing. All those "I love my Lumia" posts are buried to death by every new member being allowed to create one more thread for the same thought.

At times I've tried to ask site admins/mods if these sort of bandwidth usage for some reason might be commercially beneficial to WPC. Other than commercial benefit and lack of user support for mods, I can't see why these complaints can't be in a huge thread or 10 of such threads so other threads with nicer things can breathe.

Do we really need to have a thread for each user with each of his problem?
    Right, I'm going to yank this one. While what you're saying makes sense, it is our belief that each and every person's mileage will vary. They have varying experiences, and as such, we need to allow them to share their experiences. While for example with Skype, there is probably a solution for every problem listed, with others, there might not be. Someone might try every solution posted in other threads about the same thing, and none of it work for them. Do we make them join in with an existing thread that doesn't help them, or do we let them start a new thread so they can get help tailored to them?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-10-2013 03:19 PM
    I have not found one problem other then a lack of apps and some possible camera improvements via software. This is the best phone I have ever owned I even rate it better then any iPhone I've owned. Its got some software enhancements needed but for 99 bucks? Its the best deal I've ever received.
    I'm kinda happy with the apps I have tried so far. Most of them free and have been very good....but then again, I've come from Symbian where tumbleweeds roam the Nokia Store.

My main complaints are with WP8 itself. It seems to be missing many basic functions and conveniences. I think it look goods and the 920 runs extremely well (ignoring the battery concerns) so I hope updates tidy up the issues asap.
    Pepe D Vegas and Pepe D Vegas like this.
    03-10-2013 03:35 PM
    LOL when you sell far less windows phones like htc has and your forum only has 14,000 posts vs the lumias sales and 74,000 posts I would expect the 8x to have fewer complaints....lol fewer people are using an 8x :D

I went through a few 920s. Dust problems. I moved to the 8x and am very happy. Far fewer complaints on that forum, too.

Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-10-2013 04:02 PM
    Right, I'm going to yank this one. While what you're saying makes sense, it is our belief that each and every person's mileage will vary. They have varying experiences, and as such, we need to allow them to share their experiences. While for example with Skype, there is probably a solution for every problem listed, with others, there might not be. Someone might try every solution posted in other threads about the same thing, and none of it work for them. Do we make them join in with an existing thread that doesn't help them, or do we let them start a new thread so they can get help tailored to them?
    There hasn't been one thread where the same question hasn't been answered in a different way, just by rewording the answer. I mean stuff like Xbox music is a disaster or Why cant I make playlists or My battery dies xyz app resolved it, my phone started rebooting after I had a Becks by the sea, My experiences with Lumia on mount Tibititit, etc.

Most of such threads are no novelty at all! They keep piling up as separate thread and its the quantity of fart apps that makes an app store worthless, not their quality!

If a thread comes with unique problem or solution then, go ahead and even sticky it e.g. That Lumia 920 dust one. But after that there were three separate threads asking "so how do we solve this?" - I bet in that dust thread at least 10 users have suggested THE only solution that works. Don't see why 3 other users should male their own threads to say "I have dust on FFC, how to remove it?"
    despertador and Davey123 like this.
    03-10-2013 04:06 PM
    actually this forum scared the **** out of me but I still bought my lumia 920 and doesn't have any of the problems. Sure I have few complaints, one of the more major one is not getting facebook message consistently...sometimes I miss some msg for no reason at all and I never got it on the phone anotherone is yet again facebook related....I cannot like pictures in the people hub...which i find idiotic but i think this problem is related to facebook but the end result is the same.

In short, only minor software issues nothing hardware related yet.

Oh ya another thing, battery life is great 90% of the time, i did notice sometimes apps just don't close properly and phone runs hot and drains reallly quickly so i restart the phone and it cools down. Once again not lumia's problem, software related okay but it's Nokia's software (city lense app doens't close proeperly sometimes).
    03-10-2013 04:31 PM
    It's true that after the initial buzz most forums start to see more and more 'help me' and complaint threads, but this forum and another Lumia 920 forum seem to have far more of these types of threads than other forums that I visit. I've used the 'squeaky wheel' argument a bunch, as have others, but L920 forums seem to have a disproportionate number of squeaky wheels, lol.
    Your instincts aren't wrong. I've noticed this as well, and I figure the cause is basically this - Nokia's plants currently have some QC issues they need to iron out. As it stands, I've noticed a disproportionately higher number of problems posted here than there should be, and where there's smoke there's usually fire. Not saying the 920 is a bad phone. I am saying Nokia's plants are letting a lot of faulty 920's leave the production lines and that's worrisome for someone who might be considering one. Nobody wants to play roulette when they buy a device
    03-10-2013 06:33 PM
    Every complaint threads that is made makes me sad and god kills a kitten at the same time :<

