03-16-2013 11:37 AM
27 12
tools
    I've been using a white NOKIA Lumia 920 for about a week now, and I thought I'd share my experience with other users who may be considering purchasing the phone. After determining my device has defects, I'll be sending it into NOKIA to have it replaced. There are some good and bad stuff I found with the 920, so let's start with the good.

Pros

- The screen on the phone is gorgeous
    - The camera takes fantastic photos
    - NOKIA's exclusive apps are useful
    - For audio, the external speaker is plenty loud
    - The phone ear piece is decent for phone calls
    - Audio level for music is great with headphones
    - Decent battery life

Cons

- My 920 has light leakage on the screen (some parts of the background aren't entirely black)
    - On an angle, you can see light coming from under neath the screen
    - The phone is fairly heavy compared to the competition
    - The external speaker for phone calls is absolutely terrible
    - My phone's display flickers on a daily basis, as if the refresh rate is slowing down
    - There's light leakage between the phone's display and the unibody casing
    - Whenever I open the phone's keyboard or phone dialer, there is a popping sound that comes from the speaker
    - The phone's (plastic?) unibody casing feels cheap, and whenever I hold the phone or press down slightly on it I hear creaking and cracking

I've used the Lumia 710 as my old phone, and here's something that can't go un-noticed: Windows Phone 7.5 is faster than 8. I put my 710 and 920 side by side, and the 710 executes apps faster than my 920. Also, on the 920, I find that the animation of opening an app and switching between apps is fairly choppy/laggy every now and then. I've never had this issue on previous versions of Windows Phone. Also, when opening the camera settings/options, it's extremely slow and choppy.

I find it odd that a phone with a more powerful processor and an updated OS runs slower than a phone with a single core, outdated processor, and on Windows Phone 7.5. There are some nice additions with Windows Phone 8, but it doesn't feel as smooth as previous versions of Windows Phone, and kind of ruins the overall fluid expectations of the OS. Overall, I'm hoping a lot of the issues I faced are from my defected unit, so I'll keep you guys posted on my new phone. I've read a lot of threads where people talk about their phones rebooting, and I never had this issue on mine.

If you're a potential Lumia 920 owner and have any questions, feel free to ask. Also, if you're a current 920 owner, let's discuss your experience too. Do you think this phone saved NOKIA? I'm not too sure yet- I'm going to wait for my replacement unit. If it has the same issue, then NOKIA dropped the ball in their manufacturing process.
    Andyshine77 and Oliver Newell like this.
    03-12-2013 06:26 PM
    That's got to be a defected device. First time I heard older phones being faster than the WP8 ones. And those other issues sound like a bad unit. Nothing to fear my friend!
    Jazmac likes this.
    03-12-2013 06:31 PM
    faulty phone send it back , why post it here as well? there is a review thread at the top of the page that is a sticky??? mine doesn't have light leakage , doesn't creak , is fast and fluid , speaker phone works good for phone calls , screen is great

so nearly all your cons are because of a faulty device!!!!
    03-12-2013 06:45 PM
    The one thing that really stands out from your comments is the creaking. You shouldn't be getting that from the unibody casing.
    I have a white lumia 920 too. I have also notice the old screen flicker and a sort of pop noise (even on silent) when I open up the VKB. Nothing major though.
    My biggest bug bear is the dust that collects on the inside of the front facing camera and proximity sensor. I have already got through one can of compressed air ;-)
    03-12-2013 06:46 PM
    Has to be a defective device. Mine isn't slow at all, and is faster than my old HTC Arrive.
    03-12-2013 08:15 PM
    Replace it! Go go goooooo!
    03-12-2013 11:06 PM
    After owning a white Lumia 920 for 2 months now, here are my findings;

Pros
    -Everything
    03-12-2013 11:26 PM
    That's got to be a defected device. First time I heard older phones being faster than the WP8 ones. And those other issues sound like a bad unit. Nothing to fear my friend!
    +1
    I own 2 7.5 devices and my 920 opens apps easily 3x as fast...not even comparable.
    The light flickering also lends itself to being defective...

Don't waste your time getting upset, just replace it with a new one
    Laura Knotek and phatboy66 like this.
    03-12-2013 11:50 PM
    defects are not cons.
    03-13-2013 12:11 AM
    Lol did you get a replica Lumia 920? Casing feels cheap? LMFAO
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express
    03-13-2013 12:13 AM
    you might have gotten a fault phone. The first batch of lumia's have most of the problems and seems like yours came from there.
    03-13-2013 03:08 AM
    you might have gotten a fault phone. The first batch of lumia's have most of the problems and seems like yours came from there.
    Agreed ^_^
    03-13-2013 03:10 AM
    Definitely a faulty phone.
    03-13-2013 03:27 AM
    You'd almost have to think the phone is defective. I have a black matte Lumia and I don't havet ANY of these problems with mine. I really wish people wouldn't post this kind of stuff on here. If I had a phone like this, I'd simply exchange it. By putting this on here, you give the impression you think all Lumia 920's have these problems. If you had gotten two or three like this, THEN we can make assumptions about the Lumia as a whole.
    WinFan1 and Daylife like this.
    03-13-2013 08:45 AM
    I have a matt black 920 from o2 in the UK and so far as I can tell no faults found on it be it software or case wise
    03-13-2013 08:49 AM
    Not my experience, sorry. My white 920 is absolutely amazing, fault free. The best phone I've ever had
    03-13-2013 08:51 AM
    " My 920 has light leakage on the screen (some parts of the background aren't entirely black)"

OMG I hear this crap about almost every mobile device! This is not a $3000 THX certified plasma screen! My SO was complaining about this "light leakage" on a $90 Kindle Paperwhite and I was like OMG STFU!

