Looking at getting a Lumia 920

Rockyroad2

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey I recently got a Samsung Focus, but I kind of want to upgrade to a Windows 8 Phone. Is it worth it to make the switch? I feel so ungrateful for wanting a new one but some apps don't work with the Windows 7 phones and the Lumia 920 really appeals to me. I also had an issue with the screen not sliding up once when I tried to start up my phone. Anyone know what could have caused this?

Also, my parents never really wanted to pay for a data plan so my dad figured he could get around it by getting a cheaper phone on craigs list (I think it was about $100-$150) for the focus. But I had to get the data plan because of the policy, so I might as well try selling my phone and getting a Lumia 920 with the contract and actually make a little money. And I am on at&t.

The ZennyBoy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey there buddy. I find your dilemma very interesting, and I can actually relate. I actually owned a Samsung Focus as my very first windows phone -- in fact I purchased it the very day it was released way back when. It's not a bad phone by any means, and in my opinion, it was the best of the original lineup.

Allow me to be frank though: If you can afford the Lumia 920, upgrade. Before Windows Phone 7 was released, I had a Nokia E72 (which I still have in my drawer). It was a testament to beautifully designed hardware. I cherished it back in 2010 and I still cherish it now. Then I caught wind of the new Windows Phone, and that's when I got my focus. At that point, all I could think was, "if only Nokia made a Windows Phone . . . perfect hardware running a perfect OS." It was like a fantasy . . .

And then it happened!!! Nokia dumped Symbian (which I miss slightly) and adopted Windows Phone OS.

Getting to the point though, lol . . .

Just go to a store and try it out. Or just search this very website, and you'll see all the reasons that the Lumia 920 is arguably the best phone out there right now. You will not be disappointed.

Rockyroad2

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info. And I am seeing that the phone is $20 on amazon. Is the only thing that it does not have that the at&t version offers the wireless charger that I can buy for $50? And my last question is about the data plan. The people at the store told me I had to buy a $20 300 mb data plan, but my sister is currently on a $15 200 mb data plan. Is it possible for me to get on this plan or is it an old offer that is no longer available?

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I honestly agree with the poster above. Moving from wp7 to wp8 is light years ahead of time, although I never... EVER wanna be forced to a contract with a company ever again after TELUS in Canada kept scamming me and stealing my money. If you are okay with that, by all means then go ahead! It's an awesome phone! I would've chosen that phone, but I went with the 8X solely cuz I am audiophile, and I want an audio lovers phone and the display was nice and a sexy design. Other than that, Nokia is a beast and remain number 1!

The ZennyBoy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I honestly agree with the poster above. Moving from wp7 to wp8 is light years ahead of time, although I never... EVER wanna be forced to a contract with a company ever again after TELUS in Canada kept scamming me and stealing my money. If you are okay with that, by all means then go ahead! It's an awesome phone! I would've chosen that phone, but I went with the 8X solely cuz I am audiophile, and I want an audio lovers phone and the display was nice and a sexy design. Other than that, Nokia is a beast and remain number 1!

A fellow audiophile?! Greetings my friend! I must say that I'm partially saddened by the rather average audio quality of the Lumia 920 (almost embarrassed really, lol). I don't even bother using lossless formats on it, lol.

Just curious though, what headphones are you rocking my friend? I own a pair of Grado sr325i. They rock.

The ZennyBoy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. And I am seeing that the phone is $20 on amazon. Is the only thing that it does not have that the at&t version offers the wireless charger that I can buy for $50? And my last question is about the data plan. The people at the store told me I had to buy a $20 300 mb data plan, but my sister is currently on a $15 200 mb data plan. Is it possible for me to get on this plan or is it an old offer that is no longer available?

I'm sorry my friend, but I'm not sure about the answers to your question my friend. I'd rather not give you outdated info. You can always speak with an AT&T rep at your local store.

But hey, if you have any specific questions about the phone, just message my account here on Windows Phone Central. I'll be happy to assist where I can. Cheers!

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

The $20 on Amazon still comes with a contract, so it should be no different from buying directly from AT&T. Of course, as you mentioned, the wireless charger is something AT&T is throwing in for free at the moment. And yes, the $15 / 200MB plan is a grandfathered plan that is no longer available for new customers.

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
A fellow audiophile?! Greetings my friend! I must say that I'm partially saddened by the rather average audio quality of the Lumia 920 (almost embarrassed really, lol). I don't even bother using lossless formats on it, lol.

Just curious though, what headphones are you rocking my friend? I own a pair of Grado sr325i. They rock.

