This forum is kind of depressing

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
The 920 is the best phone I have ever used. I personally haven't had a single problem with it. I bough it after using an 8x for 2 months and it's been so worth it.

Yeah this forum and even the reddit windows phone subreddit is depressing at times. I mainly come here to try and help people with minor problem and to take a look at some of the fantastic pics people take with this phone.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
You can spin it however you want so you can sleep at night, but the wp8 OS, apps and hardware fall well short of a functional ecosystem. Right now anyway. I know it is a new OS, but I'm sorry, its not even close to functionally complete. Their are gaps and bugs all over. The complaints you see on these forums are accurate. You may not experience them and you don't have to acknowledge them, but it doesn't mean they aren't there. MS put out an unfinished, buggy, unstable product. I'm not going to praise them for that.

zc1

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
You can spin it however you want so you can sleep at night, but the wp8 OS, apps and hardware fall well short of a functional ecosystem. Right now anyway. I know it is a new OS, but I'm sorry, its not even close to functionally complete. Their are gaps and bugs all over. The complaints you see on these forums are accurate. You may not experience them and you don't have to acknowledge them, but it doesn't mean they aren't there. MS put out an unfinished, buggy, unstable product. I'm not going to praise them for that.
You edited your comment after my initial response. I wasn't just ignoring the rest of your comment.

I don't think anyone here is trying to argue that it's a complete OS. Every OS is a work in progress. What one does really well, another may do really poorly and vice versa. Yes, WP8 has holes in it; yes the L920 is not a perfect device. Nobody is arguing that. Depending on what your needs and tolerances are, though, what are gaping holes for your purposes might be minor inconveniences for someone else's. For example, I use PDF files a lot (> 200 files on my other devices, and some have >600 pages). I can't annotate them with my Lumia as I can with my other devices. For me that's a big deal, but I *still* love my Lumia. Until someone releases a *real* PDF reader I'll just use another device when I need to work with PDF files.

Additionally, nobody has suggested that the complaints aren't real. I think you're reading too much into the comments. You've taken a clear stand against the OS and hardware. Others have just as much right to take a stand in defense of the same. Nobody's 'right' or 'wrong.' It's just a matter of varying experiences. I respect your opinion/experience. You can choose to respect or reject mine as you please.

The OPs point was that the forum is overwhelmingly negative, that's all.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree that sometimes depressing, but lucky that we have an amazing phone to balance all that ... ;)

OS is a great one too, but of course, MS has still space to improve it and they willl, even a little slowly ... ;)

I flashed a new 1232.5957.1308.0017 fw - it is very stable, I like it .... so the improvements are on the way ... :)

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I've always thought that these "depressing topics" are the purpose of these forums, to help each other out with complaints and technical issues.

But other than that, you have a point - but we're in 1st generation of Windows Phone 8, and things can only get better!

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Ya, sorry. My fat fingers hit post a little bit early.

I understand both sides of it. And I'm not against OS, just its current form and function. I am completely satisfied with Surface RT and Win8. I use what works and wp8 doesn't work. I want WP8 to succeed. Common UI across platforms is a big part of what I've been looking for and wp is the weak link. Wp8 is step backwards in so many aspects from even BB and MS doesn't appear to be in any hurry to rectify the situation. I just can't recommend wp8 to anybody given its current condition.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm one of the lucky ones that have managed to dodge all the different issues people have here. I love the camera in the phone, get two to three days of battery life, have had no overheating or sync problems, no scratches or cracks don't use the front camera ever, so don't even know if I have dust under it, have never had random crashes or reboots, am happy with the size and weight, and generally just love this phone more than any other that I've had. I stick around on the forum because I feel the phone needs vocal advocates and sometimes people post interesting ideas, reviews on accessories, or pointers to stuff I may have missed.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it is the fact that we have so many complaints. I would say either moderators can't speed things up or they just aren't that moderating enough. Yesterday I found someone talking about Skype and WP8 saga. Yes the same old Skype beta on Windows and why full feature packed on iOS type thread. I was going to first reply in detail but then couldn't. I just did the search myself and found about 10 threads talking the EXACT same thing or slightly similar in couple of cases. Gave the guy those links. Now that thread is still open so that becomes 11th thread talking about how someone isn't happy with Skype and WP8. Technically there are 11 OPs that will easily fill up the board (20 threads a page?) with Skype issue.

Now this is the same with most of the issues on WP8 and Lumia 920 forums. I am not sure about other forums, but these two seem to be the most popular forums. If the mods got reports on time and they could act swiftly then we would have just 1 thread per issue. We currently don't have 10,000 issues but 10 issues with 1000 threads each! That makes the forum depressing. All those "I love my Lumia" posts are buried to death by every new member being allowed to create one more thread for the same thought.

At times I've tried to ask site admins/mods if these sort of bandwidth usage for some reason might be commercially beneficial to WPC. Other than commercial benefit and lack of user support for mods, I can't see why these complaints can't be in a huge thread or 10 of such threads so other threads with nicer things can breathe.

Do we really need to have a thread for each user with each of his problem?

+1

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it is the fact that we have so many complaints. I would say either moderators can't speed things up or they just aren't that moderating enough. Yesterday I found someone talking about Skype and WP8 saga. Yes the same old Skype beta on Windows and why full feature packed on iOS type thread. I was going to first reply in detail but then couldn't. I just did the search myself and found about 10 threads talking the EXACT same thing or slightly similar in couple of cases. Gave the guy those links. Now that thread is still open so that becomes 11th thread talking about how someone isn't happy with Skype and WP8. Technically there are 11 OPs that will easily fill up the board (20 threads a page?) with Skype issue.

Now this is the same with most of the issues on WP8 and Lumia 920 forums. I am not sure about other forums, but these two seem to be the most popular forums. If the mods got reports on time and they could act swiftly then we would have just 1 thread per issue. We currently don't have 10,000 issues but 10 issues with 1000 threads each! That makes the forum depressing. All those "I love my Lumia" posts are buried to death by every new member being allowed to create one more thread for the same thought.

At times I've tried to ask site admins/mods if these sort of bandwidth usage for some reason might be commercially beneficial to WPC. Other than commercial benefit and lack of user support for mods, I can't see why these complaints can't be in a huge thread or 10 of such threads so other threads with nicer things can breathe.

Do we really need to have a thread for each user with each of his problem?

Right, I'm going to yank this one. While what you're saying makes sense, it is our belief that each and every person's mileage will vary. They have varying experiences, and as such, we need to allow them to share their experiences. While for example with Skype, there is probably a solution for every problem listed, with others, there might not be. Someone might try every solution posted in other threads about the same thing, and none of it work for them. Do we make them join in with an existing thread that doesn't help them, or do we let them start a new thread so they can get help tailored to them?

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I have not found one problem other then a lack of apps and some possible camera improvements via software. This is the best phone I have ever owned I even rate it better then any iPhone I've owned. Its got some software enhancements needed but for 99 bucks? Its the best deal I've ever received.

I'm kinda happy with the apps I have tried so far. Most of them free and have been very good....but then again, I've come from Symbian where tumbleweeds roam the Nokia Store.

My main complaints are with WP8 itself. It seems to be missing many basic functions and conveniences. I think it look goods and the 920 runs extremely well (ignoring the battery concerns) so I hope updates tidy up the issues asap.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
LOL when you sell far less windows phones like htc has and your forum only has 14,000 posts vs the lumias sales and 74,000 posts I would expect the 8x to have fewer complaints....lol fewer people are using an 8x :D

I went through a few 920s. Dust problems. I moved to the 8x and am very happy. Far fewer complaints on that forum, too.

Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Right, I'm going to yank this one. While what you're saying makes sense, it is our belief that each and every person's mileage will vary. They have varying experiences, and as such, we need to allow them to share their experiences. While for example with Skype, there is probably a solution for every problem listed, with others, there might not be. Someone might try every solution posted in other threads about the same thing, and none of it work for them. Do we make them join in with an existing thread that doesn't help them, or do we let them start a new thread so they can get help tailored to them?
There hasn't been one thread where the same question hasn't been answered in a different way, just by rewording the answer. I mean stuff like Xbox music is a disaster or Why cant I make playlists or My battery dies xyz app resolved it, my phone started rebooting after I had a Becks by the sea, My experiences with Lumia on mount Tibititit, etc.

Most of such threads are no novelty at all! They keep piling up as separate thread and its the quantity of fart apps that makes an app store worthless, not their quality!

If a thread comes with unique problem or solution then, go ahead and even sticky it e.g. That Lumia 920 dust one. But after that there were three separate threads asking "so how do we solve this?" - I bet in that dust thread at least 10 users have suggested THE only solution that works. Don't see why 3 other users should male their own threads to say "I have dust on FFC, how to remove it?"

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
actually this forum scared the **** out of me but I still bought my lumia 920 and doesn't have any of the problems. Sure I have few complaints, one of the more major one is not getting facebook message consistently...sometimes I miss some msg for no reason at all and I never got it on the phone anotherone is yet again facebook related....I cannot like pictures in the people hub...which i find idiotic but i think this problem is related to facebook but the end result is the same.

In short, only minor software issues nothing hardware related yet.

Oh ya another thing, battery life is great 90% of the time, i did notice sometimes apps just don't close properly and phone runs hot and drains reallly quickly so i restart the phone and it cools down. Once again not lumia's problem, software related okay but it's Nokia's software (city lense app doens't close proeperly sometimes).

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
It's true that after the initial buzz most forums start to see more and more 'help me' and complaint threads, but this forum and another Lumia 920 forum seem to have far more of these types of threads than other forums that I visit. I've used the 'squeaky wheel' argument a bunch, as have others, but L920 forums seem to have a disproportionate number of squeaky wheels, lol.

Your instincts aren't wrong. I've noticed this as well, and I figure the cause is basically this - Nokia's plants currently have some QC issues they need to iron out. As it stands, I've noticed a disproportionately higher number of problems posted here than there should be, and where there's smoke there's usually fire. Not saying the 920 is a bad phone. I am saying Nokia's plants are letting a lot of faulty 920's leave the production lines and that's worrisome for someone who might be considering one. Nobody wants to play roulette when they buy a device

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920 is a rushed out product thus lots of problems , Yet I wouldn't trade it for any other phone , the things it offers are worth it for me.

zc1

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Your instincts aren't wrong. I've noticed this as well, and I figure the cause is basically this - Nokia's plants currently have some QC issues they need to iron out. As it stands, I've noticed a disproportionately higher number of problems posted here than there should be, and where there's smoke there's usually fire. Not saying the 920 is a bad phone. I am saying Nokia's plants are letting a lot of faulty 920's leave the production lines and that's worrisome for someone who might be considering one. Nobody wants to play roulette when they buy a device
Although I haven't seen any kind of pattern to the complaints thus far, hopefully the comparison that you made to playing roulette (great analogy) applies to older runs and is now becoming a thing of the past. I have nothing to base this on, other than my own wishes for the device, brand and platform. I really hope that ongoing QI has made for better devices and less variability in quality in more recent runs, and that this continues to be the case for future runs (including the various new colour options being rolled out). This is too good of a device -- and, IMO, too important for the reputation of WP8 -- to have a black cloud of quality issues hanging over it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05