Offline maps for hiking?

minton227

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I finally got my Lumia 920 and love it even more than I know I would. I hike a lot. Is there a good navigation/ mapping app that can be used offline in the woods? I know Nokia Maps and Drive include offline maps but they are geared toward driving. The trails I hike are not on national parks so the National Parks map does nothing for me.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Adding a spot to favorites in GPS calculator pro stores some area around that spot offline. I imagine it's not quite what you're looking for, but check it out.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The one I found early on is 'gps calculator'. You can use it to import gpx tracks via skydrive, which it will then overlay on the offline maps. You can also record tracks and save those to skydrive. He should really rename it to 'gps toolbox' or something though.. The UI is cluttered, the tile is super ugly, but hey, it works. If you try it leave a review so the guy can keep developing it.
Store link: GPS Calculator PRO | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I use an app called "A route tracker". It only uses GPS and you can recored your routes and play them back as well as use them as an overlay. Check it out I think you will like it. Its like your own map maker. I do a lot of hiking and I like the fact that it doesn't need a data connection to record.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
if you are willing to, you can use the Here Map map creator to create your own custom map and then sync to your phone via nokia account.

buddler

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I think, maaloo geocaching works best so far. I've tried outdoor Navigation, but felt more comfortable with maaloo. Less stability issues than the other alternative.

buddler

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I also use the osm ones, except for some remote locations in the alps. Therefore I use the built-in possibility of custom maps.
In the new version of maaloo geocaching, here maps is an additional option. Hope it'll reach maaloo outdoor soon.

pawelosk

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi, NaviComputer app seems to be the one you're looking for.
I'm using it for my hiking and it allows to download offline maps from 4 different providers: MapQuest OSM, MapQuest Aerial, 4UMaps and HikeBikeMaps.

WP8 Hiker

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I use Outdoor Navigation. The limitation is that most of the "Google Map Terrain" maps do not contain trails and I'd like to be able to zoon in closer. I get 6 to 8 hours out of the battery but I am not constantly looking at the map on the screen. I am using the same phone with the map app running in the background to take plenty of pictures and I still get 6 to 8 hours battery time. I carry and external battery charger which doesn't weigh too much especially considering the phone takes the place of 4 different devices: phone, gps, camera and tunes. I usually charge the phone while I stop and eat lunch even though I know the phone will last 6 to 8 hours without the charge. My hikes are often longer than that. Outdoor Navigation would have it completely nailed if they provided support to download T4 Topo High maps. Then I wouldn't have to occasionally cross reference my GPS map with a real paper map that has the trails included. If there are other choices for a hiking GPS app I would sure like to also try those out.

WP8 Hiker

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi, NaviComputer app seems to be the one you're looking for.
I'm using it for my hiking and it allows to download offline maps from 4 different providers: MapQuest OSM, MapQuest Aerial, 4UMaps and HikeBikeMaps.
I'll give that one a try. It looks promising. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6