Haha im a failed audiophile though I think because I have used some amazing studio headsets before when listening to studio recordings with my musician friends, but I am also not the richest guy on earth :p so I went with a kinda expensive but with a nice bang to it! Good ol sennheiser, I think the model was like HD280PRO or some crap... So many sennheisers but yeah, then one day.... I fell REALLY badly and broke it... No warrenty covered it... Depressed so I saw during boxing week mobile jamz, which were worth 130$ when they first came out? For 30$! So I said why not, and honestly I have to say awesome stuff! Pretty good, obviously not as strong in bass and whatnot but damn awesome. That with my 8X beats is jizzworthy actually at times :p

Last edited:

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Back to the topic though, whenever that happens to me (seeing a plan not offered anymore) I kinda just ask the reps and seek for alternatives :) keep researching it up and ask away my friend and im sure u'll find a solution which ull be, more or less, pleased with

Rockyroad2

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
The $20 on Amazon still comes with a contract, so it should be no different from buying directly from AT&T. Of course, as you mentioned, the wireless charger is something AT&T is throwing in for free at the moment. And yes, the $15 / 200MB plan is a grandfathered plan that is no longer available for new customers.

Aww that sucks I think that would be the main thing that would convince my parents into letting me get the phone. But I think I may still be able to persuade them because I am probably going to keep the lumia 920 for 2+ years. Wish me luck, and thanks everyone!

The ZennyBoy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Haha im a failed audiophile though I think because I have used some amazing studio headsets before when listening to studio recordings with my musician friends, but I am also not the richest guy on earth :p so I went with a kinda expensive but with a nice bang to it! Good ol sennheiser, I think the model was like HD280PRO or some crap... So many sennheisers but yeah, then one day.... I fell REALLY badly and broke it... No warrenty covered it... Depressed so I saw during boxing weak mobile jamz, which were worth 130$ when they first came out? For 30$! So I said why not, and honestly I have to say awesome stuff! Pretty good, obviously not as strong in bass and whatnot but damn awesome. That with my 8X beats is jizzworthy actually at times :p

Hahaha . . . failed audiophile? I've never heard of such, lol. It's really not about what you can afford though (to a degree, lol). You just have to realize that not all audio is equal -- and then do something about it. Bad audio is like seeing in black and white -- it's there but it's missing the fine details. If I may suggest a good starting point, Grado also make a killer entry level model, the sr80 I believe. Whatever the case rock on brother.

(Now that I've veered off topic . . . haha)

Rockyroad2

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I've also read some complaints about getting scratches from the cases and dust underneath the front facing camera. Are scratches only happening to the matte phone and how serous is that dust issue?

The ZennyBoy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've also read some complaints about getting scratches from the cases and dust underneath the front facing camera. Are scratches only happening to the matte phone and how serous is that dust issue?

I'll be straight with you my friend, the dust issue is very real. In fact, I have it under my ffc lens right now. Here's the thing though, there are many solution's that nifty people have done to prevent the dust. Some use compressed air, some simply use a case, and some have even *gasp* opened up the phone to seal the exposed area themselves.

While all these methods are effective in their own right, there's another method that just as many people have implemented: doing nothing. Frankly, I just don't really care that much -- despite my obsession over cosmetics. If I want, I can get rid of it when I want to, but I simply don't see it as a major issue (not yet anyway, lol). Everyone has a friend(s) that are experienced tech junkies. I figure when I'm ready, I can just have my buddy seal off the area above the camera. Now I know all this might sound pretty grim to someone undecided, but the reality is that Nokia doesn't cover the dust issue under warranty (my source is this very website. They released an entire article, officially addressing the issue directly). So that's why I've just come to terms with it. At the end of the day, it's just a front facing camera. It really fades in comparison the beast of a camera attached to the back of the phone. But hey, some people are like the girls on Instagram who feel the need to take self-portraits every hour so the world will know they exist, lol.

Also, the issue with scratches . . . don't sweat it. If you inspect your electronics with a magnifying glass on the regular, you might have an issue. But rest assured, this device hides them very well -- it's uncanny really. The reality is though that hairline scratches happen to any device. But they're really not that noticeable. Not to mention this phone is indestructible. I'm not familiar with reposts of users getting scratches from using cases. If that is the case though (no pun intended), then it's likely a case that was poorly manufactured for this phone. I don't use a case -- I never have. But this phone makes me feel much more confident. I have the Cyan model which has a matte finish -- no case and not one scratch.

Just breath buddy :)
You won't regret this purchase.

Anymore inquiries? Send em' my way.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb