03-24-2013 07:21 AM
44 12
tools
    Why are you not using the cloud instead of Near field communication that granny uses..
    I am all in for clouds! But if clouds are old and if Bluetooth and NFC are the new thing that Androids can do, I need to see how though! For someone like me who can easily lose his phone, I love the clouds as my contacts aren't on my phone - they are in the cloud. I can erase and lock my phone using cloud & restore it too.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-23-2013 03:30 PM
    Android has a cloud too everyone has it, even amazon has a cloud..tesco has one ...lol...anyway Cloud Computing – Is Your Personal Information Safe in the Cloud?
    03-23-2013 04:10 PM
    Android has a cloud too everyone has it, even amazon has a cloud..tesco has one ...lol...anyway Cloud Computing – Is Your Personal Information Safe in the Cloud?
    So now you are saying everyone has a cloud but we should not use it? My personal information isn't safe anywhere. Not even on my phone or my home. But at least using cloud I have the ability to lock and erase my phone remotely. Without everything being linked to my cloud, I could have had that ability and the ability to restore things. Things stored on phone and memory card are owned by one who steals my phone. But things on my cloud are mine!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-23-2013 04:37 PM
    FWIW, my Galaxy Nexus, which is as much pure Android as you can get, doesn't store contacts locally, it syncs them with the cloud, and can access them offline. Exactly like my previous Windows Phone.
    Laura Knotek and rockstarzzz like this.
    03-23-2013 04:49 PM
    Well look I am not saying that you are wrong, I'm saying that I'd like to have a phone that gives you many options so you can choose, for example you were all suggesting to go for an old phone because transfering contacts to the sim is old fashioned and there's the cloud..so buy an old phone, that's why I posted, I have just replied that you don't need an old phone but a new phone that gives you more option, I'm not for the android only..I'd like WP8 to add more features and make everyone happy
    Does Android let you store locally? I'm pretty sure Android phones all use Google Contacts to sync contacts. I see no disadvantage to using the cloud. It just makes sense. I can reset my phone a million times and all my contacts are still there.
    Laura Knotek and rockstarzzz like this.
    03-23-2013 05:12 PM
    I also own an awful Galaxy Ace, which is just my Endomondo device. My contacts are synced with the cloud as well, but there's a separate phone contacts list I'll never use. I guess it's up to the maker to include it, but I find it pointless.
    rockstarzzz and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-23-2013 05:22 PM
    Does Android let you store locally? I'm pretty sure Android phones all use Google Contacts to sync contacts. I see no disadvantage to using the cloud. It just makes sense. I can reset my phone a million times and all my contacts are still there.
    yes
    Galaxy S III
    Support
    Questions about Manage my contacts
    Copy contacts between your SIM and your phone

1. Find "Import/Export"•Press Apps.
    • Press Contacts.
    • Press the Contacts tab.
    • Press the Menu key.
    • Press Import/Export.
    2. Choose option•Choose one of the following options:
    • Copy contacts from your SIM to your phone, go to 2a.
    • Copy contacts from your phone to your SIM, go to 2b.
    2a - Copy contacts from your SIM to your phone•Press Import from SIM card.
    • Press Phone.
    • Press Select all.
    • Press Done.
    2b - Copy contacts from your phone to your SIM•Press Export to SIM card.
    • Press Select all.
    • Press Done.
    • Press OK to confirm.
    3. Exit •Press the Home key to return to standby mode.

The Samsung Galaxy S 4 will be about the same
    03-23-2013 06:28 PM
    So now you are saying everyone has a cloud but we should not use it? My personal information isn't safe anywhere. Not even on my phone or my home. But at least using cloud I have the ability to lock and erase my phone remotely. Without everything being linked to my cloud, I could have had that ability and the ability to restore things. Things stored on phone and memory card are owned by one who steals my phone. But things on my cloud are mine!

you can erease your phone with any mobile security you don't need the cloud
    03-23-2013 06:31 PM
    you can erease your phone with any mobile security you don't need the cloud
    How can I erase my phone when it's stolen and is about 50 miles away from me, without using a cloud? What service do you use on your SGS3?
    03-23-2013 06:39 PM
    How can I erase my phone when it's stolen and is about 50 miles away from me?
    You set up your mobile security and you do it from a different phone...almost all the best mobile security have this option, I had it with kaspersky but also others do have it
    03-23-2013 06:41 PM
    You set up your mobile security and you do it from a different phone...almost all the best mobile security have this option, I had it with kaspersky but also others do have it
    That's from Google Play - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.kms&hl=en_GB

If you read description you would know that whatever security you are on about, uses "cloud services" - so yeah do it from different phone, do it from online cloud via a laptop - you are using a cloud!
    03-23-2013 06:45 PM
    That's from Google Play - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.kms&hl=en_GB

If you read description you would know that whatever security you are on about, uses "cloud services" - so yeah do it from different phone, do it from online cloud via a laptop - you are using a cloud!
    LOL no it's not done through the cloud, the stolen phone doesn't need to be connected ... doesn't even need a connection...it's done from a phone call or sms that starts the security and it does a lock, erease, if has a gps gives you the location..sending a message back
    03-23-2013 06:52 PM
    I pasting an example from Kaspersky mobile sec 9
    To enable the Block function:
    1. Select the Block item on the Anti-Theft tab.
    This will open the Block window.
    2. Select the On value for the Block mode setting.
    3. In order to display text on the screen of a blocked device, select the Text when blocked item and fill in the
    Enter text field (see Figure below). When the device is blocked, the text Device Blocked is displayed on the
    screen by default.

If the Block function is enabled, you can block the device using the following methods:
    • Using Send command. This requires a second device where Kaspersky Mobile Security 9.0 is installed. On the
    second device, a special SMS message must be created and sent from Kaspersky Mobile Security 9.0. It
    consists of the phone number and secret code of the device to be blocked. Receiving of a special SMS
    message on the blocked device is not noticeable.
    • Using a phone to send a standard SMS message. To do this, an SMS message must be created on the second
    device and sent with the special text and secret code of the device to be blocked.
    To send a command to the lost device:
    1. On the Additional tab, select Send command.
    A send special command window will open.
    2. Press Start.

IN THIS SECTION
    About Anti-Theft ..............................................................................................................................................................70
    Blocking the device..........................................................................................................................................................71
    Deleting personal data.....................................................................................................................................................73
    Creating a list of objects to be deleted.............................................................................................................................75
    Monitoring the replacement of a SIM card on the device.................................................................................................76
    Determining the device's geographical coordinates ........................................................................................................77
    Remote start of the Anti-Theft functions..........................................................................................................................79
    03-23-2013 06:57 PM
    FWIW, my Galaxy Nexus, which is as much pure Android as you can get, doesn't store contacts locally, it syncs them with the cloud, and can access them offline. Exactly like my previous Windows Phone.
    There are two types of contacts on your android phone. GMAIL contacts and PHONE contacts. You must decide which ones you are going to use, but you can't use them both (or you will get duplicates). If you choose to use your PHONE contacts turn off google contact syncing and delete them from the phone. PHONE contacts do NOT sync. You may be getting multiple duplicates from turning on and off syncing. If you choose to use GMAIL contacts delete all PHONE contacts and make all your changes in gmail.
    03-23-2013 07:30 PM
    No, there are not. I know there are on the S3 or, I repeat, my Galaxy Ace, but not on pure Google devices like my Galaxy Nexus or my Nexus 7.
    03-24-2013 03:41 AM
    Google has officially dropped Google Sync as of January 30, 2013 both for other companies like Apple, Microsoft, Blackberry and for its own users on free accounts. Pointless to have on the menu of WP8 'FILTER contacts'... Android phones have 2 options keep your contacts on the phone or sync. I think it's clear we need an upgrade and quickly. I've also read in PC mag 'Specifically, Microsoft's Windows Phone platform. Unlike Apple and Google, Microsoft does not currently support CalDAV or CardDAV on its major mobile platform. That leaves Windows Phone users without a convenient way to synchronize their contacts or calendars with their Google account.'
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...e-windows-8-rt
    http://support.google.com/a/bin/answ...answer=2716936
    I hope they won't come out with WP9 and leave us without upgrades
    03-24-2013 04:19 AM
    Google has officially dropped Google Sync as of January 30, 2013 both for other companies like Apple, Microsoft, Blackberry and for its own users on free accounts. Pointless to have on the menu of WP8 'FILTER contacts'... Android phones have 2 options keep your contacts on the phone or sync. I think it's clear we need an upgrade and quickly. I've also read in PC mag 'Specifically, Microsoft's Windows Phone platform. Unlike Apple and Google, Microsoft does not currently support CalDAV or CardDAV on its major mobile platform. That leaves Windows Phone users without a convenient way to synchronize their contacts or calendars with their Google account.'
    How to sync Google services with Windows 8 and Windows RT - Microsoft Windows Help
    http://support.google.com/a/bin/answ...answer=2716936
    I hope they won't come out with WP9 and leave us without upgrades
    you can have Microsoft (outlook.com) contacts and exchange contacts, and can sync google contacts via your Microsoft account. caldav/carddav are being worked on. no need to panic.
    03-24-2013 05:44 AM
    you can have Microsoft (outlook.com) contacts and exchange contacts, and can sync google contacts via your Microsoft account. caldav/carddav are being worked on. no need to panic.
    Maybe you din't understand well. google is not supporting sync for free accounts anymore, you have to pay
    secondly '''Specifically, Microsoft's Windows Phone platform. Unlike Apple and Google, Microsoft does not currently support CalDAV or CardDAV on its major mobile platform. That leaves Windows Phone users without a convenient way to synchronize their contacts or calendars with their Google account.''''
    for now there's an app to d/l from the store, people ignore it because it is for the new users
    03-24-2013 07:18 AM
    No, there are not. I know there are on the S3 or, I repeat, my Galaxy Ace, but not on pure Google devices like my Galaxy Nexus or my Nexus 7.
    Nexus phone or Nexus7 tab?
    03-24-2013 07:21 AM
44 12