sorry for the rant, just this kind of niggling is ridiculous, first world problems. I'd defend this complaint against any device, not just the 920. You are holding a device in your hand that has more computing power than the space shuttle, be happy with it!
    Daylife likes this.
    03-13-2013 09:10 AM
    i own a black lumia and the only issue i have is a small amount of light leaking in the bottom left corner of the phone which doesnt really bother me. but aside from that all good in the hood over here.
    03-13-2013 10:19 AM
    I got mine yesterday and my unit has light leak in the bottom left corner of the casing (minor), but what annoys me the most is the flickering. It's like a high frequency strobe, you see it mostly on grey/bright backgrounds. When brightness is in high it's insane, it gives me headache. By the way my device came preloaded with Portico, so I guess it's from the second batch of devices at least. Pretty annoying, this is NOT nitpicking, it's a BIG issue. Heading to the shop to get it replaced, I'll report back, wish me luck.
    03-13-2013 10:31 AM
    as for speed the 920 is sooooo much faster than the 900. I remember taking a panorama on the 900 and having to wait (guess) 2-3 minutes for it to process. It's about 30 seconds or less on the 920. That's the only thing about the 900 I thought was too slow, so it's the main thing I noticed with the 920.
    03-13-2013 10:48 AM
    I do get the feeling there are a lot of iOS people - paid or otherwise - who post derogatory remarks on forums. Usually its the weight, quality, blah blah blah.

I have had my 920 for a week.

Pro's:
    Screen is fantastic - I mean jaw dropping. Best mobile phone screen I have seen
    Weight - yes weight. It is the perfect weight for a mobile phone. It reeks quality and in NO way feels too heavy to carry around. I much prefer it to cheap feeling phones.
    OS - very fluid and fast and by FAR the most modern and sexy looking OS on the market. I cant stop playing with it (ooh matron!)
    Call quality - outstanding clarity
    Signal - I am getting clear and strong signal in areas where my iphone4 used to lose signal completely (same network)
    Integration - Microsoft account works very well and syncs everything easily, SkyDrive integration is excellent. To coin a phrase "it just works" <whistle>
    Browsing - Lightning quick browsing experience.
    Camera - stunning quality... cant believe the low light pics are so good
    Office - brilliant... I can actually build spreadsheets on a mobile - wow
    Voice texting - brilliant , I have a 2 hour commute to work and can send and receive texts easily through Bluetooth and voice commands
    Video - very watchable as a movie screen. Image is stable and crisp.
    Music sound - the sound when Dolby is turned on and through headphones is fantastic - it feels as though the music is playing inside you head, like the whole song is just part of what you are thinking.

Cons:
    Battery - only just 24 hrs, but any heavy browsing and it will drain quickly.. I am hoping that this is sorted with an update
    Apps - still quite a few major apps missing (though plenty to be getting on with)... this is less of a con and more of a 'wait for the store to grow' issue
    Accessories - finding there is short supply of accessories in the UK - again that will change.

Overall the best phone I have ever owned by a country mile and I will never go back to iOS. That operating system is ugly, buggy, and a pain in the ***!
    weareinfinite likes this.
    03-13-2013 10:50 AM
    I do get the feeling there are a lot of iOS people - paid or otherwise (you're joking right?) - who post derogatory remarks on forums. Usually its the weight, quality, blah blah blah.

I have had my 920 for a week.

Pro's:
    Screen is fantastic - I mean jaw dropping. Best mobile phone screen I have seen
    Weight - yes weight. It is the perfect weight for a mobile phone. It reeks quality and in NO way feels too heavy to carry around. I much prefer it to cheap feeling phones.
    OS - very fluid and fast and by FAR the most modern and sexy looking OS on the market. I cant stop playing with it (ooh matron!)
    Call quality - outstanding clarity
    Signal - I am getting clear and strong signal in areas where my iphone4 used to lose signal completely (same network)
    Integration - Microsoft account works very well and syncs everything easily, SkyDrive integration is excellent. To coin a phrase "it just works" <whistle>
    Browsing - Lightning quick browsing experience.
    Camera - stunning quality... cant believe the low light pics are so good
    Office - brilliant... I can actually build spreadsheets on a mobile - wow
    Voice texting - brilliant , I have a 2 hour commute to work and can send and receive texts easily through Bluetooth and voice commands
    Video - very watchable as a movie screen. Image is stable and crisp.
    Music sound - the sound when Dolby is turned on and through headphones is fantastic - it feels as though the music is playing inside you head, like the whole song is just part of what you are thinking.

Cons:
    Battery - only just 24 hrs, but any heavy browsing and it will drain quickly.. I am hoping that this is sorted with an update
    Apps - still quite a few major apps missing (though plenty to be getting on with)... this is less of a con and more of a 'wait for the store to grow' issue
    Accessories - finding there is short supply of accessories in the UK - again that will change.

Overall the best phone I have ever owned by a country mile and I will never go back to iOS. That operating system is ugly, buggy, and a pain in the ***!
    How is your opinion in the last bolded statement any better than what you accuse them of saying in your opening statement?
    jdhooghe likes this.
    03-13-2013 08:24 PM
    Another hint that it is a knockoff defect is the top right corner has a sticker denoting it is a "Nokah 玖貳零" and the cheap feel is because it's made from white chocolate and you bought it at Spencer's novelty gift shop.
    03-14-2013 12:14 AM
    You must have a defective phone, it happens with any mass produced product. Honestly the only issue I have had with my 920 is a couple of apps I would like.
    03-14-2013 12:59 AM
    Hold on? Splotchy screen issue? Replace. Took me 2 replacements to get it fixed.
    03-14-2013 03:26 AM
27 12