SAVE THE KITTENS!
    rockstarzzz likes this.
    03-10-2013 06:36 PM
    Lumia 920 is a rushed out product thus lots of problems , Yet I wouldn't trade it for any other phone , the things it offers are worth it for me.
    03-10-2013 07:07 PM
    Your instincts aren't wrong. I've noticed this as well, and I figure the cause is basically this - Nokia's plants currently have some QC issues they need to iron out. As it stands, I've noticed a disproportionately higher number of problems posted here than there should be, and where there's smoke there's usually fire. Not saying the 920 is a bad phone. I am saying Nokia's plants are letting a lot of faulty 920's leave the production lines and that's worrisome for someone who might be considering one. Nobody wants to play roulette when they buy a device
    Although I haven't seen any kind of pattern to the complaints thus far, hopefully the comparison that you made to playing roulette (great analogy) applies to older runs and is now becoming a thing of the past. I have nothing to base this on, other than my own wishes for the device, brand and platform. I really hope that ongoing QI has made for better devices and less variability in quality in more recent runs, and that this continues to be the case for future runs (including the various new colour options being rolled out). This is too good of a device -- and, IMO, too important for the reputation of WP8 -- to have a black cloud of quality issues hanging over it.
    03-10-2013 09:57 PM
    Yeah, I certainly wouldn't expect perfection. Phones are all kinds complicated and for any phone to be flawless would be a miracle (it would happen in place of someone finding the cure for cancer, so it better be one **** of a phone!). I had an iPhone 3s from work a few years ago, a Palm Pre, and now I have the Titan II. Each one has had its problems (my Palm Pre navigates itself and calls people in the middle of the night), but I like my Titan the best and can see past its flaws. I started looking toward the 920 because it seems like HTC forgot they made my phone after I bought it and I feel like the Nokia wouldn't do that to me. By the time my current contract expires Nokia will be releasing the Lumia 925,000,000, so I have some time to contemplate which phone to get.Either way ill stick with my WP.
    I don't think Nokia would forget about you, however if MS makes a WP Surface, and start competing with Nokia, things could go south. However, i don't think that's going to happen and I am buying a Nokia Lumia 920 hopefully tomorrow.
    03-10-2013 10:11 PM
    Was playing with one today, the day my lumia 900 dies I'll be purchasing one. Even after reading peoples complaints, the build quality is undoubtable when experience it in store, so hopefully its only the software that's goes south, which can be fixed later on.
    03-11-2013 06:04 AM
    i got a lumia 920, and i just love it... all the apps i need for work are there, lync can't login, but that is the only issue i've, the rest, a bit of quirks here and there but nothing wrong or that a small update could fix.
    03-11-2013 06:11 AM
    I have a Titan II and am lacking in the area of WP8 niftiness. Since the Lumia 920 is the current flagship WP8 phone, I wanted to check out the forums to see what people had to say about it. It looks like the entire front page is complaints about the phone not working for one reason or another. I know that people with issues generally speak the loudest, but wow. Is the phone buggy from the start or has it got to do with the recent updates? Is the 8x a safer bet?
    I think in general people love their Lumia 920, me included, but are extremely dissapointed with the poor build/design quality in certain areas:

1) Creaking and clicking makes it feel cheap
    2) Dust in camera/proximity sensor due to obvious design failures
    3) General and ongoing proximity sensor failure
    4) Extremely scratchable screen and body
    03-11-2013 06:44 AM
    These dust problems baffle me. I. Might be the lucky one but I've found no trouble at all.
    I'd say your just not as picky as the rest of us. I can live with my phone creaking and clicking but I fell I shouldn't have to with the premium price I paid for it. As much as I despise apple, their build quality is rock solid. Moving from an iPhone 4 that was so solid to a Lumia 920 which looks and feels just as high quality but then lets out a high pitched "samsung-esque" body squeal is extremely disheartening.

My wife and I are on our 5th and 6th lumia 920 now and still have creaking and clicking. Nokia still maintains its a defect but I think its just design and manufacturing tolerance. They can't fix it now.
    Pepe D Vegas likes this.
    03-11-2013 06:47 AM
    Ewwwww that's not good at all!! I might not be as picky hehe I've just has so many iPhones and adroids to be bored I guess windows 8 is fresher and my honeymoon period ain't over. I could also be lucky and have gotten a non defective one that can happen too hehe
    03-11-2013 07:53 AM
    I'd say your just not as picky as the rest of us. I can live with my phone creaking and clicking but I fell I shouldn't have to with the premium price I paid for it. As much as I despise apple, their build quality is rock solid. Moving from an iPhone 4 that was so solid to a Lumia 920 which looks and feels just as high quality but then lets out a high pitched "samsung-esque" body squeal is extremely disheartening.

My wife and I are on our 5th and 6th lumia 920 now and still have creaking and clicking. Nokia still maintains its a defect but I think its just design and manufacturing tolerance. They can't fix it now.
    Some people are just way to picky with their phones...

You say your wife and you are on your 5th and 6th lumias... I'm guessing that's respectively... That's eleven lumias total...

You're telling me that out of 11 phones.. ALL of them are creaking and clicking? Well stop squeezing the bloody thing. Obviously if you squeeze it up roughly it will creak and click.
    03-11-2013 07:55 AM
    I think in general people love their Lumia 920, me included, but are extremely dissapointed with the poor build/design quality in certain areas:

1) Creaking and clicking makes it feel cheap
    2) Dust in camera/proximity sensor due to obvious design failures
    3) General and ongoing proximity sensor failure
    4) Extremely scratchable screen and body
    I can not agree with that after over 3 months use .... it is still the same phone, never changed or repaired ... but of course, some people has troubles with their phone and some people are just super picky ... well, in any case, I am very happy with my red Lumia 920 ...
    03-11-2013 08:02 AM
    i have this phone, it is great, my fist one had issues with shutting down, did a warranty exchange, current phone is great, except for few bugs/issues like
    1) dust accumulating in front facing camera, i don't use front facing camera much.
    2) some issues with Bluetooth, if i connect a Bluetooth headset, then connect headset with audio jack, songs play fine on head set but when i switch from audio jack to Bluetooth (after disconnecting audio jack) the song plays fine on phone but cant hear on my Bluetooth headset.
    3) Camera is great for videos, good pictures in dark, OK pictures in daylight, especially portraits.
    4) great GPS, option to download maps is awesome feature, can use GPS when there is no signal.
    5) awesome screen, great battery life too, depending on how you use it.
    6) not great in managing background applications, i did set my FB to run in background but it doesn't, it says next time when i use this app this should run in the back ground, i tried to start the app go back & see the settings it is not running.

I have not found one problem other then a lack of apps and some possible camera improvements via software. This is the best phone I have ever owned I even rate it better then any iPhone I've owned. Its got some software enhancements needed but for 99 bucks? Its the best deal I've ever received.
    Pepe D Vegas likes this.
    03-11-2013 09:06 AM
    I haven't even had the dust problems. or the battery problems. My 920 has frozen twice, easily reset with the down volume/lock button combination (once I was able to find out how to do it...). Sometimes the live tiles don't update for a while and I do restart the phone then and it fixes it.
    03-11-2013 09:39 AM
    Personally, and I don't care what anyone says, I maintain the flagship WP8 at the moment is the 8X. Despite is gorgeous design and great specs, it seams to be the most solid phone both software and hardware wise. Some people are complaining about the matt finish coming off but it seams HTC have solved that in there recent hardware revisions. Its a better quality device that the 920, feels it too. The Lumia 920 like all Nokias now are not proper Nokias. They are made in China by foxconn, where how many they can make in a day prioritises the quality of each one they make. Such a shame.
    03-11-2013 11:05 AM
    LOL when you sell far less windows phones like htc has and your forum only has 14,000 posts vs the lumias sales and 74,000 posts I would expect the 8x to have fewer complaints....lol fewer people are using an 8x :D
    Let me clarify then: the ratio of complaint threads to non-complaint threads is lower for the 8x. And to show how smart I am, I add a "lol".
    03-11-2013 11:56 AM
    I've always been a fan of HTC, having previously owned the Aria. I favor their version of Android over what most others have done. However, software support beyond the core customization is weak. They tend to not offer apps of substance and more importantly, they're terrible with long term support. Look at the complaints people have had about the One X being stuck at Android 4.0 for so long. Also, the fact that Sense 5 seems to take so much like Windows Phone rubs me the wrong way. But without question, the 8X is a nice phone.

As for the Lumia 920, I think some of it's problems have been overblown. My own experience, reinforced by what others have said, is that battery life improves dramatically with time. It's certainly been the case and at this point I'm getting better battery life than my friend's 8X. The dust on the front camera is more of an issue because it's something that will only get worse with time. But as I see it, while certainly not desirable, it's luck of the draw. HTC could have just as easily have had a similar design or manufacturing defect.

The flip side here is that Nokia is providing extensive support on the software side. I've been incredibly impressed by everything they've done. They seem committed on a level few can match. They're going a long way to earn my loyalty and trust. But at the end of the day you can't really go wrong with either company.
    Oliver Newell likes this.
    03-11-2013 01:12 PM
    They are made in China by foxconn, where how many they can make in a day prioritises the quality of each one they make. Such a shame.
    Ehmm.... you playing an early April fools joke?

The 920's for North America are produced in Mexico. Most others are produced in Beijing, China. Production of some of Nokia's earliest Lumias were outsourced (Nokia was in the process of restructuring and retooling), but that is completely different today. Almost all production occurs inhouse in Nokia's own factories.
    03-11-2013 08:23 PM
    That's right Nokia 920 satisfied customers step up!
    03-11-2013 09:21 PM
79 1234