After owning a white Lumia 920 for a week, here are my findings

matthew_b06

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I've been using a white NOKIA Lumia 920 for about a week now, and I thought I'd share my experience with other users who may be considering purchasing the phone. After determining my device has defects, I'll be sending it into NOKIA to have it replaced. There are some good and bad stuff I found with the 920, so let's start with the good.

Pros

- The screen on the phone is gorgeous
- The camera takes fantastic photos
- NOKIA's exclusive apps are useful
- For audio, the external speaker is plenty loud
- The phone ear piece is decent for phone calls
- Audio level for music is great with headphones
- Decent battery life

Cons

- My 920 has light leakage on the screen (some parts of the background aren't entirely black)
- On an angle, you can see light coming from under neath the screen
- The phone is fairly heavy compared to the competition
- The external speaker for phone calls is absolutely terrible
- My phone's display flickers on a daily basis, as if the refresh rate is slowing down
- There's light leakage between the phone's display and the unibody casing
- Whenever I open the phone's keyboard or phone dialer, there is a popping sound that comes from the speaker
- The phone's (plastic?) unibody casing feels cheap, and whenever I hold the phone or press down slightly on it I hear creaking and cracking

I've used the Lumia 710 as my old phone, and here's something that can't go un-noticed: Windows Phone 7.5 is faster than 8. I put my 710 and 920 side by side, and the 710 executes apps faster than my 920. Also, on the 920, I find that the animation of opening an app and switching between apps is fairly choppy/laggy every now and then. I've never had this issue on previous versions of Windows Phone. Also, when opening the camera settings/options, it's extremely slow and choppy.

I find it odd that a phone with a more powerful processor and an updated OS runs slower than a phone with a single core, outdated processor, and on Windows Phone 7.5. There are some nice additions with Windows Phone 8, but it doesn't feel as smooth as previous versions of Windows Phone, and kind of ruins the overall fluid expectations of the OS. Overall, I'm hoping a lot of the issues I faced are from my defected unit, so I'll keep you guys posted on my new phone. I've read a lot of threads where people talk about their phones rebooting, and I never had this issue on mine.

If you're a potential Lumia 920 owner and have any questions, feel free to ask. Also, if you're a current 920 owner, let's discuss your experience too. Do you think this phone saved NOKIA? I'm not too sure yet- I'm going to wait for my replacement unit. If it has the same issue, then NOKIA dropped the ball in their manufacturing process.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
That's got to be a defected device. First time I heard older phones being faster than the WP8 ones. And those other issues sound like a bad unit. Nothing to fear my friend!

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
faulty phone send it back , why post it here as well? there is a review thread at the top of the page that is a sticky??? mine doesn't have light leakage , doesn't creak , is fast and fluid , speaker phone works good for phone calls , screen is great

so nearly all your cons are because of a faulty device!!!!

Horizon_fall

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
The one thing that really stands out from your comments is the creaking. You shouldn't be getting that from the unibody casing.
I have a white lumia 920 too. I have also notice the old screen flicker and a sort of pop noise (even on silent) when I open up the VKB. Nothing major though.
My biggest bug bear is the dust that collects on the inside of the front facing camera and proximity sensor. I have already got through one can of compressed air ;-)

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
That's got to be a defected device. First time I heard older phones being faster than the WP8 ones. And those other issues sound like a bad unit. Nothing to fear my friend!

+1
I own 2 7.5 devices and my 920 opens apps easily 3x as fast...not even comparable.
The light flickering also lends itself to being defective...

Don't waste your time getting upset, just replace it with a new one

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
You'd almost have to think the phone is defective. I have a black matte Lumia and I don't havet ANY of these problems with mine. I really wish people wouldn't post this kind of stuff on here. If I had a phone like this, I'd simply exchange it. By putting this on here, you give the impression you think all Lumia 920's have these problems. If you had gotten two or three like this, THEN we can make assumptions about the Lumia as a whole.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
" My 920 has light leakage on the screen (some parts of the background aren't entirely black)"

OMG I hear this crap about almost every mobile device! This is not a $3000 THX certified plasma screen! My SO was complaining about this "light leakage" on a $90 Kindle Paperwhite and I was like OMG STFU!

sorry for the rant, just this kind of niggling is ridiculous, first world problems. I'd defend this complaint against any device, not just the 920. You are holding a device in your hand that has more computing power than the space shuttle, be happy with it!

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i own a black lumia and the only issue i have is a small amount of light leaking in the bottom left corner of the phone which doesnt really bother me. but aside from that all good in the hood over here.

DeZerT

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I got mine yesterday and my unit has light leak in the bottom left corner of the casing (minor), but what annoys me the most is the flickering. It's like a high frequency strobe, you see it mostly on grey/bright backgrounds. When brightness is in high it's insane, it gives me headache. By the way my device came preloaded with Portico, so I guess it's from the second batch of devices at least. Pretty annoying, this is NOT nitpicking, it's a BIG issue. Heading to the shop to get it replaced, I'll report back, wish me luck.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
as for speed the 920 is sooooo much faster than the 900. I remember taking a panorama on the 900 and having to wait (guess) 2-3 minutes for it to process. It's about 30 seconds or less on the 920. That's the only thing about the 900 I thought was too slow, so it's the main thing I noticed with the 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo