Can Fast Car Charging damage battery life?

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Now.. which part of my statement that I'm contradicting myself?
What makes you think that the charger cannot supply the maximum current?
Just try it yourself,
Plug in 1 A wall charger to your phone, and compare it with the 2 A charger and 500 mA USB 2.0 charging and see which one charge faster.

the whole point of a 'fast charger' is to have higher amps. so ya a 2 amp will work faster. i charge my current 9900 (blackberry) with my playbook charger and it chargers so much faster. my battery however, is garbage now because fast charging destroys the battery long term.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I think using a 2A charger won't have any difference compared to the 1A nokia charger. sure the charger can deliver 2 amps, but the phone is probably configured to only take 1 amp. i'm pretty sure the phone will not take any advantage of 2A charger

hahaha it would charge faster. assuming the phone can take more than 1A that is. the higher the amp the faster the charge. same principle in the 'quick charge' stations for electric cars now a days.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
"The circuitry is what determines what the draw is and it has been designed to use a designated amount of Amps. So those "many circuitry" between the battery and the power source ARE what regulate what the battery needs. This applies to nearly anything with a battery. Engineers aren't stupid."
Isn't that what I said earlier?

I did not say that it will pump out 1 A into anything. I said it is meant to deliver 1 A of maximum current. Which means, when the circuitry in the charger detects that the battery is in low level (by monitoring the voltage level), it will supply the maximum current it can supply to the battery. Until it detects the battery has reached 70-80% level, then it will slowly reducing the current it supplies to the battery (2nd stage of charging).

Sorry OP for out of topic a bit :grincry:
Hope the explanation from us can be helpful :D

are you kidding? do you have a background in physics? i seem to suspect that you don't. if you did, then you would understand that there is a difference between series & parallel circuits. there is also a difference between DC (directional current) & AC (alternating current). most places use AC. do you know why? because the voltage/amps aren't changing among a circuit. example is your house. if i have 6 things plugged into 1 outlet (with a power cord of course) or 1 thing in 1 power outlet, the outage from the outlet will ALWAYS be 120 (in america, 240 in the rest of the world i believe). if the circuit dictates the volts/amps then you would have to do endless math to see what you can plug into the series to get the right volts/amps to the device.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Is English your first language?
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express
Don't change the subject. Can't point which statement that I'm contradicting myself? If you can show it, then I'll apologize if I made a wrong statement.

are you kidding? do you have a background in physics? i seem to suspect that you don't. if you did, then you would understand that there is a difference between series & parallel circuits. there is also a difference between DC (directional current) & AC (alternating current). most places use AC. do you know why? because the voltage/amps aren't changing among a circuit. example is your house. if i have 6 things plugged into 1 outlet (with a power cord of course) or 1 thing in 1 power outlet, the outage from the outlet will ALWAYS be 120 (in america, 240 in the rest of the world i believe). if the circuit dictates the volts/amps then you would have to do endless math to see what you can plug into the series to get the right volts/amps to the device.

Hmm.. assuming is very dangerous. None of your explanation has anything to do with what I mentioned. We are talking about current not voltage.
But just to enlighten you, voltage in your house can change. For example, if you're in America, the standard household voltage will be 120 V, but if you use a lot of high power devices, the voltage will drop. So it won't always be 120 V. Unless you install a Voltage Regulator in your house, then it will maintain the voltage at 120 V.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
If English isn't you're first language then I'll take the time to explain. Otherwise, meh.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Don't change the subject. Can't point which statement that I'm contradicting myself? If you can show it, then I'll apologize if I made a wrong statement.

Hmm.. assuming is very dangerous. None of your explanation has anything to do with what I mentioned. We are talking about current not voltage.
But just to enlighten you, voltage in your house can change. For example, if you're in America, the standard household voltage will be 120 V, but if you use a lot of high power devices, the voltage will drop. So it won't always be 120 V. Unless you install a Voltage Regulator in your house, then it will maintain the voltage at 120 V.

my man, stop talking while you're ahead of your self. "So those "many circuitry" between the battery and the power source ARE what regulate what the battery needs" hence my comment about series and parallel circuits and stuff. you either don't understand english, or that text was beyond your level of comprehension. you're correct about the voltage dropping in america. that's not due to stress in your house. it's due to the power transformer at what ever place you get electricity from. i can plug everything in my house on 1 plug and they WILL all get 120 V.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Exactly, if the charge rate is too high, it will put too much stress on the battery. Hence, the reduce lifetime.
For storage of the Lithium based battery, it is true. The battery must not be fully charged, charge it at around 40 % if the battery is going to be stored for quite some time.
However, it does not need to be drain and recharge often. Lithium does not have "memory effect". The purpose is just to calibrate the battery reading for the OS to read. As draining the Lithium-based battery, will also put too much stress on the battery. The best practice is too charge whenever you can. We don't need to wait until battery reach low level to charge.
Draining and Recharging is only useful for NiMH battery as that type of battery has "memory effect". It needs to be drained completely to know where is the low level and then fully charge it to know the top level.

I wasn't referring to the memory effect. Lithium Ion and LiPo batteries will work best and have greater life if you never fully discharge them and do not overcharge them, ie keep them plugged in all the time. They need shallow discharges and charges for maximum lifespan. This is not always feasible however and there really is nothing wrong with leaving them charging overnight. I have seen so many laptop batteries killed in less than a year because people never let them run off the battery and current phones are no different. when you "fast charge" you will generate more heat in the battery and that will decrease it's lifespan I promise you.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
If English isn't you're first language then I'll take the time to explain. Otherwise, meh.
It's ok, if you don't want to explain.

my man, stop talking while you're ahead of your self. "So those "many circuitry" between the battery and the power source ARE what regulate what the battery needs" hence my comment about series and parallel circuits and stuff. you either don't understand english, or that text was beyond your level of comprehension. you're correct about the voltage dropping in america. that's not due to stress in your house. it's due to the power transformer at what ever place you get electricity from. i can plug everything in my house on 1 plug and they WILL all get 120 V.
I'm sorry if my english level is too hard for your to understand.
Well.. it's ok if you don't agree with my statement. I am not asking you to agree with what I wrote. And you have the right to say what's your opinion.

I wasn't referring to the memory effect. Lithium Ion and LiPo batteries will work best and have greater life if you never fully discharge them and do not overcharge them, ie keep them plugged in all the time. They need shallow discharges and charges for maximum lifespan. This is not always feasible however and there really is nothing wrong with leaving them charging overnight. I have seen so many laptop batteries killed in less than a year because people never let them run off the battery and current phones are no different. when you "fast charge" you will generate more heat in the battery and that will decrease it's lifespan I promise you.

Exactly. Charging too fast will cause the battery to heat up, and it will decrease the battery's life.
I'm sorry, when I wrote about the draining and recharging, I wasn't referring the memory effect with your statement. I was just adding additional statement from my perspective.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I know there have have been many threads on the battery topic, but i couldnt really found an answer to the follow issue. I recently got a Satechi 2A car charger with an"quick charge" adapter - Satechi ST-2412 Car Lighter USB Charger Adapter with Smart Converter for iPad 2, iPhone 4, Android Phones, Samsung Galaxy Tab, BlackBerry Playbook, HTC Flyer. The adapter is in fact enabling the cable to act as "Charge only", instead of data & charge. The results are quite spectacular - I get a rate of about 10% per 10 minutes of charging. Moreover, i can use Drive+ and stream music over LTE and phone is still charging on positive (charge intake is higher than consumption). However, I'm noticing a decrease in battery life..., dont have exact numbers yet...but just a general feeling. Also, seems that wireless charging is slower than before. I used to be able to charge the phone in about 2 hours. Now, i kept it about 1.5 hours and went from 40% to only 80%.

Any ideas? Should i refrain from using the car charger?..or just keep it to when i really need it.

You can't 'chose' to charge your phone at a certain amperage. The newer USB 3.0 spec calls for 2.1 amps, which larger devices such as the iPad require to be able to charge at all. Plugging an iPad into a 1 amp port will never get it to charge.

The device (iPad, Lumia, etc.) has built in circuitry/logic based on the USB standard and will draw the correct amount of power that it needs to be able to charge and also maintain the charge once the battery is full. If it charges quicker on a 2 amp port, that's what I would use.

As long as you are plugging into a USB port, don't worry about it.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
It's ok, if you don't want to explain.

I'm sorry if my english level is too hard for your to understand.
Well.. it's ok if you don't agree with my statement. I am not asking you to agree with what I wrote. And you have the right to say what's your opinion.

Exactly. Charging too fast will cause the battery to heat up, and it will decrease the battery's life.
I'm sorry, when I wrote about the draining and recharging, I wasn't referring the memory effect with your statement. I was just adding additional statement from my perspective.

i don't agree with your statements because they don't follow science. it's just your made up believes that you think are right. good day to you sir.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb