Playing podcasts on the Lumia 920

Onerunjunior

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I finally took the plunge and have been using my new 920 for about a week now, and I have a very frustrating problem. Podcasts work fine, and I can subscribe to them with no problems. My issue is that I'm wanting to listen to a podcast called "We're Alive" and the episodes aren't very long. I can't figure out how to get the media player to continuously play them, nor can I figure out how to add them to a playlist to try and accomplish the same thing. The media player in Windows Phone 8 is utter garbage compared to the one in iOS, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to make it act like a media player that actually makes sense. Not being able to advance to the next podcast is driving me up the wall because I have to babysit the media player and manually advance to the next one by trolling through multiple screens to simply change to the next episode. How on earth do you get this thing to work in a way that makes sense??? Is there a way to make a playlist, and if there is will it actually advance to the next episode without being babysat? The media player is just terrible, (everything about media playback of any form is ridiculously dumb!:angry:) are there any alternatives that actually work, or are we stuck with this utterly useless app?

By the way, We're Alive is a fantastic podcast. Highly recommended!

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
When I am able to play a podcast from a subscription list, it will automatically play all of them, back to back to back. The problem is that > half the time I get an error that says this file can't be played on your phone. :angry:. I downloaded three episodes of this we're alive zombie thing and none of them would play. this has probably been the thing that has give me the most trouble with wp8.

Onerunjunior

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
How did you get them to play back to back? Whenever I play them, it plays one episode then stops. Nothing I can find indicates that you can set them to keep going to the next one. Music plays fine (I guess), but podcasts absolutely have no option to keep going in order. If you can, I'd recommend finding a way to play those podcasts you downloaded already, We're Alive is incredibly good!

Onerunjunior

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to make a playlist. When one finishes the next one starts.
How dumb is that ??

No, they don't. Did you even read my post? When I hit play on one, it plays to the end, and then stops playing. If I want it to keep playing from the first one it works, but when that episode ends, playback stops. Yours may do that, but my phone absolutely will not. For whatever reason, it plays the one I select, then stops. I don't want it to do this, I want to tap play and have it keep going until I stop it, from the currently playing track to the next track. It won't do that, and there's no settings to make it do that. Why does music work that way, and podcasts don't? The media player is terrible. You can't scrub through a track, you only have really fast seek forward and back, no option to skip ahead by a set amount of time, and no way to select the next tracks quickly. I really like WP8, but the media player is absolutely horrible next to the music app on any iPod. With Xbox music being baked in, and that's pretty terrible too, they really need to get music/podcasts working at least as good as Apple does. Right now they are easily 10 years behind in the media playback front.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
If I have three podcasts on one I suscribe to and start the first playing it will play all three.

It plays just like a music album, from first to finish.
I hadn't tried it till just now.

Onerunjunior

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If I have three podcasts on one I suscribe to and start the first playing it will play all three.

It plays just like a music album, from first to finish.

Mine doesn't do that. It plays the one I select, then stops when it is done. I can't figure out why, I'm subbed to that podcast, and music does it just fine. I've deleted/unsubscribed from that podcast and re-downloaded episodes/re-subscribed and it simply won't do it. You're lucky yours works that way because mine absolutely doesn't.

EDIT: I just now finished listening to Episode 19 Part 2 and when it finished, playback stopped. Opening the app, or using the dropdown toast thingy works, but when I hit the next track button it only advances forward in the episode I just played. It won't go to the next episode, and hitting play only restarts the episode I just listened to. This is incredibly frustrating and stupid. Having to babysit a media player makes it completely useless!:angry:

Last edited:

mturner7472

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Instead of going into said podcast and selecting an episode to play, click the play icon on the thumbnail/picture of the podcast ... As long as your settings are to "play from oldest to newest", your episodes will play back to back to back without stopping.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I've not had a situation where I listen to podcasts back to back, granted I only listen to the WPCentral and Windows Developer Show podcasts... So I generally only have 1 at a time to listen to 😁

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Possibly something to do with the episodes being listed as newest first, but of course you play it back as oldest first? Can you rewind to the "previous" podcast?

Onerunjunior

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Instead of going into said podcast and selecting an episode to play, click the play icon on the thumbnail/picture of the podcast ... As long as your settings are to "play from oldest to newest", your episodes will play back to back to back without stopping.

Doesn't make a difference. The one I select plays, then stops. Hitting forward does nothing, hitting previous starts it over again.

EvilMM

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm the developer of podme. Sadly, podme has some bugs and I'm trying to fix the as fast as possible.
Perhabs you can help me. Just give me a hint, when podme crashes or what podme could do better.

@Onerunjunior: can you send me an email to info@prebeta.net. I would like to know which podcasts you have organized in a Group or which Podcasts stops playing.

Sometimes you will get the error "Unsupported Format". I don't know why, but this error only occures when running podme on Windows Phone 8. But WP7.5 and WP7.8 plays these episodes without any problems. I hope to fix this error soon.

Greetings,
Klaus

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium